After Forty Years, I No Longer Live in a Multiple Cat Household

Sad news today.

I had to put my cat Swipesy to sleep today. She was 22 years old.

She’d been having thyroid and kidney problems, and some obvious arthritis, but for all that she was a happy, feisty, loving kitty, fond of food and of standing on my chest. Just recently, she fought off a lymph node infection with the help of some antibiotics.

But yesterday, something broke inside her brain, and she was suddenly blind. She was staring wildly around and walking into things. I was torn. I know people do live with blind cats, but the vet’s was closed for the day, and I wasn’t sure what to do.

Then a couple of hours later, she couldn’t get her back legs to work right. She staggered in circles and couldn’t quite make it to the litter box.

I knew the time had come. I made her comfortable on her favorite chair, let her drink water out of a cup that I held. In the morning, breakfast was served to her in bed.

Then I got the car, and the carrier. She protested a little, but not much. I brought her in to the vet’s. The thing was done.

My Swipesy, my little girl, my lazy little kitten. She loved to play fetch when she was young. Now she’s gone.

Now, my younger cat, Shupiluliumiash the Magnificent, (known as Shuppie to his friends, ) is all I have left of my grand clowder that once numbered four of these beloved creatures. Shuppie’s 17, grumpy, and likes to bite toes. I love him, but he’s not much comfort right now.

Swipesy spent many nights sleeping next to my pillow. Or nestled in the crook of my left arm, her head on my chest, purring. My chest was one of her favorite places.

My chest will be lonely, as will the rest of me.:frowning:

I’m so sorry. I actually have tears in my eyes, I’m such a sucker for kitties. Our house has three right now, and recent difficulties have caused me to wonder why I ever got the pair of brothers last spring. But I would be so crushed if they were taken from me. It’s good to remember that when you’re a bit peeved at their behavior. Here’s wishing you comfort as you grieve.

I am so sorry for your kitty and for you. It’s so terrible to lose a beloved family member. Rest in peace, Swipesy.

I’m very sorry. As someone who’s had to make the last “time to go to the vet” decision too many times, I understand all too well what it’s like.

I’m sorry for your loss.
Perhaps a kitten is in your future?

I’m sorry for your loss. 22 years is a very long life so you took good care of her and gave her a good life.

I’m so sorry. Swipesy sounds like a totally awesome kitty, and you did a spectacular job of loving and caring for her. Cats don’t just live to 22 by accident. Clearly, you gave each other all you had, and that’s to be celebrated, even as you grieve.

And when you’re ready, definitely give some thought to adopting another cat (or two or three :)).

I have never had a kitty make it to such a ripe old age! That’s some good kitty-care you’re doling out, TMC. Especially what you had to do yesterday…the hardest part. I’m sorry for your pain.

You’ve got me crying too. You did the right thing, she was too old to learn how to live as a blind cat, poor little sweetie. I’m sorry you lost Swipesy, but you’re lucky you found each other and were in each other’s lives for so long.

It’s heartbreaking, I know, and no cat will ever replace her. Give yourself time, give more loving to the toe-biter, he’s bound to feel a change in his life too.

swipesy is a fantastic cat name, and 22 years is a fantastic life.

i’m so sorry for the loss of your good little swipesy.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and wishes.

Yes, there will be kittens in my future. But not until Shuppie has joined Swipesy and the rest.
Shuppie is the most aggressive cat I’ve ever had, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving vulnerable kittens around him. And he’s seventeen, so I don’t think it would be fair to burden him with tumbling balls of energy. He deserves his child-free retirement.

He really is a sweet cat, don’t get me wrong. But he’s sweet to humans, not other cats.

I am so sorry for your loss. These creatures bring such love and joy into our lives, but this part truly sucks. Give Shuppie some extra scritches and snacks. He will probably need them as much as you will.

That is the awful trade off we make for having them in our lives. We have to love them enough to let them go when the time comes. You gave her a wonderful life. I am very sorry for your loss.

I’m really sorry. Sounds like she was a heck of a little girl.

So sorry to hear the news. Sounds like you and Swipesy had many wonderful years together. My four fuzzbutts will get extra scritches tonight in her honor.

22 years! Wow.

I am sorry for your loss.

Word up from Kinky Friedman

I’m so sorry for your loss. :frowning:

Add me to those who are very sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was a really great kitty, and she was most definitely loved. (((hugs)))

What a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing a little of Swipesy with us. I’m sorry for your loss.