Am I somehow in the wrong for doing this at Subway?

Cheerios.com

I assure you, there is neither strawberries nor milk inside the box.

But on the box is a text saying “serving suggestion”.

The website probably has different rules, though, so maybe the same goes for the image IN the store.

I don’t think the images in a flyer could get away with depcting things that aren’t, though.

There are more than 25K Subways in the United States. This IS an American message board.

Subway was founded by a bunch of heart doctors. They’ve always been super ahead of the rest of the food world with nutritional information and being very precise with it. When they make a sammich, it WILL have the caloric values and nutritional contents they say it will, because they are very precise with portion control. Many of us really appreciate that–because reading the nutritional information from a restaurant then having to figure out whether or not that huge slathering of mayo is normal or how much meat matches the calorie count and did your sammich get blessed with an extra 300 calories you weren’t expecting?

If you don’t like Subway, fine with me, but don’t bother slagging on them because they offer a service that nobody else does that makes it super easy for those who need to rely very heavily on accurate nutritional information to go out for lunch.

For the love …

All I’m saying, and I think all the OP is saying, is that when Subway promotes a particular sandwich and says it has specific items on it, as referenced here:

then it’s not asking too much to have the Subway employees know what a standard Turkey, Bacon & Guacamole wrap has on it, and what sort of wrap it’s in.

I understand I can build my own wrap at Subway, and customize it however I want. I’m not “wishing … the meaning of the message”; *SUBWAY *defined the message, when they listed the specific ingredients of the wrap. All I’m asking is that they give me what they said they would, without me having to remember the specifics of the message.

Ok, so I tried Subway.com and literally the first picture that pops up is an add for $5 dollar foot longs, with little text that says “Subs shown with customized recipe”.

I guess there are multiple ways to interpret that, are they offering a specific customized recipe? or are they saying “give us 5 bucks and you can customize the sub anyway you want”

In the case of “Meatball Marinara” I interpret it as the latter, with them just getting me started by suggesting I put meatballs with marinara sauce on my sub… the rest is up to me. I can see tomatoes, onions, and green peppers (?) in the picture, but I wouldn’t expect them to put those 3 things on without asking me, and I might even have to confirm the type of cheese I want too.

Interestingly it also says “additional charge for extras” - which raises the question what are the extras?
I’d interpret the first part as “we show it in a way you could order it”, and the second part “if you want more toppings, you have to pay more”.
So I’d expect it possible to order one like in the picture. (Well, at least with the same ingredients. They are allowed to beautify the promo images, unfortunately.)

I’ve never felt inconvenienced because I have to tell the person making my sandwich that I’d like spinach, tomatoes, and light mayo. You seriously feel inconvenienced?

As for misled, anyone who’s been to Subway knows this is how it works. If I want a specialty sandwich, I order it then add spinach, tomatoes, and light mayo if it will work with the sandwich (that wouldn’t work with something like a meatball sandwich).

This is a batshit thread. I can’t believe the drama about a sandwich.

Having difficulty finding a good site for subway ads, but here’s one with a bunch of coupons.

Interesting thing. On the front, there is a picture of the sandwich.

On the back, as part of the legal disclaimers, it says “Images are for illustration purposes only.”

Looking about, I see that phrase used on many of the pictures they have of their sandwiches.

Usually that is if you want extra cheese or meats. They sometimes charge if you want an excessive amount of veggies, but I’ve only seen that a time or two. (But I haven’t been in a subway since the deepwater horizon incident, and didn’t go all that often before.)

So for ten years you’ve been going into the same store and asking “what is the recommended toppings for your special?” and for ten years they’ve been telling “there is no recommended toppings”. And this thread is asking the question “should I do this for the rest of my life because it seems like a reasonable question?”. Is that a correct summary of the OP?

Yes. I don’t like having to order something, then continue to babysit my order through around a dozen questions, with lots of interruptions as other workers come into or out of the line (and in the one downstairs from my work, with people squeezing past me because the aisle is too small). Because of this, I generally order online.

If you are a person, like me, who would rather just say “I’d like a #13 in a tub, Mike’s Way, with banana peppers added,” Subway feels like hovering. Sadly for me, Jersey Mike’s isn’t in my building and Subway is.

Is this some sort of crisis? Of course not. Do I eat at Subway less often than I would otherwise? Yes. A Subway salad is something generally safe that tastes fine, which isn’t something I can always find, but I don’t like the process. Is that Subway’s problem? Eh, they probably want more business and they lose mine sometimes. Are there lots of people like me? I don’t know.

I am not misunderstanding you. I’m telling you that to a Subway consumer every such listing comes with the implicit addendum if that’s the way you order it. In a Subway that’s always the implication.

And yes it is asking too much because you’re asking the stores to spend time and effort to learn something they will almost never have to do. When you are making thousands of sandwiches a year, it’s not worth it.

I never thought when I started this week that I’d be agreeing with D’Anconia on ANYTHING, yet here I am. This is your fault, OP…

Here’s the thing…if you don’t like the Subway order paradigm, then perhaps Subway just isn’t the place you should go for lunch. Not every restaurant/diner/fast food place is for everybody.

And no, I honestly cannot even dredge up one of those restaurant/diner/fast food places that’s “not for me” that I would spend the amount of energy people have expended in this thread complaining about. I just don’t go there. And I’m satisfied with that.

Well, gosh, I never thought of that! Shucky durn!

I’m avoiding writing a huge report at work, so talking about Subway has precisely the right amount of diversion without much effort. If you’ve never been in a thread where you are expressing an opinion without a whole lot invested, well, you don’t use the internet like I use the internet.

Subway is a sandwich buffet.
Like any other buffet, they might offer a promotional new item.
'Try our new queso fountain today!"
“Tasty krabcakes now available, yum.”
Also like many other buffets, they might show a photo of a plate in an ad.

Unlike a lot of buffets, in an effort to save on rising sneezeguard costs, Subway allows you personal use of a servant during your visit.
In addition to the stack of krabcakes drenched in fountain queso (shudder) that got you in the door, your servant asks which of the other many available items you’d like.
They don’t know what’s on the plate in the photo and they don’t want to make a wrong guess on your preferred sides.
Your servant wasn’t involved with the creative in the test kitchen or the photography in the ad.
In all likelihood, your servant and his boss and her boss don’t even work for the buffet company.
It’s probably a franchise, pretty far removed from any employees of the buffet company with the name on the sign.

Insisting that the sandwich buffet server make you a plate like in the picture isn’t how a buffet works. At the same time, it’s ok if you don’t care for sandwich buffets.

Yup. It’s why I won’t go to either place.

That’s a great analogy.

And no, I don’t like buffets. :smiley:

(SKWR and Chipotle/Qdoba and the like don’t feel quite as fiddly to me as Subway, despite the similarities.)

For what it’s worth if you go to the online ordering section of the Subway website and click something like Chicken & Bacon Ranch Melt, it does pop up a with a suggested list of toppings that you can, of course, edit to your choosing. However, it does the same thing for a “Turkey Breast” sub. Further, the website does not differentiate between “specialty sandwiches” and things like “Turkey Breast”, they are all just “sandwiches”.

Lastly, under the following categories I’ve listed the number of options available:

Sandwiches - 19
Signature Wraps - 23
Subway FreshFit - 8

So the OP and others are asking a minimum wage (or slightly more) worker to remember standard ingredients for **50 **different options of sandwiches, when the overwhelming majority of customers is going to customize it anyway. Seems like an unreasonable expectation, unless you don’t care that queue times get significantly longer while the sandwich makers consult their 50 page sandwich ingredient manual for every customer.

Has anyone been able to find an add/coupon that doesn’t say “customized recipe shown” or “picture for illustration purposes only”

Just so we’re clear: Your position is, it’s asking too much for a store to provide a customer with something they’ve specifically created, named, promoted and advertised, because “it’s not worth it.”

I give up.