Am I allowed to use the word "****"?

In this post: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=21734222&postcount=18 moderator Chronos forbids me from using the word “****”. I’m not going to use the word in question because a moderator has given me explicit instructions not to use that word again so unless I get cleared to use it, I won’t. Which means that this post may get a little awkward.
I don’t think much of Chronos as a poster (he may be quite fine otherwise, I can’t know that) and I made that clear in a thread about magic mushrooms where I found another one of his arguments to be ill-considered. I made it clear to the point of being a jackass towards him. I could go on about why I was feeling more emotional that day and more frustrated with his way of debating but it doesn’t matter; I should have exercised better self-control. I realized that and sent him a PM where I apologized. He didn’t reply which is fair enough; I owed him an apology and he doesn’t owe me a thing.

His note and instruction never to use the word “" again seems like personal payback, though. Is that allowed from moderators? As long as I’m not directing it at another poster, don’t the rules allow me to use "”? I was referring to painful trigger points in my back muscles. If someone takes offense at my use of the word “****”, can they use their moderating powers to forbid me from using it, even if I’m not directing it at another poster?

It’s the “C” word, people.

But if I use “C word”, people could think I said "chink, “chinaman”, “cock” (or any variation thereof like “cocksucker” or “cockgobbler”), “cracker”, “clogwog”, “colored”, “coon”, “cum” or, the very worst slur of them all, “Christian”.

Here’s Ed’s ruling from a previous thread. If that’s still in effect then yes, that moderation was wrong.

I am not a mod of course, but the restricted words rules were removed last year, and apparently you are free to use that word in the Pit.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=858609

Outside of the Pit, you’re not allowed to direct that word against other posters. I’m not aware of a hard and fast rule against using it as slang for female genitalia. I believe Chronos is in error.

He’s not even using it as slang for genitalia. He’s talking about muscle knots. Perhaps Chronos should be a moderator at neopets if using the word cunt will unnerve him so badly.

Not in America, in my experience. “C” word is “C” word.
(Being told not to use it anywhere on the board seems heavy.)

I sure do.

Yeah, even the Pit restriction was lifted, so mere use of the word is within the rules. And OK to call another poster one within the Pit.

@Inner Stickler: noted. I still think the note was heavy-handed.

Yes.

That’s odd. Chronos is hands-down my favorite poster here. I don’t always think much of him as a moderator, though. This kerfuffle a case in point.

This came up before in the Bad Precedent thread, which ended with

It’s ok if you think he’s a great poster and I don’t. The 4th of July was just yesterday and one of the ideals it symbolizes is freedom of opinion. That’s what’s great about living in a free cuntry.

I don’t know what the current status on using “cunt” outside the Pit is, but note that there have been several rulings in the last couple of years aimed at making the board more friendly to women. Ed’s rulings from 5-10 years ago are out of date.

Yeah, I remember the time one of the female posters* pushing for warning/banning people for making sexuality-related comments got warned/banned for making a sexuality-related comment to a male poster. That was fucking funny.

Would I be allowed to use “berk” instead?
*don’t remember who, it’s been a while, sorry, wish I knew because I’d love linking to it.

As one of the more vocal women*, I have no problem with it. If we can call people dicks, we should be able to call them cunts. Equality! :smiley:

*Other women may feel differently.

Stop interrupting his white knighting with your well-considered feminism. You’re oppressing him!

The word has different connotations in other English speaking nations. Lets not be American-centric.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Not my board and not my rules; but that word used as an insult definitely falls into that category for me.

I have no problem with it used literally in a non-insulting fashion.

I went rapidly away from the thread in which it was used as an insult, though I’d been thinking of commenting there before I saw it. I didn’t try to report it, because not my board and not my rules.

I thought we had agreed to use it, within the guidelines for insults.

A clarification from the mods would be useful.

Years ago I was smacked by my nanna for using the word bum. Nowadays it wouldn’t raise the slightest of eyebrows.

Cunt is gaining the same authority in my humble opinion. For many years it was a word I used VERY sparingly IRL, and those being called a cunt knew that they would be extremely wise to get away from me, post haste.

Now, especially online and conversing with friends on social media, the word is used with gay abandon. From describing the stupid cunts at work, the cunt that cut me off at the intersection, or when the car won’t start…it’s a cunt too.

It is no longer a word to describe the female genitalia at least here in Australia, oh, and by the way, I have one but most of the time I’m not one. :smiley:

Yeah, I think the mod-note was out of line too.