Alexander III Russian or French speakers

Again from Twickster’s excellent link, a menu for the coronation of Alexander III.

Can anyone translate it?

There’s a translation at the bottom of the page, after the menus.

First page:
Soup of pureed mushrooms
Bouillon with [something] (“Koren” – might be “roots” - note use of instrumental case :)]
Piroshki ( pastries stuffed with savory fillings)

That’s all I got.

Soup of Grouse
Consomme with Lettuce julienne
Pastry boats with a sort of creamy mushroom filling, and small meatballs
trouts with sicilian sauce [a brown sauce with tomato paste and basil, more or less]
ham medallions with spinach
pate with perigord truffles [black truffles]
<chaud-froid is a dish made hot but served cold, and I can’t dig out my larousse gast to find the recipe for diplomate, prbably something fairly elaborate and fancy> Best guess, sturgeon?
Infamous drink served on the Titanic!
Assorted wildfowl, probably roasted
salad
baby peas and cauliflower with hollandaise sauce
Neapolitan cake with wild strawberries - a sort of stack of cookie like thin layers with citron, almonds, sugar and such, pretty elaborate and a pain to make
parfait of coffee and ices, I am guessing a granita of coffee
dessert - unspecified. Perhaps a classic buffet of lots of nibbly sweet stuff, coffee, cordials set out after dinner on the side to snack on while chatting and dancing.

heh, didnt notice the translation, but I bet they translated the russian version because that isn’t what the french had …

Thanks, aruvgan! I’m making that this weekend.

A “diplomate” is a kind of pastry, although it would be a strange thing to serve between paté and duck. On the other hand, considering the occasion “chaud froid diplomate” feels almost like a pun. Hot-cold diplomat? There’s gotta be a hidden message there.

I wonder why the Russian menu was so different from the French one. It was supposedly the same food that was being served.

The French menu appears to be from the 24th of May, while the Russian menus are from the 27th and 20th.

Thanks, aktep.

with a Q not a G =) and I thought it sounded interesting myself, though I don’t have the stuff on hand to crank out a batch. I could off a guinea fowl and have a go at making the first soup, though pintade isn’t grouse it would be roughly close.

chaud froid diplomat isnt a pastry, it woul dbe more like saying a la diplomate, in the fashion or garniture of diplomate. If it was the pastry diplomate, it would be Un Diplomate de <whatever is done chaud-froid> like diplomate de Pintade a la Espagnole [Guinea fowl fricasse in pastry case with a brown sauce doped with some tomato paste though I admit that I don’t tend to like cold sauces, unless they are fruity and on desserts.]

Does anyone know if this is the dinner party where a German or Prussian told Alexander III that in the event of war he could tie up Russia with three or four divisions, and Alexander tied the guy’s silver fork into a knot?