Adults who tattle

totally annoy me - go to the person you are considering tattling about first and talk to them - like an adult - before running to the person in charge!

That doesn’t belong in the Pit. I’m telling!

Sometimes you know it’s not going to work out and it’s not worth it at all to bother speaking to them.

Hell, on one security job I had two co-workers who would completely disappear during our shift - one was repeatedly caught sleeping or watching TV in a student lounge and was widely reported to be off-campus during working hours. If you said anything, he’d just deny everything. So there was no point trying to talk to him about it.

What did you get in trouble for, OP?

Reported.

Reported your reporting.

Reported your reporting of his report.

[Dee]Gimme a [del]quarter[/del]$15.00, I won’t tell on you.[/Dee]

I for one am glad to know that I am not considered tattling if I talk to the person first.

I’m telling mom!

She always did like you best.

Mama’s boy.

Ok, so what are we talking about here, specifically? Because I find the concept of “tattling” really should be limited to stuff that doesn’t matter.

Running to the manager of a movie theatre because someone brought in an outside soda? Tattling.

Running to the manager of a movie theatre because a group is being so loud and disruptive that nobody can enjoy the movie? Not so much.

At work, telling your boss that your co-worker was 5 minutes late from lunch? Tattling.

At work, telling your boss about your co-worker constantly shirking work? Not so much.

In my experience, most of the people who cry “tattling” are people who are not doing petty things, they’re doing stuff they know full well they shouldn’t be doing and who are impacting other people negatively. Knowing that, why would they respond well to someone telling them to pretty please stop being douchebags? In general, they don’t. Sure, don’t sweat the small stuff, but I’m not going to put myself into a big conflict with someone who is going to start with the “you’re not the boss of me” line of reasoning.

snitches get stitches

Do you consider this tattling?

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=12301789&postcount=12

If you were acting like an adult, there probably wouldn’t much for others to “tattle” on you about.

It’s one thing to report something to the mods, it’s another thing to make sure that people know that you did, as if there are prizes available.

I saw you kill that man, and I’d like to talk to you about it before I tell anyone.

Cue “It’s Suppertime” from Little Shop of Horrors.

I just remembered that I only have that movie on VHS. I’d better surf on over to Amazon and remedy that…we still have a couple of VHS players, but neither are hooked up to a TV at the moment.

The point of telling people is so that the mods don’t get a bunch of reports. It’s quite useful with spammers, especially.