American Indian names for pets

My dog, Penny has the American Indian name, “Farts a Lot” for obvious reasons.
My Wife’s dog, who gingerly takes treats from my hand and, if they are large, drops them, has the name “Drops Her Cookies”.
What is the American Indian name of your pet?

My dog’s Indian Name is “Loves to Sleep”

This seems about as tasteful as “African American nicknames for pets”…

Good point. Is it Cultural Appropriation?

I don’t know whether it’s exactly cultural appropriation, but I don’t like it at all. How is that sort of name formation specifically “American Indian”, anyway?

If you want to name your dog “Farts A Lot”, then name your dog that. But don’t blame it on an entire and hugely diverse – I was going to say “ethnic group”, but the term covers a whole batch of ethnic groups.

American Indian names for pets. That’s racist! The next thing you know is you will be wanting to look at pictures of African American ladies while eating pancakes or name a mall after a conquistador.

The younger of two siblings we call One Man Bucket for short. :wink:

They should call it a “What we used to call Indian names but is really just a short humorous descriptive name” or a “WWUTCINBIRJASHDN” for short.

I thought this was going to be about dogs name “Chief” or “Scout.”

My kids, being 1/2 Native, have actual Indian names, given to them at naming ceremonies by their uncle. I was initially taken aback by this thread, but then realized the Native people I know would probably enjoy the (potential) humor as much as anyone and I decided to lighten up.

Breathtakingly racist.

I’m simultaneously impressed by your reaction and embarrassed/sad that you have to deal with it.

Mine are named Yoshie, Daisy and Midna (named after Nintendo characters).

How about changing the question to, “Suggest a descriptive name for your pet, in the way that some Native American indigenous people do for their people.”

Would that be a less offensive way to describe the situation?

I rather doubt there was a single naming pattern common to all tribes.

Absolutely correct. The “Dances with Wolves” kind of name is mostly the Plains tribes.

[quote=“Dewey_Finn, post:13, topic:912164, full:true”]
How about changing the question to, “Suggest a descriptive name for your pet, in the way that some Native American indigenous people do for their people”

Would that be a less offensive way to describe the situation?
[/quote] Farts A Lot. Drops Her Cookies. Loves To Sleep.
What do you think? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It appears that this thread is more about “Suggest a descriptive name for your pet that MOCKS the way some Native American indigenous people do for their people.”

If it’s wrong it’s not because it’s “cultural appropriation”, it’s because it’s taking the piss. Jokes like this are not necessarily terrible, but it seems like dubious ground, so I’d want to find out how offensive Native American people would find it, that’s what matters.

Frankly, those sound a lot more like names for Care Bears than Native Americans.

I thought “Farts A Lot” sounded like a Monty Python character:

Sir Farts-a-lot

I would have sworn a saw a post from a mod saying he’d locked this thread. But it’s alive again?

Everything on this site seems to mutate now. What is now, wasn’t a day ago, and probably will be entirely different again in an hour.