Am I the only one who thinks The White Stripes suck white ass?

Okay, I’m kind of fed up with this duo. The stupid publicity stunt of telling people they were brother and sister when they used to be a couple, their grimy, white-trash look, hell, their MUSIC annoys me. “Fell In Love With A Girl” is toneless, obnoxious, and a complete waste of sound. Why they are getting so much press attention I have no idea.

Their stupid publicity stunt annoys the hell out of me, too. I mean, I’m a journalist, and the last thing I need is to deal with people who lie to the press for fucking kicks.

I do think they rock, though.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say “suck white ass,” but I don’t like 'em. I wouldn’t buy their album, so in retaliation the radio plays the same damn song over and over and over until I switch to talk radio just for the change of pace.

Though when I hear them sing, I can’t help but think they sound like Matthew (Andy Dick) from NewsRadio in the episode wherein he has a midlife crisis and goes punk for a day. (“Meyhem!”)

I wouldn’t go as far as to say “suck white ass,” but I don’t like 'em. I wouldn’t buy their album, so in retaliation the radio plays the same damn song over and over and over until I switch to talk radio just for the change of pace.

Though when I hear them sing, I can’t help but think they sound like Matthew (Andy Dick) from NewsRadio in the episode wherein he has a midlife crisis and goes punk for a day. (“Meyhem!”)

Whoops, sorry about that.

I like that song, but I hated everything else I’ve heard by them.

Eh, sorry. I dig 'em. I like thier minimalism. However I’m not such a big fan that I’ll get pissed at jokes about their “minimalism”.

First I heard about them not being brother and sister. That’s probably the lamest publicity stunt I’ve ever heard of.

they are brother and sister. you’ve got the story the wrong way round. they were believed to have been a couple, but were in fact brother and sister.

I like the Stripes. I think they are harbingers for a progression of regular rock. Not nu-metal, hard rock, alt rock, or indie rock. They are stripping their music down to very basic elements, which is why many people don’t like them. It’s just something that hasn’t been heard much on mainstream radio.

While not a huge fan of the White Stripes, I do appreciate the fact that radio is giving basic rock a chance, rather than flood the airwaves with a zillion whiny, overblown Radiohead knock-offs.

I bought the CD based on the single and the good buzz I was hearing about them. So far, I’m not impressed. However, I’ll back jcmckaig in saying that thankfully it’s not the same tuneless warbling over electronic noise that every other ‘alternative’ act wants to be these days.

I think the White Stripes are godawful. I can not understand why they are receiving so much praise, and its nice to finally see some others that agree with me. Call it minimalism if you want, but I call it a blatant lack of talent and musical ability.

The drumming is so weak that it sounds like the “drummer” had never even sat behind a kit before the recording of their album. And their music sounds terribly thin and flat with no bass whatsoever. The guitar and vocals are nothing special.

If you like them, cool. But it is a mystery to me why a record label is willing to pay them for their music, or how anyone can speak of them as groundbreaking or the next big thing. If this is the next big thing, I’d rather keep britney and n’sync and the five billion rap-metal groups around for a while longer.

You know they don’t have a bass player, right?

I have their first two albums, and I like them alot. I just picked up the last one, only heard it a handful of times at work, don’t like it as much as the first two. Time may change me.

Don’t really think it matters if they’re married, divorced, or brother & sis, doesn’t matter to me anyway.

BraheSilver, you have a radio station that plays them?? Consider yourself lucky. Except for one listener-sponsored station, all we seem to have here is that ClearChannelCrap (Thank you for telling me what I like, may I have another).

And I think Meg is kinda cute!

Anything the English music press hypes you can pretty much discount in advance - same goes for the Strokes: if I wanna hear the Voidoids, I`ll put on Love Comes In Spurts, thanks very much.

I’m not a huge fan of the White Stripes, The Strokes (although I do enjoy them more), or any of those punk-emo-what the hell are we, anyway?-bands.

I get ** Spin ** magazine. This magazine amuses me very much, but I learned a long time ago not to believe in their hype–they very nearly ruined Radiohead and U2 for me with their saccharine adoration of these bands’ “artistry.”

I’m just not a big fan of pretentiousness, and I find pulling really lame publicity stunts like the Stripes did a waste of my time, particularly when I already don’t care for their music.

My god, the Vovoids. I havn’t thought of them in years. They were “big” around the time Rich Kids on LSD were around, right?

Frankly, I think the world needs more entertainers who lie to journalists. I like a good dose of BS, like Vanilla Ice saying he got stabbed in some gang fight. I know if I were famous I’d do it all the time and see how many lies were credible… y’know, keep score. You know why? Because people who care about entertainment “news” pretty much deserve it.
And I have two White Stripes CDs, and they are pretty good.

Yep, that would be why I said “no bass whatsoever”. I meant that literally.

Voivod was, I think, some 80s metal band, not to be confused with the Voidoids, who were Richard Hells band, and part of the 70s CBGBs scene: later eclipsed by Television {Richard Hell was in an early incarnation}, the Ramones, Blondie et al, but very influential, and well worth a listen: they only had one album proper, Blank Generation.