Advice on whistle blowing at work

I have it on good authority that while my new job is something to be very thankful for, if you want to get the bonus commission rate, you need to go to a certain kind of church. The president , his stepkids, the kids of his second wife, and his son-in-law, and some of their friends all work here. They’re great people, and they are an asset to the company, but apparently there’s a secret BYU-type handshake that you need to know to get the secret bonus.

Anyone got good advice on who in some kind of American employment code enforcement might be interested in this? I’m assuming that this is illegal. Let me know if it isn’t, technically.

You might check out info. on discrimination in the work place based on religion:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/fs-relig_ethnic.html

And you might want to find another job. Good luck!

Document, document, document. If you are ever going to blow the whistle or attempt to do so, you need to be above reproach and document the hell out of everything.

I’d probably look for another job as well in case this one really does not work out.

I buy China Guy and Violet’s advice 100%. But your description:

Seems to offer the possibility that Nepotism & friendships and not Religion might be the REAL driving force behind the bonus stuff.

As Violet says Title VII of the Civil Rights Act bans alot of discriminations in alot of situations including religion & including compensation, assignment, or classification of employees.

It is also illegal to retaliate against you for filing. But if you upset this inbred apple-cart, you really may need to look at leaving.

How would I be expected to document this kind of thing when I don’t have access to the books? I understand that oversight agencies would not want to run around chasing down every rumor, but how would I be expected to have proof? Is that really necessary?

BTW, the way I heard it was that it was not based on being extended family, but being LDS.

How new is your new job?

Though you haven’t stated so, it sounds like you are working for a rather small, private company. In general, that kind of company can hire, fire, give or withhold raises, and so forth as they see fit. Unless there’s blatant, documented evidence of religious discrimination, you’re not going to have any luck with Equal Opportunity complaints(whistle blowing).
On the bright side, this type of company ususlly recognizes valued employees that are making above average contributions. If you choose to be that type of employee, your raises and bonuses should be as good as anybody’s. IMHO

Yes! Don’t even try to blow the whistle unless you can make a case.

I just got this job, and other than this, I like it.

So, to sum up, this kind of thing is unattackable, as the books of a privately held company will never be shown to anyone the officers don’t want to include. Ugh.

Waldo! If you like the job, why are you even entertaining thoughts about filing a complaint? As long as the company is paying you your agreed-upon salary, bonus amounts other employees may or may not receive is not your concern anyway, is it? Apply yourself, do a good job, and leave the s*** house lawyer stuff to somebody else. As I stated earlier, if you are performing your job well, and work up to the point that they consider you to be a valued employee, the raises and bonuses will come your way. :slight_smile:

Good Luck!

I’m not sure I agree. Let’s say I’m black in 1965. I start working at Goofus Motors, assembling car doors. The wage looks pretty fair when I take the job, and the people seem to be easy to get along with. Then I find that whites are making 20% more simply by virtue of being white. Do I file a complaint under the Civil Rights Act? Probably.

What’s the big difference?

If you are in a company where nepotism runs amok, you should leave ASAP. Nepostism is a dead weight: it sunks companies.

Because you have to prove it. Brother in law gets a $50k bonus when he hit’s twice his numbers. His target is half of your target. You don’t have a case even if you can get the evidence. Why? I bet your bonus is specified in a contract. You have to fulfil the contract to get the bonus. Or, in places like investment banks, you don’t even have a bonus contract, just generally accepted practice. Which means you have no leg on to sue.

Are you somehow surprised that a privately owned company ends up paying more money to family and friends of the owner? And, AFAIK, this is not illegal.

Areyou sure you’ve got the facts straight?

It sounds to me as if you’ve gotten ahold of a complainer that didn’t get a bonus, & he’s looking for a way to blame anybody but himself.

This can happen too. I’ve had people play mind games with me at work, & I believed they were on the level.

Check out the truth before you ditch what otherwise seems to be a good job.