Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D S02E02: Heavy Is The Head (open spoilers)

The Kwisatz Haderach.

Because Joss Whedon.

And have her cut her own arm off before she dies?!

I think somehow she’ll be back.

Coulson specifically mentioned “When Koenig gets back…” when giving orders to prepare for possible evacuation if they were betrayed to Brigadier Adrian Nazihaircut.

Okay, I missed that.

See? I don’t ask for much. Just a line of exposition.

I recognized him right away, both from the Whedonverse and because he’s currently appearing on Franklin & Bash. :slight_smile:

I seriously doubt her character is gone. She’ll be back. Either as a twin, a clone, an android, an alien or “Oh, she just looked dead but it was only a scratch and we pretended to bury her to fake out the bad guys for some mysterious reason.” Also, blue alien serum.

Perhaps like Nick Fury, she’ll be back in the last episode of the season, to wrap up this arc or set up the next one.

I was not paying the closest attention but I completely missed why the English dude’s betrayal was forgiven seconds after he did it. What did I miss?

He wanted to kill Creel for offing Lucy Lawless. He wasn’t turning on SHIELD really, just trying to get them out of the way so he could get revenge. Coulson could admire that (I think he pretty much expected that) and he’s a good field operative.

He’s an agent who breaks the rules to do what needs to be done, but with a heart of gold and a strong sense of right and wrong.

Shaft - can you dig it?

I think the fact that he could have really betrayed SHIELD to Talbot but didn’t counted for plenty too.

So did anyone look at the spoilerific preview for next week’s episode?

Apparently Simmons is Hydra.

I’m hoping it’s a fake out. I don’t want them to add another betrayal. we’ve had enough of those for a while!

I thought it was a pretty obvious set-up for her return as a new supervillain. She’ll return, Evil, play upon the loyalties established for Merc-With-A-Heart-Of-Gold, and after angsting over it, he’ll choose to save the team. Although that will occur after a fakeout right before a cut to commercial, and we’ll only find out his real decision after the commercial break. (There will be quipping, too, mark my words.)

Anyway, the whole scenario bakes in character development for the new character, and gives them Lucy Lawless as a recurring foe. Win-win.

Either way, I’m convinced they’re trolling the fans. At the end of last season, every online discussion was awash with the “Simmons is HYDRA!” speculation. It must have been an irresistible temptation for the writers…

It seems obvious from trailers that she’s working deep cover at Coulson’s request.
Especially considering (upcoming Marvel character appearance) Mockingbird/Bobbi Morse being introduced as head of HYDRA security. I think Simmons will be found out as a SHIELD mole and Morse will have to “deal” with her but it just leads to them both escaping and rejoining SHIELD

I do really love the “fan favorite actor brought on to be killed” trope… I don’t want to see Lucy Lawless again on the show.
It always reminds me of the original plan for LOST (Michael Keaton as Jack and touted as the star of the show but gets killed half-way through the first episode just to mess with viewers)

I actually don’t care for the Hunter character. I’d rather they let Trip be the new “man of action” on the team rather than Skye’s new buddy.

Part of the preview also looked like they were using some sort of brain wash thing on someone (holding their eyes open), and Coulson saying he was tired of losing their best and brightest. It might not be undercover, it might be involuntary.

[spoiler]I think it’s a fake. They wouldn’t put a reveal like this in the preview.

Besides I predicted she was Hydra months ago and my predictions about this show are always wrong.

Which, when you think about it, means my prediction that the preview is a fake will be wrong.[/spoiler]

Chekovs gun

Seems Hartley has a sister, very close and im guessing twin.

Declan

We saw the sister in this episode–both in the photo and at the funeral. Not a twin.

We still don’t know exactly what the First 0-8-4 does. Sure, it seemed to have killed that waitress, and Creel had great difficulty in controlling its effect on him. Skye-Dad told Raina something to the effect of the obelisk not killing her because it didn’t want to (I think I remember that, anyway), seeming to imply there’s an intelligence there somewhere. Hartley’s forearm was cut off and left in the road last episode. Like a lizard that regrows its tail, perhaps the First 0-8-4 can control things it has ‘infected,’ such that it can create an Ebil Mirror Hartley to do its bidding. There’ve been worse supervillain origins.

That and we’ve already had at least two identical Koenig twins (it remains to be seen if the mentioned third brother is a triplet).

Having two sets of identical twin agents replacing a dead sibling would be straining credibility too far even for this show.