American Idol 2/13--Hooray for Hollywood!

Yeah. I think it was Amanda?

Really?

Man, why do the judges hate America?

I said it before, and I’ll say it again: "Is it so much to ask that they just show me the talent in a vacuum?" (See post #54.) I really think I would enjoy “Idol” much more if they just cut out all this audition crap and went straight to the semi-final rounds, where people sing some stuff and then we vote for the people we like (or not, depending on if we’re “Vote For The Worst” devotees, or what). Instead of 4 weeks of manufactured “drama,” just go right to the part where we get to start eliminating people. I really don’t like being manipulated like this by the Producers. (Of course, I could just stop watching, but where’s the fun in that?)

What happened to the opera girl from NYC? I forget her name. I don’t think I saw her tonight.

I didn’t realize the girl from the Grammys who sang with JT was actually an AI contestant too. They showed her getting cut tonight.

I didn’t see her either. The DVR cut a bit early. Sanjay was consoling his sister when my recording stopped.

I’m puzzled about Baylie and the Jersey Girls. Did it look to you guys like they were still working on the song when Amanda went off to check out the guys?

I hate to say it cuz she turned out to be such a bitch, but Amanda was the only singer who stood out for me tonight.

Poor Baylie. Simon’s “commercial with a capital C” comment probably made her think she was a shoe-in. Those city girls’ll get’cha every time!

Why do some of them sing the same song they used at the first audition? That’s gonna bore the judges, even if it sounds good.

Biggirl, is Sundance the one that Simon was talking about when he told Paula she was giving him too much credit? Yeah, he wasn’t good tonight. I didn’t see his first audition.

Good on Sanjay for going to his sister first, before rejoicing.

That first bit, with sending six women home at once…Mr. Rilch said, “That’s right – do it Hoffa-style!”

So glad Bailey Brown got cut. I was not looking forward to having her cram a rainbow down my throat (tm The Onion).

Generally glad they cut down on the drama and backstories.

Shame about Ashlynn Carr. Also feel kind of bad about Zit Boy and Crying to Daddy Girl…but for the love of crumbcake, people don’t have to invest so much in this.

And oh, how I hate it when people BEG! Or give excuses. And when they bring family members into it, it’s excruciating. I don’t blame Simon for getting up and walking away.

Sundance, man…I like him, sure, but when he got through and the two women did not, I said, “B-latant favoritism, people!” He was appropriately humble, though, so I don’t hold it against him.

I wish more of the contestants with good voices had good memories for lyrics as well. I really, really dislike those two best friend bitches. I just want to watch them leave.

I agree, but the solution is quite simple. Don’t watch it until they get to Hollywood. :smiley: That’s what I do. I guess from what’s going on in this thread, it’s getting about time for me to start watching again.

I don’t even know if I want to watch Hollywood; I pretty much want to skip over the whole “pre-screening” portion of the show and start watching during semi-finals (next week). Of course, I’d miss out on some stuff, like Ian Benardo, but on the other hand … I’d miss out on some stuff, like Ian Benardo.

I mean, I want to care about these people, but only because of their talent. I don’t want to care about Thus-and-Such because of their Harrowing Experiences or Inspirational Backstories or Identity Issues or what have you. Just entertain me! Dance for me, monkeys!

My God: I* have turned into my mother.*

Did anyone else think the “send the whole first group home” thing was a ploy, calculated to scare the crap out of the rest of them? They had so many girl singers they could have afforded to do it, and I wouldn’t put it past the producers…

I’m also glad Bayley got cut. She just wasn’t my type. Also, though I felt sorry for her, she’s young and beautiful and talented…no reason she can’t come back and win it some other year.

If Simon told me not to forget the lyrics, you can bet your behind I’d memorize those damn words, whether I ever got the harmonies or dance steps right or not.

I was delighted that Sanjay got through. Now he can get that badly needed haircut and kick some ass!

I’m also very happy that Chris Sligh is still shining. He’s my early favorite, though I’ll admit it’s more about his personality than anything. The beat-box group was great!

I was glad Shakira Lite went home as well. Apparently she only knows one song and one dance move. Now send the BFF Bitches back too.

Can you believe that one girl had the balls to do the song for her mother and then whine about it? And then she blamed her mom and her mom apologized? And then her mom got on stage to beg for her? Sickening!

I might have been manipulated by Zit Boy if they’d been a bit more subtle with the “my parents don’t love me” angle. As it was, they hammered it so hard, nobody loved his ass. I was disappointed when he called home to tell them he got cut, and the camera cut away before his mom got a chance to say, “I knew you’d fail, you good-for-nothing crybaby!”

One of them already went back home.

I see that now the judges review the tape to whittle them down to 24 (I coulda sworn it was 16). Since they all can sing-- at least according to the judges-- I guess they’ll now look at who showed their asses and pick them. Nothing makes better TV than people who show their asses.

You’re damn right, it was sickening. Listen sweetheart, over the next few weeks you’re going to have to sing many different types of songs from different genres, not just the two you’ve been rehearsing for the last six months, and you’re going to have to sing like a pro or you’re gone. Don’t ya get it? Way to guilt your mom into hobbling out on stage to plead for mercy, and mom, it’s time for some straight shootin’ talk with your daughter. You’re out of your league, honey.

Indeed. When he was on the first time and called his mom, I half expected him to yell, “I’m GAY!” after he told his mom, “Guess what?”

I felt like last night just went so fast after the drag-it-out fest we’ve endured over the last few weeks. I kinda wish they’d spend a little more time on Hollywood and a little less on the early auditions. I was surprised to see Baylee go. Did “My daddy shot himself in the throat” girl make it? Lord, I hope not.

Would someone be so kind as to volunteer to write down the names of those who make it tonight? I’ll probably be on the treadmill while I watch, otherwise I’d do it for all of us. Oddly, I have a difficult time writing things down while I’m on the treadmill.

I totally agree. It’s amusing to watch how different people interact with each other and respond to the pressure.

I’m pretty sure she was cut. I think I saw her in the “room of death”.

Quite the amusing mental image. I pictured your feet flying out from under you as the pencil sailed through the air.

I think I have my season favorite: Chris Sligh. He sings awesome, has a great personality and I really hope he gets the chance to make David Hasselhoff cry. And, really, how often do you see a group during Hollywood that sounds so good as his did?

I think Botched Suicide Dad is in. She was one of the ones they flashed on in the closing shots.

Crying Mama’s Boy…is he this year’s **Inch High Cowboy Guy ** or what?

I was sorry to see Indian Sister get cut. I liked her (and I hope Indian Brother doesn’t get his hair cut…he’s adorable!).

What was the deal with Country Girl and The Best Friends? Who was saying who wasn’t godly enough? I couldn’t quite figure out who was blaming who for the failure (obviously, forgetting the words is your own fucking fault!). And also, clarify this for me…my husband said Country Girl was the one flirting with boys. I thought it was Blonde Best Friend (the one who got cut).

Blonde Best Friend was flirting.

Also, Jesus bin Laden got the axe, right?

Yes, if he’s the full-bearded dude, he got the axe.

Like they say in baseball…if you’re gonna get beat, get beat with your best stuff. To apply that to AI: don’t go down singing a song you don’t like. And now she can spend the next year blaming her mother…that’ll be a fun family.

On the other hand, Simon was wrong. You can’t separate the singer from the song; if she hated the song, she’s not going to put in a good performance.