African American Flag

Today I saw a large poster that depicted flags of various countries. Adjacent to the flag of the USA was a flag that called itself the African American flag. It consists of three horizontal bars: Red on top, Black in the center, and Green on the bottom. I’ve never heard of an African American flag—am I the only guy in the world who didn’t know such a flag existed? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

News to this African American. I can sing all three verses of “Lift Every Voice and Sing” if you’d like.

I knew it existed- the red, black, and green colors are also used in the African-American celebration of Kwanzaa.

And I’m white!

Crap! The one time I miss a meeting and I they decide our new flag.

Teach me about priorities.

Also known as the Black National Anthem – during a 1991 banquet at which that tune was being sung, the idea for a different African-American flag was hatched.

Here are designs of the flag described in the OP, plus three other contenders. The African American Unity Flag combines the old Ethiopian “Lion of Judah” banner, the Stars and Stripes, and the Marcus Garvey Pan-African red/black/green combination which is echoed in the national flag of Malawi.

Another link.

The flag’s proper name is the bendera.

The red-black-and-green correlates to the color of blood shed in our American slave history, the color of our skin, and for the lands of Africa.

Same reasons the colors of the mishumaa saba in the kinara are red, black and green.

Habari Gani and “Kuumba.”

Why is there one?

Probably the same reason there’s a gay pride flag and flags for various other organizations- African-Americans are proud of their heritage, and they want to make themselves heard in a predominantly white society.

The Red, Black and Green flag is the flag of all African people. It was declared so on August 13, 1920 during the International Convention of the UNIA at Madison Square Garden in New York City. This can be verified in the Declaration of Rights of the Negro People of the World, Universal Negro Catechism and UNIA Constitution.

The flag was deemed necessary after a song written by two men J. Fred Helf and Will A. Heelan entitled “Every Race Has A Flag But The Coon” became popular.

So, do African American zombies get their own flag, too?

(Note: This thread was resurrected by a blatantly racist comment, which I’m assuming (hoping) will soon be deleted.)

I completely forgot that I replied to this thread six years ago and when I read the OP I thought, "I’m going to reply with ‘The one time I miss a meeting’ and low and behold, I said the same thing years ago.

I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.

If you’re referring to the song title, it’s a historical fact.

If you’re not referring to the song title, I need you to be more specific about what you think is racist, because I’m not seeing it.

twickster, MPSIMS moderator

Interestingly, if you stare at it for 30 seconds, then look at a white piece of paper, you see the flag of Yugoslavia.

Hell, I completely forgot I started this thread; I think it’s the only thread of mine to become a Zombie.

I saw Jesus. But he was black. And seemed really pissed about something.

It was the song title. I didn’t know that it was a real song.

According to Wikipedia, that convention attracted 20,000 attendees! What it doesn’t say is how many of them were not from the United States. It’s extremely hard to believe that any organisation even remotely representing non-European opinion in Africa could have existed in 1920… especially one requiring long-distance travel for its meetings. Most of the European colonies didn’t even have any organised mass-membership opposition movement at that time.

If you get a chance to read Professor Tony Martin three part series on Marcus Garvey is goes into greater detail on the convention…the flag… plans the UNIA had and etc…
And yeah travis… that song is for real… part of the inspiration of the flag and the song Lift every voice…

Side note… CLinton knowing the third verse off the top of his head seriously won him much love and respect among black folks…

Speaking of the song, does anyone know what these lyrics mean?

I get the food stuff is boilerplate racism, but is there any significance to the number “four eleven forty four?” I looked up April 11, 1844, but nothing seems to have happened on that day.