Allan Sherman appreciation

Absolutely, and of course. While it’s true I was singing about “My men toes” on a bike ride the other day, your thread was the final straw.

Eve, everytime I’ve seen an interesting and provocative thread in Cafe Society I always check to see if it is yours. This is my effort to ride your coattails.

Turn left as Kosiosco
Continue to the third stop light
Then turn around and drive right back
Because I won’t be home tonight!

It’s really tough to find information on Allan Sherman. The best source I know of is Steve Allen’s More Funny People which has a chapter-long biography. Allen had hired Allan to be the producer of his 1962 “New Tonight Show” and so knew him well.

And his version of Greensleeves (Sir Greenbaum’s Madrigal) was priceless, not just for Knighted Vorpal Sword’s quote, but also for

That and the “drapes of Roth” pun that Telemark quoted in the OP are two of the greatest puns in the history of mankind.

A year or two (or three?) ago, I came upon the benefits of Napster late in the game, but I was able to find most of everything Alan Sherman did (and Tom Lehrer, and some of Weird Al and Monty Python,etc.). I have (or had, its been so long) several of his albums and tapes, but after finding a Discography on the web, there were some songs I had never heard before (even though I had five of his albums: My Son, the Folksinger; My Son, the Celebrity; My Son the Nut; For Swingin’ Livers Only!; and Allan Sherman - Live!!! (Hoping You Are the Same)).

Even through Napster (may it R.I.P.), I was not able to find a few songs. One I had heard about for years but never heard: the one mentioned by flowers where he sings the name of all of the states. According to the discography I found, it is from the album Allan in Wonderland, and is called “Holiday for States.” At least I’m guessing that is the song based on the title.

While I’m trolling for songs I don’t have, there were some from my own albums that I couldn’t find through Napster. Maybe some day I’ll find my For Swingin’ Livers Only album and figure out how to record it into MP3s, but until then, anyone have “Kiss of Myer” or “Bye Bye Blumberg” or “Your Mother’s here to Stay” or “Shine On, Harvey Bloom” or “Pills”?

Or from Allan Sherman Live: “Taking Lessons,” “Smog Gets in Your Eyes,” “Sorry 'Bout That,” “Mononeucleosis,” “Dodgin’ the Draft,” “Second Hand Nose,” “Sam You made the Pants Too Long,” “If I Could Play Piano” and “Son of Peyton Place”?

I have MP3s of all the others from the albums I owned (and still own, but who knows where they are?)

From albums I never owned, so thank you to Napster for letting me hear some of those songs, but there are some I’ve not found: from Allan in Wonderland, “Holiday for States” as I mentioned, and also “You Need an Analyst” and “Night and Day (with Punctuation Marks)”.

From “My Name Is Allan”, I have only 4 out of 11 songs, and from “Togetherness” I have only 1 song out of 11, the one being “Westchester Hadassah.”

From his second album, “More Folk Songs by Allan Sherman and His Friends” I have none. The discography says these songs were originally issued on a 78 in 1951 (his first known album, “My Son, the Folksinger” was released in 1962) and was reissued in 1962 to capitalize on Sherman’s new popularity.

Well, excuse me for going on and on, but this thread sure brought back memories. I, too, read the Rape of the APE, which may be thought-provoking and educational and interesting, but is nowhere near as funny as his songs! At one point in my early years I think I had memorized the words to every one of the Alan Sherman Songs on my five albums. I still sing one every now and then… (especially after reading this thread!!!)

I know that no one is allowed to post a link to download copyrighted MP3’s, which I’ll assume these are, but if anyone wants to eMail me just to give a fan a fix (or trade) any of the songs I don’t have, especially HOLIDAY FOR STATES, just click on my Profile button and eMail me!

Good thread. I grew up (in the late 80’s, early 90’s) addicted to my folks “My Son the Nut” album. My friend and I would make up dances and skits to go along with the songs :slight_smile:

Recently my relatives from Arizona visited and my dad was walking around singing the part about “Joe Spivey, he developed poison ivy”…because my uncle’s favorite Arizona Diamondbacks player is Junior Spivey…

It’s all great stuff, I’m glad to know others out there appreciate him and it wasn’t some old misplaced record album we were listening to - it was real comical stuff that lots of people enjoyed.

Now that I think about it, my dad had a lot of cool comedy albums - George Carlin, The First Family Rides Again, the Smothers Brothers (ok not cool…), an All In the Family record…huh, I never thought about that till now. No wonder I have such a “refined” sense of humor. I’ll be taking names from this thread, so I can pick you other “refined” people out in a crowd! :smiley:

Perhaps I have not heard this in a long time, but I always thought it was “give up smoting for good.” After all, this is the mighty Sir Greenbaum singing, and that’s what he does - he smites dragons.

This is the album I have, not “My Son the Folk Singer”. It’s a black cover with the title in white and Allan Sherman’s name in red. Now I’m gonna have to get that out of the garage so’s I can tape it for you. (If I ever find a turntable).

Well, I admit I never actually read the lyrics anywhere… this is what I thought when I first heard the song, and perhaps I’ve “purposfully” heard the same thing ever since…

Oh, what the heck, I do have it on all my computers (the advantage of having all his songs on MP3s) so I’ll listen to it again…

OK, after listening a couple more times, I still think he is saying “smolting,” but it’s not absolutely clear enough to be 100% definitive. The song was originally recorded live and then my copy was re-recorded from an LP, no doubt, which leaves sounds less than crystal clear. (The first time I heard it was directly from the album, though, so I’ll stand by my original story). That’s what it sounds like to me, and given that he also uses “smiting” in the same sentence, it also makes sense to me that he’d use a different term.

I’m not even sure what “smolting” means, exactly, but it always seemed right.

Thank you Olentzero for the thought. If you’re like me it might be years before you actually rummage through your garage enough to actually find the LP’s, but if and when you do, I’d love to hear it! (Hint - it’s even easier to send if you then take your tape and convert it to MP3s!)

This may be kind of late in the thread to be posing any kind of serious question, but as I listened to Sir Greenbaum again I’m reminded of the extent that Allan Sherman’s comedy is “jewish” in nature. Although not religious in anyway myself, my background is jewish and I certainly appreciate jewish culture, so these jokes made sense (and were funny) to me. I just wondering now if those not experienced with jewish culture found them as funny?

And one last thing:
This is my 100th post!
Is there any sort of prize? gee… only 12,000 something odd more posts and I’ll catch up to handy

“Ya gotta have skin.
It keeps your insides in.”

While driving north on Thursday, after starting this thread, I was listening to a CD (“The Producers” Original Broadway cast recording, if you must know). After the CD was done, I put on the radio and the very first song to come on was “Singulars and Plurals” by our boy. It felt like a sign from the good lord above to dig out the old albums and see if I could get the turntable to work.

I have these LPs:
My Son the Folk Singer
My Son the Celebrity
My Son the Nut
For Swingin’ Livers Only
Peter and the Commissar
May Name Is Allan
Allan Sherman Live, Hoping You are the Same
On cassette: Best of Allan Sherman
Singles: “Crazy Downtown,” “The Drop-Outs March”; “Westchester Hadassah,” “Strange Things in My Soup”
I never did get the album Togetherness, the only one in which Allan is not wearing glasses.
Peter and the Commissar is his only RCA album–I think Sherman was under contract to Warner Brothers. Its contents:
“Peter and the Commissar”
“Variations on ‘How Dry I Am’”
“The End of a Symphony”
Sherman did this with Arthur Fiedler and thwe Boston Pops, at Tanglewood, MA, as a benefit for the musicians’ pension fund. The attendance was over 40,000, so they probably raised quite a large amount for the fund. :slight_smile:
From Sherman’s introduction to “Variations on ‘How Dry I Am’”:
*Oh…I should also mention that Mr. Fiedler is the guest soloist in this composition. That’s why he’s here. I mean, that’s why he’s here during this–the one that I conduct. He’s here because he’s HERE!"
I’m very glad he’s here and I’m glad he’s been here the last forty-five years, too!’ *
[audience applauds.]
Right on, Allan. :slight_smile:
From “Shticks and Stones” on My Son, the Folk Singer:

Yasha got a bottle of-a Geritol, Geritol, Geritol;
Yasha got a bottle of-a Geritol, and he knocked a hole in the wall! That’s all! No wall!

God rest ye, Jerry Mandelbaum, may nothing you dismay!
Dis month you had a rotten month, so what is there to say?
Let’s hope next May is better and good things will come your way,
And you won’t have a feeling of dis-May! Next May!

I’m upside down, my head is turinmg around, because I gotta sell the house in Levittown!

Incidentally, about “Sir Greenbaum’s Madrigal,” the word is “smoting,” according to the liner notes: The issue of smoking and health had become a current topic at this time and Allan exploited this with the dreadful pun.

Also: Allan in Wonderland

Does anyone know which LPs have been reissued on CD and if any of the collections are good vs the original LPs?

While we’re appreciating Allan, let’s also mention Christine Nelson.

Not familiar? How about describing her as “The original Sarah Jackman.”

Nelson put out a hilarious album in the same vein: “Did Ja Come to Play Cards or to Talk?” It’s as good as anythinh Sherman ever did (especially “Driving Test”).

and also

It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who still appreciates the Shermanator after all these years.

When we switched to 10-digit dialing, the local idiot morning-show guy kvetched for four fcking months* about how hard it was to dial those three extra digits.

Finally I got fed up and sent him a tape containing Sherman’s

and one of my favorites is

Fenris

Here’s to the crabgrass
here’s to the mortgage,
In fact here’s to sub-urb-ia

Here’s to mosquitos,
Clam dip and Fritos,
To golf and bridge and scuba there.

Men wearing knee pants,
Women in Capri pants,
Discussing what’s with Cuba there.

Each big appliance
Treats you with defiance,
Until it finally falls apart.

Call the repairman,
In a week he’s there, man,
To knock your kitchen walls apart.

Here’s to Allan always wondered where he was, had hoped a nice retirement – sad to see that is not the case

Sherman was a brilliant parody artist. Lehrer (retired from music) was a brilliant satirist. Their work shared only the common thread of humor, but to an entirely different purpose. There is little point in comparing the two. There is every point in enjoying them both.

Originally posted by Telemark

That song was “One Hippopotami,” from Allan’s album My Son the Nut. Allan modeled it after “What Kind of Fool Am I?”