american idol

if american idol isnt fake why dont they post the votes right on the show why because its all fake the producers pick all

Probably the wrong forum for this. Maybe the mods will put it where it gets the appropriate attention.

Because if they said what the exact numbers were, and Contestant A consistently got three times as many votes as any of the other contestants, then there is a strong likelihood that people would stop voting for Contestant A since “they don’t need my vote”. The system would degrade.

Also, I now fully agree with Rhythmdvl.

Familiarize yourself withthe history of television gameshow scandals and their heavy regulation by the FCC, leatherband.

This post brought to you from 2003.

Ahh, yes, back in the days before punctuation. I remember them fondly.

I don’t. People still talked about American Idol. :wink:

That is a horribly written article and not particularly accurate, either.

But if one is really interested in the controlling legislation, it’s codified at 47 USC § 509, “Prohibited Practices in Contests of Knowledge, Skill, or Chance”, originally passed by Congress in 1960 as an amendment to the Communications Act of 1934.

In particular,

This is a criminal statute, not an FCC regulation, and persons found guilty are subject to a year in jail and up to $10,000 in fines per count.

I don’t think the producers of the most highly rated reality show ever are going to risk it.

How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking?

Nowdays they probably don’t post the votes since they don’t want people to see how much viewship has fallen off.

I don’t think leatherband is coming back. From the looks of his post, I’d say the producers got to hi

While I agree that the likelihood of American Idol producers “fixing” the results are extremely low given the fact that, when (not if) it was discovered the value of the program would bottom out due to voter revolt, there is a legal argument (not necessarily persuasive) that 47 USC § 509 doesn’t apply to shows like American Idol or The Voice that rely on viewer votes.

To wit: 47 USC § 509 only regulates conduct in relation to a “purportedly bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge, intellectual skill, or chance.” Thus, the operative question becomes is singing an “intellectual skill”? Alternatively, does the fact that the results are purportedly determined by viewer votes make it a “purportedly bona fide contest of … chance”? I think an argument could be made either way, and if the producers were asking for my legal recommendation, I would advise them to err on the side of caution and refrain from any action that could be construed as engaging “in any artifice or scheme for the purpose of prearranging or predetermining in whole or in part the outcome” of the competition.

Just food for thought …