American Ninja Warrior

Dang, that intro was even more predictable that what I’m desperately hoping the remainder of this contest won’t be.

AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR JUNIOR 2 - BLOCK C PLAYOFFS

No preview for the 9-10 wildcard, so I’d just like to point out that “only” is rapidly becoming the most abused word on this iteration of ANW, and we get another example as Eyes proclaims that Trinity Rocho won their first matchup by <<<ONLY>>> five seconds. Five seconds? You’re trying to blow off a spread like that? What do you think this is, a 10K run? Damn. :smack:

= Wild card match 1: Trinity Rocho vs. Jax Neubauer =
Even at the start. Neubauer hesitates at the start of Little Dipper, and Rocho slides ahead. Neubauer loses his footing on Spider Walls, makes a very pretty save, but loses even more ground. Rocho has bad form at the start of Flying Squirrel and Neubauer almost catches up, but it’s for naught as he splashes on the first transition.

Well, that was…to the point. Bars gives Brynli Smith some advice on Little Dipper. Shots of Grant McCartney and Meagan Martin.

Owen Pham is out for “redemption”! What kind of redemption, you ask? Elbow redemption, you fool! Carter Samuel plays hockey! And is probably not very good at it since the profile immediately segues to the “inspiration” fluff! This bullcrap is really short in playoffs, though, so I’m still reasonably happy! :slight_smile:

= First round match 1: Owen Pham vs. Carter Samuel =
And…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

…WHAT?? :eek::eek: Seriously, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT??? :eek::eek::eek::eek: Samuel went down on Shrinking Steps! Nobody’s gone down on Shrinking Steps! Hell, nobody ever goes down on the first obstacle! At least nobody the selection committee (there is a selection process for this, right?) would ever give the time of day! Between this and Blake Feero’s foot fault, that’s two complete shockers that didn’t have me spitting out mads and smacks like a machine gun. Here’s to playoffs! :smiley:

Just watched it again with sound, and you’ve got to get a load of Bodge’s reaction. This is normally when he breaks out the window-shattering “woooatt!!!”s and goes into full armageddon mode. Here he sounds exasperated. “Aw, geez, not this crap again. I’m not getting paid enough for this.” My word…could the mask be cracking? Could he, despite all his ferocious efforts, be turning…gulp…human?? Can’t happen soon enough, says I! :slight_smile:

Arr does a rather pointless interview with him, whereupon he promptly breaks out the word “Phamily”. :rolleyes: Oh, crap. No way in hell did he come up with that on his own. He’s being groomed, I tell you, and with that much “redemption” treacle bookending roughly 8 seconds of work, it pretty easy to imagine for what.

Brynli Smith is bringing even more damn “redemption” to the table! Man, Eyes is really trying his hardest to save “only”, isn’t he? :rolleyes: Trinity Rocho is still doing the overcrowded RV thing! To help her work out, her dad built a collapsible jungle gym, which…okay, it looks structurally sound, at least. (I’ll take my positivity wherever I can.)

= First round match 2: Trinity Rocho vs. Brynli Smith =
Even after one…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

Aaaaaand, welcome to the prestigious You’re Supposed To Put Both Ends On The Track, Stupid! Club, Rocho! :smack::rolleyes::smack: Sheesh, I knew you were a big underdog, but can you at least go down swinging?? This group sucks.

= Wild card match 2: Carson Dean vs. Jack David =
(Thanks for clarifying the Roberto Garemore situation, Huffleclaw. The show never explains these things, and I don’t care enough to do any kind of research, so it’s great that fans like you have my back. :)) On to what should be the best wildcard match of this event, which is not saying much, but again, positivity, dammit! It’s a tight one at the start, with both boys seemingly struggling to stay controlled in top gear. On to Double Tilt Ladders, which has always been the separator…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

…and here it promptly separates me from yet another precious chunk of my sanity as Dean falls off the first ladder. I kid you not. That’s all that happened. He hands were on, and then for reason that not even Kasen Ibaraki could possibly fathom, his hands were off. On the replay, Bodge tries to spin it by saying that the ladder descends suddenly. I’m sorry, did Dean manage this obstacle properly three times and then simply FORGET why it’s called Double Tilt Ladders? What is it with kids getting to playoffs and then completely failing to execute at all like utter morons?

Side note: Oh yeah, constantly harping about times during the one part of this contest where they don’t matter at all, that makes a ton of sense! :smack:

Quick profile of Jordan Carr. If a girl is 12 years old, how much of a concern does a slow-motion close-up of her shirt flying that far up actually raise? (Oh, come on, you think any of my friends have time to waste on this nonsense?)

= First round match 3: Jordan Carr vs. Lexi Vasquez =
Carr has quicker feet and more courage on the dipper bar and takes the early lead. Vasquez hustles on the first ladder and evens it, but Carr simply reaches to the second ladder, then does a nice, clean 3rd dismount…then hesitates at the start of the blocks. Vasquez dismounts from the middle and nearly catches up. No development on the blocks, and Carr is the first to Wing Nuts. She makes the first two transitions quicker…and gets hung up on the final nut! She squanders precious seconds getting re-straightened, allowing Vasquez to catch up! Carr dismounts first by a split second! They’re up the wall! And…no upset, Carr springs straight to the buzzer and hits it first.

Man, this was a really good contest, and it’s just a shame that someone had to lose. I really hope we see Vasquez again; she’s a top girl all the way and definitely earned more than she got. As for Carr, I admit I was sleeping on her since none of her wins were convincing, but she definitely convinced me here. Looking forward to an even better quarterfinal!

Sean Arms has a powerful upper body, which shouldn’t be news to anybody. The real story is that he donated $1,000 to a breast cancer charity. That’s a helluva lot of money for any 11-year-old, and I gotta wonder what’s been going on behind the scenes to encourage such generosity. (Which, given the usual proclivities of reality TV, I will be taking to my grave. It’s okay, I’m used to it.)

Um, word to the wise, Eyes…if Jack David lost but locked up a wildcard spot, he was not eliminated, so DON’T USE THE WORD “ELIMINATION”, YOU UNGODLY IMBECILE. Good Byakuren, the sheer number of words being positively butchered here would have Inigo Montoya spinning in his grave.

= First round match 4: Sean Arms vs. Jack David =
Arms is briefly ahead going to the dipper, but David zips right through and passes him. Both go for 3rd dismounts on the ladder; David does his faster and stays ahead. Blocks are a non-factor, and now Arms…eh…ehhhhh…no. David is no slouch in the upper-body department and gets through the nuts faster, and he still has no fork stuck in him, folks.

Oh yeah, “epic”, there’s another one. :smack:

Little sidebar here about records. You may have noticed that I haven’t made too much of a deal about them this season. Part of it is due to wildcards, meaning that winning the day is no longer strictly necessary, but the big reason is due to the completely nonsensical and borderline insane groupings in prelims. To give one obvious example, whose akutaq-brained idea was it to put Kaden Lebsack and Blake Feero in the same prelim? We’ve seen time and again that romping over scrubs means nothing, while fighting tooth and nail before losing a close one to a powerful adversary can lead to triumph when it actually matters.

Case in point, Ella McRitchie and Caleb Brown, 0-2 and 1-2, respectively, making this a dismal matchup on paper. But look behind the numbers and you get the real story. McRitchie lost her first match due to slippery shoes she somehow didn’t discover in time (a terrible break which honestly could’ve happened to anyone), then did far better in her real but against a much harder opponent who edged her out. Caleb Brown got immediately thrown into the lion’s den against Vance Walker, which in any event with an IQ above single digits would’ve been a quarterfinal matchup at the very earliest. Guess what, turns out they actually were better than all the other also-rans in 13-14, so they get another chance. That’s simple justice, folks. I know it’s an uncommon commodity in reality TV, but you shouldn’t be surprised when it happens.

= Wild card match 3: Ella McRitchie vs. Caleb Brown =
All the credit to McRitchie for making it a contest, but she just wasn’t ever going to win this one. Brown stayed a step ahead all the way to Sky Hooks, where his superior upper-body control put it away by a comfortable margin. McRitchie has the distinction of becoming the most impressive 0-3 contestant I’ve ever seen, a mark I doubt will ever be seriously challenged.

Tippa-tricka by Megan Martin about Sky Hooks.

Recap of Josiah Pippel. It looks like “Junior Giant” is going to become a thing. If he’s ever part of the main contest, I’ll have something. Vance Walker has a lot of pressure on him, which is what happens when you get Caleb freaking Brown in your first first first first first first first first first match. Seriously, what the hell was someone vaping, and can we ban that there too?

= First round match 5: Josiah Pippel vs. Vance Walker =
Even through one, and… :eek: More drama! Pippel fails to get a grip on the dipper bar and falls to his knees! He manages to right himself, but he’s off-balance…or shaken…or just got a harrowing vision of the increasingly-overcrowded You’re Supposed To Put Both Ends On The Track, Stupid! Club…and completely whiffs on the bar! He finally gets going, but there’s no making up that big a deficit against Walker. Oh, man, this had the potential to be the best match of playoffs, and it’s decided on the second obstacle. Heartbreaking. :frowning:

I find it hard to believe that Josh Auer actually wants 100% of his identity to revolve around an article of clothing. We’ll find out in a few years, I guess. Caleb Brown’s hobby is taking pictures, which I guarantee you will, in fact, last longer than his desire to be in badly broken reality show contests.

= First round match 6: Caleb Brown vs. Josh Auer =
Man, I think I mentioned this before, but you cannot look away for a moment when the top boys hit the course. They are, as Bodge would put it, dee-ay-emm-enn eff-ay-ess-tee. Auer hangs in there but is simply in over his head, taking the plunge at the end of Sky Hooks.

= Quarterfinal match 1: Brynli Smith vs. Owen Pham =
Hahh…you had a good run, Smith, but it’s time to face the music; you’re…slightly ahead after the dipper? And still slightly ahead after the walls? And still ahead after the blocks?? Oh wow, she has a chance! But alas, she can’t match Pham’s lache skills, as he makes the first transition…then the second, and he’s in the lead. Smith is taking, big, biiiiiig, biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig swings and wasting too much time (she got completely inverted on the second bar pair!). And coming up way short on the wall seals it. This Vietnamese Vector of Vroom is legit! :slight_smile:

Interesting how Eyes’ and Bodge’s stance on girls crying is now “You know what? You wanna cry, cry. We’re not going to fight it or make excuses anymore. We don’t care.” Can only deny reality so much, I guess.

= Quarterfinal match 2: Jack David vs. Jordan Carr =
Even after one. David pulls the trigger a tick faster on the dipper and takes a super-small lead. On to the ladders, where Carr actually has better rhythm, makes a powerful 2nd dismount, and takes the lead! It’s a tight…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

:smack: Guess how this one ended! If you said “Carr, after apparently using up all her running ability, composure, and dignity in the Vasquez match, stumbled like Wile E. Coyote in rocket boots on Block Run and did an impressive pratfall into the water”, you’d be partially correct, because I couldn’t even see where she stumbled! She just went left and kept going until there was no block area left beneath her feet! I…that is… :smack: Haaaaaaahhhhhhhh… :smack:

= Quarterfinal match 3: Caleb Brown vs. Vance Walker =
Geez…just give Brown an out. Anything. He deserves better than this. Anyway, blah blah no miracle blah blah Walker rules all blah blah I freaking hate this show blah. :frowning:

Block C semifinallists: Owen Pham, Jack David, Vance Walker

Pham is a good winner, and I’m actually pulling for him to win it all. (It’s not good that he made his debut under the cloud of an Acceptable Story, but he can overcome that.) David, to put it mildly, has not convinced me at all. Everyone he’s beaten so far has been either not ready for primetime or an inopportune choker (You had ONE JOB, Carr!); I am not looking forward to seeing him and Daniel Woods compete on the same day. Walker is so many klicks ahead of everyone else that 13-14 has become downright depressing (even more than usual). He is a ringer. By rights he should be getting started in a real sport, not some cheesy Amateur Nite show, and here he is blowing the doors off of everyone and giving the final day all the thrills and suspense of a Presidential press hearing. He is the faitest of accomplis (accompliest of faits, whichever).

Hahh…twelve down, five to go. Still holding out hope. Somehow.

Just a reminder that Ultimate Tag premieres on Fox on March 20th; the second season of The Titan Games begins on NBC on May 25. Both look like they’re going to be a lot more exciting than this year’s ANWJ. It’s wavered between predictable and depressing nearly the whole way, and now it looks like there isn’t even any point to watching the rest of 13-14. Hoping for a huge breakthrough in the final block, but I’m not counting on it.

We begin with a music video by someone named Grace Moon. Mmm. Girl, when you do get a day job, don’t quit it.

AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR JUNIOR 2 - BLOCK D PRELIMS, DAY 1

“Coveted.” That’s another word that gets grossly misused on this show. I should make a list.

Jeff Baumgarten assists his father Mark in his secondhand auto parts business. In the process developing a work ethic, getting a leg up on learning a useful trade, and living in the real world. I know they’ve already given us this type of story a bunch of times, but I can’t hear it enough. Here’s to boys who are not useless, shiftless jerks! :slight_smile: Right off the bat he gets a tough test against Kaden Forsha, who made it to quarters last year and now has several more months of training under his belt.

= Exhibition 1: Kaden Forsha vs. Jeff Baumgarten =
Forsha gets off to a rough start, making the too-common stupid blunder of looking at his opponent at the start of the dipper and giving up a big lead. Forsha has slightly better speed on the walls and closes the gap…but he <<STOPS!>> and <<WAITS!>> at the start of the blocks… :smack: I can’t…I don’t… :smack::smack: WHY?? WHHHHYYYYYY??? This is almost as bad as Collin Cella’s meltdown! Luckily for him, Baumgarten takes too long to get going on the free bars, and he one-times the dismount to take the lead. Bit of stumble on the runup, but it’s no sweat when Baumgarten completely falls down. :smack: This is one of those days where I’m sure there’s something in the water, and if there isn’t, there will be pretty soon. :rolleyes:

Jeeziz, at this rate Eyes is going to praise someone who almost manages to get the other end on the track. :smack:

Arr interviews (:rolleyes:) (also :smack:, but mostly :rolleyes:) the, ahem, triumphant Forsha, where he proclaims that “I’m ready to crush it!” I sure as hell hope so, because he hasn’t come close so far. Also, dyslexia! :rolleyes:

Shots of Albatross, Jessie Graff, and Drew Dreschel.

Airen Anfinson hates her brother! In other news, the Catholic leadership is full of hypocritical scumbags! (Ask me about my own sister sometime!)

= Exhibition 2: Skyler Awalt vs. Airen Anfinson =
Awalt slowly pulls ahead, then Anfinson slooowwwwwlly get going on the dipper, then she slllllllooooowwwwwllllly makes her way across the walls, then Awalt (FREAKING FREAKING FREAKING) wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiittttttssssssssss at the start of the blocks, then oh my Hina, Forsha is going to run away with this, isn’t he? :smack:

Well, there was yet another glorious failed attempt at not giving us a royally depressing story we’ve seen about 200 times before. See you in at the end when we once again have the (FREAKING! FREAKING! FREAKING!) only match in 9-10 that matters a damn. In the meantime let’s see who’s going to be hot and who’s going to be cold in the middle group. Chase Hughes has dyed hair and what I’m dubbing an Acceptiblish Story. See, he has a hole in his heart, which required an operation to correct. And…and…and…he’s fine now. :dubious: Yeesh. I guess I should be grateful that his hair will make him easy to recognize on the course.

= Exhibition 3: Anna McArthur vs. Chase Hughes =
McArthur is noticably bigger, and it soon becomes clear that she’s the superior athlete. It’s an easy win for her so long as she doesn’t make any brain-dead blunders, and literally right as I think this she goes for a 3rd dismount on the ladder, takes a little water with her right foot, and proceeds to meekly backpedal all the way in. :smack: Did you know that WNBA players have to make on-the-spot decisions and have excellent body control for a full 48-minute game?

Blah blah overcome blah blah fight next match waiweewuwwawei sure why not. :mad:

= Exhibition 4: Emerson Smith vs. Jonah Maningo (3WA) =
Both contestants were fulleeeyyying until Smith heeeyiddeoouslee skaroooooeedd the pooooooooch on the bullloooockkzzzz. Smith, it should be pointed out, is a girl, making this much easier to understand. :smack:

I’m super-tempted to just zap past the reals, but we’ve had upsets in 11-12, so maybe, just maybe, something will happen to make today not completely drearily sausagefactorious. Emerson Smith is a budding architect. Marketable skill, future career, not useless, you know the drill. The best part is that she has no interest in designing obstacles, so we don’t ever have to worry about her becoming completely insufferable! :smiley:

= Real 3: Emerson Smith vs. Chase Hughes =
Trouble right off the bat for Smith as she falls to her knees coming out of the steps. I don’t recall there being anywhere near this many balance issues in the first season; are these kids simply trying too hard? She manages to close the gap going to the dipper and is off first… :eek: WHHOOWHWOOAOAAA!!..left foot goes astray on the dismount and comes super close to losing it, but hangs on and stays alive! :slight_smile: She has better upper-body muscle and catches up again on the ladders. Goes for a 3rd dismount, makes it…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

And there it is. Hughes goes for a 3rd dismount as well but gets a very bad release and lands in the water flat on his back.

Anna McArthur lives and works in an RV park! But has never met Trinity Rocho. I feel cheated.

= Real 4: Anna McArthur vs. Jonah Maningo =
Maningo with a slight lead after two. McArthur catches up on the first ladder, but, remembering her previous mistake, really builds up a head of steam before dismounting from the 3rd. I think she would’ve been better served just going a bit farther. Maningo wastes no time with his 3rd and is ahead going to the blocks. McArthur charges hard to catch up but stumbles coming out. She’s going to have to hustle hard to have a chance…and she does, and Maningo is struggling on the second nut! But McArthur struggles as well, and Maningo finally gets going again and is up the wall first. Not a huge win, but a win, and a win is a win.

Now we see what the fuss is about with Grace Moon. She’s a budding singer hailing from Jamaica, and…she’s really positive. Plus she’s a gymnast. She seems really…enamored with her father for some reason.

= Exhibition 5: Grace Moon vs. Katie Bone =
Moon starts off very negatively when she makes a bad dismount on Floating Steps and nearly falls in. Bone pulls ahead on the dipper, and despite multiple pauses for absolutely no goddam reason on the hang bars, she maintains the lead. Still in the lead on the steps, whereupon she…wait for it…wait for it. (That’s what SHE did!) (Literally, at the start of Sky Hooks, for several seconds! :smack::mad:) Y’know what, the producers should do a tour of the entire course for the contestants so they can get all the obstacle-staring out of their system then and there, and if it turns out that’s all they want to do, the producers can find contestants that actually try to freaking win their matches! :mad: Both of them valiantly attack Sky Hooks, which resembles nothing so much as a couple of highly indecisive trapeze artists. They dismount at nearly the same time, and I guess it’s fitting that this (extremely) slow-motion car crash would end in a flippin’ Heaven and Hell, Bone failing to find the top of the wall.

And we come to the “oh crap” moment of the show. Guess who stepped up to the line. Kai Beckstrand, last year’s 11-12 champion. Of course, there’s always the chance that he’ll be like Sean Arms and find himself in over his head in the stronger group, but I definitely wouldn’t bet on it. Profile on his opponent, Zach Hammer a rock climber from a family of rock climbers. One of the things he likes to do is “freewater soloing”, where he climbs to a height of 50 feet and drops straight down into the water. Uh huh. (Is that his sister? She looks pretty.)

= Exhibition 6: Kai Beckstrand vs. Zach Hammer =
Oh dear. That freewater soloing clip takes a level of cruel irony as the right side of Hammer’s bar goes astray just a few feet down the dipper, and down he goes. Dammit, I was hoping we could go one day without someone looking like an imbecile here. :frowning:

= Real 5: Zach Hammer vs. Grace Moon (3WA) =
Hammer took care of business when it mattered, while Moon jettisoned the last tiny shreds of her dignity by egging on the crowd at the runup to the wall :smack::rolleyes::mad:. You do realize that times MATTER now, right?? :smack:

Hmm…should I insult your intelligence by pretending that there’s even a one in a quintillion chance that Beckstrand isn’t going to tear Bone approximately 500,000 new ones? Mmmmmm…nah, I’ve taken enough heat from the Subnautica thread. :wink: Let’s just wrap things up.

= 9-10 final: Kaden Forsha vs. Jeff Baumgarten =
Both boys seem to have a better feel for the course, so this should be a…decent one. Forsha takes the early lead, but Baumgarten powers ahead on the wall. Still with a slight lead after the blocks. On to the free bars…and again Baumgarten can’t find his rhythm, allowing Forsha to go right past him and dismount first. The final indignity for Baumgarten is when he gets a hand on the top of the wall and then loses everything and slips right back down. I’ve never seen anything like that before…did he just give up?

= 11-12 final: Jonah Maningo vs. Emerson Smith =
Maningo is a shade quicker through two, but Smith again closes the gap on the ladder. Both make 3rd dismounts, Smith first, and she’s ahead. On to the haunted, vaunted blocks…which Smith has absolutely no problem with this time, and she extends her lead! Maningo fights to catch up on the nuts…Smith is a little wild…but she stays dry…transition one, transition two…AND SHE DISMOUNTS FIRST! AND…sheesh, they both take a freaking long time to get up the wall, but they all count the same. We have a girl winner today. Somehow. I’m more confused than anything.

= 13-14 final: Kai Beckstrand vs. Zach Hammer =
Both clean through the dipper this time, Beckstrand with a slight lead. They surge through the hang bars and the blocks. Man, THIS is the match we should’ve had the FIRST time! :smiley: Hammer makes a huge leap and they’re on the first ring at the same time, but Beckstrand makes the first jump immediately…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Hammer’s leap was just a bit too impressive, as it pulled the ring off the peg and sent him straight to the drink. That gives him one finish in three matches, meaning that he’ll have to sweat it out for two more days along with Chase Hughes. Worse, the best case scenario is looking like sneaking into the playoffs and losing to Beckstrand a third time. Cruelty. :frowning:

D1 qualifiers: Kaden Forsha, Emerson Smith, Kai Beckstrand

Four more episodes to go! I think I can make it!

Just watched the series premiere of Ultimate Tag. The question on my mind going in, of course, was whether this was the answer to ANW. I know it’s early, but I’m already getting a sinking feeling the answer is going to be a hard “no”. I’ll eventually start a thread for that, of course, but for now the bottom line is that I want ANW to work for me. So here’s super-duper hoping that the conclusion of ANWJ2 can at least somewhat deliver.

All right, intro, intro…well, whaddya know, Eyes has finally acknowledged the importance of the mind game! Go figure, it doesn’t matter if you can bench press a tractor or run circles around a leopard if you’re constantly mistiming jumps, stepping ion the wrong parts of the blocks, or putting one freaking end of the bar on the track and just assuming that’s good enough! Now what they have to do is showcase some really egregious mental errors, particularly on…

…and Eyes tosses out a bunch of pseudo-analytical crap, and we find out this is just some goofball thing a la “superheroes” or “recipes for success”. So close to a moment of goodness here. :frowning:

AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR JUNIOR 2 - BLOCK D PRELIMS, DAY 2

John David Spatola is the grandson of Mike Kyrzezewski (You are not a college basketball fan unless you can spell that correctly! :D), which means nothing, and spends a lot of time making lots of trick shots which…should be good for a few YouTube videos. He does seem way too excited about them, though. You are aware that actually winning a million dollars from one of these things is a highly rare occurrence, right?

= Exhibition 1: John David Spatola vs. Ryan Cooper =
Spatola does some weird gyration at the start of the dipper but thankfully doesn’t find the water, and it’s even after two. He hesitates again at the start of the walls, giving Cooper the lead. No change on the blocks. Spatola takes a bit too long to get going on the swing bars; Cooper methodically works his way through and dismounts first. Spatola tries to make up ground with a one-timer dismount but comes up short and finds the water, and Cooper closes it out. Wow, a conventional, unsurprising opener really is a rare treat, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, heaping praise on the competitor who screwed up and put up a time that has zero chance of making the wildcard, that makes a ton of sense, Bodge. :rolleyes:

Shot of Bars, Grant McCartney, and Meagan Martin

Maddie Evers is really organized and spends a lot of time cleaning up! Ummm… :dubious: Guys, how do I put this…“positive quality” does not automatically translate to “appropriate subject for profile”. Pounding red-hot steel and drawing showers of sparks is cool. This just comes across as preachy. And no, it’s not going to inspire me to get off my butt and finish cleaning my room, and that’s something I freaking WANT to do, dammit! Oh, and she exercises and builds up her strength, which is apparently extremely unusual for a girl who takes part in athletic competitions. :smack: This freaking country, I tell you…

(Ugh. I was critical about the leotard-and-shorts look last season, and the leotard-tights-and-shorts Daisy O’Brien is sporting here is even worse. Girls, just put on a pair of sweatpants and be done with it, sheesh.)

= Exhibition 2: Maddie Evers vs. Daisy O’Brien =
O’Brien scoots to an early lead but takes a really long time to get going on the dipper, but it doesn’t matter when Evers airballs the dismount, comes up short of the net, and gets wet. I have a pretty good idea of who won’t be turning in a killer wildcard time today, if you catch my drift.

= Real 1: Maddie Evers vs. Ryan Cooper (3WA) =
Cooper fell on the runup to the wall, turning a total top-down pulverizing into just a nearly total top-down pulverizing! That’s about as good as it’s been for 9-10 reals this season! :frowning:

Here’s what I had for Daisy O’Brien last season: “A singer. And a subpar dancer. And an actress. Yeah, I was forced to do a lot of stupid crap as a kid too.” Let’s see what’s on her plate now…singing the national anthem. :eek: Oh dear goddess. :smack: Apparently she missed the memo about this gig being the biggest freaking joke in singing, and if you ever voluntarily accept it, it’s a pretty sure sign that either nobody respects you at all or your career is in the toilet. Hahh…and I has such reasonably high hopes for her…

= Real 2: John David Spatola vs. Daisy O’Brien =
Spatola is a bit clumsy on the dipper but stays in control and is ahead after two. Not the best form from either through the walls or blocks, and Spatola is still slightly ahead. He dismounts first…whoa, a little awkward up the wall!..but it’s not a problem; still up and over first. From a conventional opener to what’s looking like yet another way too predictable final. It’s so hard to nail the perfect formula, isn’t it?

Nacssa Garemore made it to the round of 8 last year and wants to go further. The most important lesson he learned is to not hesitate. He has what it takes to win it all. :dubious: Geez…there’s robotic, and there’s Tank Abbott. And trust me, you never want to draw comparisons to Tank Abbott.

= Exhibition 3: Luke Milman vs. Nacssa Garemore =
Milman stumbles a bit coming out of the steps but makes a BIG dismount on the dipper and pulls ahead. He gets to the second ladder first and is angling for a 3rd dismount; so is Garemore, and he pulls the trigger first and retakes the lead! Strictly textbook though the blocks. It’s a contrast of styles on the nuts; Garemore has more fluid form but Milman has greater energy. It’s a tight one! And they dismount at the same…uh, no. Milman skews badly to the right, barely finds the edge of the platform, and meekly falls backwards and in.

What’s this? We don’t have to hear it when someone screams on top of the wall anymore? That’s the first unequivocally good thing this show has had in forever! :smiley:

Serena LoScalzo loves nature because…oh, who the hell cares.

= Exhibition 4: Serena LoScalzo vs. Lindsey Ferrara =
Slow…boring…slow…boring…slow…boring…oh, hey, Ferrara made a huge splash with her left foot dismounting the ladders but stays alive. Okay, I’ll pick it up from here. Brief pause, through the blocks despite her wet foot, and she’s on the nuts before LoScalzo has started the blocks. Ferrara seems to take an incredibly long time to make the first transition, but she gets the hang of it and gets up…whu-oh, slips back down!..but remembers to put a foot in the notch on the second attempt and hits the buzzer. Liking all these second efforts today! :slight_smile:

Puff piece time! The team wired up Gabby Romano, Nate Pardo, and Meagan Martin…oh, it’s more analytics. :rolleyes: Look, I understand how technology has more or less completely taken over every facet of professional sports. But there’s an important distinction…pros are REALLY GOOD. The reason MLB teams take things like launch angles and exit velocities seriously is that at the pinnacle of the game, every little edge can make a big difference. When your league is full of plodders like Zoe Zogleman and chokers like Bella Palmer, I really don’t see how 2.25 Gs enters the picture.

= Real 3: Luke Milman vs. Lindsey Ferrara =
Milman makes another soaring dipper dismount and takes the lead, then follows with a pretty 3rd dismount. Still in the lead after the blocks and makes a very quick and clean first transition. Ferrara does her best but just can’t keep up with the big boys, succumbing to defeat on the second transition.

Bodge: “Hey Luke, you were so close in that last race. I know you wanted to get that buzzer this time around, didn’t you? Y’know, because it’d be incredibly embarrassing if you lost to a girl, especially given how the girls have so royally screwed the pooch again and again this season. I bet you’d never be able to show your face again if one of these cement-footed limp-armed crap-brained chokers beat you, huh?”

= Real 4: Serena LoScalzo vs. Nacssa Garemore (3WA) =
Direct quote from Eyes: “But when Serena came up short on the Little Dipper, Nacssa got the win.” No way, you mean a boy who made it to quarters last year didn’t faceplant on the 2nd obstacle? Perish the thought! :rolleyes:

Cairo Rosa is a bigtime surfer, with some time for the skate park. And he can do tricks. Let’s just hope he doesn’t try to “hang ten” on Block Run. Yeeaaaah…I got nuthin’.

= Exhibition 5: Cairo Rosa vs. Anika Pivetta =
Pivetta takes the early lead. On the dipper, Rosa goes completely crazy-legs on the dismount…stays alive but loses more time. On to the hang bars, where Pivetta demonstrates her upper-body superiority. (Those are some beefy arms! Here’s hoping the real profile explains them! :)) On to the blocks where she…whoa, whoa, whoa, whoooa, YIIIIKESSS!! :eek:…makes it a real adventure and falls at the end but stays dry. She has a big lead now and has this in the bag so long as she executes on the rings. She’s on the first ring. She’s still on the first ring. Rosa sprints through the blocks. Pivetta. Still. Has. Not. Made. The. First. Transition. What is she waiting for, a text from her mother?? Luckily (?), Rosa settles the issue by failing to get a grip on the first ring and splashing. I think we can consider it a minor miracle if both reals do not end up sucking an entire carton of eggs.

No profile for the next match, but I do want to point out that one of the few contestants I actively hoped would return did: Sophia Lavallee, who capped off an incredibly clutch comeback win over Daniel Jones in the prelim (and this was before wildcards, remember) by knocking out the tallest competitor in the entire contest. In an event where the girls have served roughly the same function as the plain trunks-wearing nobodies on WWF Superstars of Wrestling, she is a massive breath of fresh air. Kick some butt, champ!

= Exhibition 6: Zachary Osborn vs. Sophia Lavallee =
Tight one through two. Osborn has a better rhythm on the hang bars and dismounts first. Lavallee is having trouble! Osborn dashes across the blocks and…no. NO! He backs away from the trampoline and waits!! :smack::mad: WHY CHARGE ACROSS THE BLOCKS IF YOU’RE ONLY GOING TO PULL TO A DEAD STOP??? WHAT IS IT WITH THIS “HURRY UP AND WAIT” GARBAGE??? Well, this of course permits Lavallee to catch up…you know, at this point I think I’d welcome a conspiracy theory; it’d be FUNNY, at least. It’s close up to the 3rd action, but Lavallee finally decides that she’s had enough, does the ring to ring first, one-times the dismount, and runs away to the buzzer. Gotta take ‘em however you can!

= Real 5: Zachary Osborn vs. Anika Pivetta (3WA) =
Ooh. Sometimes the most dangerous time to face a boy is right after he makes a big blunder in the exhibition, because that’s when he makes the adjustment and really pushes hard. Which is exactly what happened here as Osborn kept his cool and executed properly at Sky Hooks this time. Pivetta couldn’t keep up and met her end on the third ring.

Sophia Lavallee does acro-yoga with her brother Evan. We saw a few clips of this earlier, and…it’s okay. Mostly I’m happy to see two siblings who can do intimate physical activity without it degenerating into fighting. I only wish I ever had as good a rapport with my own sister.

= Real 6: Cairo Rosa vs. Sophia Lavallee =
Lavallee surges to the lead after two. She’s manhandling the hang bars…Rosa starts to catch up!..and Lavallee does a big dismount from the third bar and makes it! Those are the kind of moves that win matches in 13-14! Lavallee still has a hefty lead after the blocks. Rosa pushes hard…and…backs off from the trampoline. :smack: Son of a… :mad: It’s bad enough when the girls do this crap, dammit! Well, it should come as no surprise that Rosa again fails to gain purchase on the first ring, failing in the exact same spot as his exhibition. Dammit.

Hey, when I do get around to making that constantly-misused words list, I’d better add “pressure”! Eyes, Rosa was toast! The only goddam “pressure” he felt was water!

And with that we get our fourth all-revenge finals of this event. Gorgeous. :frowning: Given that the winner of the first match is 12-3 in these so far, I’m not holding out much hope for a thrilling upset.

= 9-10 final: John David Spatola vs. Ryan Cooper =
Nope. Spatola still can’t figure out Flying Squirrel.

= 11-12 final: Nacssa Garemore vs. Luke Milman =
Nope. Milman leads most of the way, but Garemore is simply too powerful on Wing Nuts.

= 13-14 final: Sophia Lavallee vs. Zachary Osborn =
And of course, one of the best girls this event has ever seen is the one who fails to maintain the status quo. :frowning: Osborn pulls ahead on Crazy Cliffhanger and blazes to a huge lead on Block Run, and despite a nasty-looking fall is able to get through Sky Hooks faster and beat his tenacious foe to the buzzer.

D2 qualifiers: Ryan Cooper, Nacssa Garemore, Zachary Osborn

(Don’t want to talk about wildcard standings. Next time.)

Well, this was a pretty…sad episode. Seriously, anyone else notice that the girl power is seriously lacking this time? We may need a kunoichified version of this sooner rather than later.

Okay, I know some of you are breathlessly awaiting my big recap of the season 2 premiere of The Titan Games (for some strange reason), and I was about to get going after an emotional week at work (don’t ask). But dangit, I just can’t put off American Ninja Warrior Junior (for some strange reason), so…game on!

Okay, intro. “Falling can be fun. Splashing down doesn’t mean you failed.” :rolleyes: They’re LYING now, folks. I’m so glad there are just three episodes to go.

AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR JUNIOR 2 - BLOCK D PRELIMS, DAY 3

Bodge says “save the best for last”, an ominous omen if ever there was one.

Sargent Chizmadia likes being called “Sarge”, has been on a flag football team which has never lost, takes his football everywhere, and holy crap, this boy has more red flags than Tiannamen Square.

= Exhibition 1: Sargent Chizmadia vs. Reeder Smith =
A brisk pace with Smith maintaining the edge through three. Bit of hesitation from Smith at the start of the blocks but he still gets through faster. Then it goes to the free bars, and Smith nails this shut, getting though faster and slamming the button with more urgency than he probably needed.

As a potentially foreboding footnote, Chizmadia, who found water on the dismount, completely failed to get up the wall. Albatross immediately goes over to hold him, but it’s little comfort as the real all of a sudden has become make or break for him. Shots of the other mentors Jessie Graff and Drew Dreschel.

And just as I’ve expressed concern for Chizmadia, here come two skinny girls and he just had his finals pass handed to him on a silk pillow. :mad: Okay, what do we have here…Amanda Mattei’s mother is from Brazil and her father is from Italy, which means that she has to know three languages. Uggghhh…all right, cards on the table. Girl (and I’ve noticed that the vast majority of the time it’s the daughter) learning a multitude of languages to get a prestigious, well-paying job, good. Girl forced to learn three languages because the parents want hot dogs and IPads and Nissan Leafs and bikini babes on the beach and porn that’s actually good and the NFL and cops putting all those uppity blacks in their place and year-round mediocre reality TV but refuse to adapt in any way to their new culture (something I see all the time in public housing), bad. YOU want horrible traffic and fourth-rate health care and Presidents who couldn’t lead a horse to water, YOU learn the freaking language. :mad:

= Exhibition 2: Kayla Dodge vs. Ananda Mattei =
So slow…so, so slow…so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so slow…

Goddammit, thank Yukari that today is the last day of this. In a brief quirk, Chizmadia could have obliterated Dodge running away (he had a big lead after the steps), but…you guessed it, You’re Supposed To Put Both Ends On The Track, Stupid! Club time! Just completely screwed it up. Regardless, Smith beat Mattei effortlessly, and there’s no reason to believe that he isn’t going to completely wipe the floor with Dodge in the final…and…yep. Man, the only thing better when only two kids of the foursome have a prayer is when only one kid of the foursome has a prayer! :rolleyes: Jeff Baumgarten and John David Spatola take the wildcard spots, and that concludes today’s coverage of Group Predictable-Hopeless. Moving on…Shenel Arenas is super-competitive with her mother, and it helps them to bond, two things I’m not sure belong in the same sentence. I think what’s happening is that she’s learning valuable skills from her mother, and the better she does, the more mom appreciates it. That makes sense. Oh yeah, Philippines, which from what I’ve heard a pretty tough place for a girl to grow up.

= Exhibition 3: Shenel Arenas vs. Freyja Flink =
Flink with the lead after two. Arenas nearly catches up on the ladders, but Flink makes the transition first. She’s angling for a 3rd dismount, she’s swinging…she’s still swinging…now it looks like a 4th dismount, still swinging…and Arenas catches up but also takes way too many swings. Weird. They pull the trigger at exactly the same time…and that would be as close as Arenas would get as she almost meekly sinks to defeat on the blocks. It looked like she was just too slow.

= Exhibition 4: Paul Woods vs. Michael Sherman (3WA) =
Woods was clearly the superior athlete and left no doubt. Sherman, playing catch-up all the way, found the water on the second nut.

Michael Sherman is a budding scientist who someday wants to solve the mysteries of the universe…and…nothing I can really add to that. That’s awesome. :slight_smile:

= Real 3: Michael Sherman vs. Freyja Flink =
Flink has a slight lead after two, but unless she can figure out the ladders…aaaaand, she can’t, still a dead weight on the second. To her credit, she does makes a fight of it on the nuts, actually making the first transition first, but Sherman does the second and the dismount faster. WAY too casual getting up the wall, but it’s still a win.

Paul Woods “shares ninja”. What does that mean? He runs a concession stand to finance…trips…to a ninja gym. Uhhhh…all kinds of issues, obviously, but he’s still young; there’s time to channel his kind spirit in a positive direction. Let’s just hope he has good parents. That’s where it all begins.

What? Oh of all the…Bodge, if it’s Arenas’ exhibition you’re talking about, the only thing that comes after the word “barely” is “making it past the third obstacle”. Got it? :mad: These lies are getting out of hand…

= Real 4: Shenel Arenas vs. Paul Woods =
Woods takes the lead, and it just keeps on growing right to the point where he skips the flippin’ notch.

If you were expecting 11-12 to be more competitive, or for that matter one molecule different than what transpired in 9-10, sorry to disappoint you. :frowning: Yep, you guessed it, Woods re-destroyed Sherman to the degree that a more famous Woods once repeatedly destroyed The Masters. Now let’s look at the wildcard…oh. That is some fine sugar. Luke Milman locked up the #1 spot, as expected, but #2 came down to Michael Sherman and Jonah Maningo…with Sherman taking it by less than a tenth of a second (49.70 to 49.79)! He’s absolutely elated when he hears the news, as is his family. Probably doesn’t mean a whole lot in the grand scheme, especially with Nacssa Garemore looming large, but it’s always great to see the smart kid have his moment. Could be the most positive moment of the day.

Joaquin Rayford…trains hard under a coach. Plus absentee father. No, really, that’s it. Hey, this is the 12th prelim, they’re digging a bit deep, all right?

= Exhibition 5: Alex Boyd vs. Joaquin Rayford =
Rayford takes an early lead…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

…and promptly takes the plunge on the dipper. On the descent. :smack: There’s Sport Goofy, and there’s Strong Bad. I mean, you don’t want either, but at least Goofy produces funny moments. And just to twist the knife a little further, Boyd loses his grip on the third ring of Sky Hooks and finds the water as well. Honestly, if neither of them ever gets the opportunity to get approximately thirty mudholes stomped into him by Vance Walker, it’s probably just as well.

Avery Glantz is a good friend of Cal Plohoros! Refer to previous profile!

= Exhibition 6: Avery Glantz vs. Ava Mendler =
Steady pace through two. Glantz has better form on the hang bars and pulls ahead. She has a sizable lead on Sky Hooks…but seems to have run into trouble. She just can’t make the second ring transfer. Now they’re both struggling badly, hardly doing anything at all. Mendler puts this to bed by going for the ring-to-ring and missing by half a mile. Glantz looks lost at this point, and even some desperate advice by Dreschel can’t prevent the inevitable; she also whiffs on the third ring and splashes.

Four contestants have taken the course in 13-14 and thus far there have been a grand total of zero finishes. How’s saving the best for last working out SO far, Bodge? :smack::mad:

Arr interviews Mendler for whatever reason. She seems a tad disoriented, and I can’t really blame her.

= Real 5: Joaquin Rayford vs. Avery Glantz (3WA) =
Glantz went straight up on the dipper dismount followed by straight down, and chalk up yet another girl who will not be in any inspirational vignettes next season. :rolleyes:

Ava Mendler is a stage performer (we see her doing a “women in power” routine). And often gets mistaken for a boy due to her short hair and lack of a…y’know…figure. In fact, she always ways boys’ clothes, because it’s important to, cough, hack, ahem, be yourself. Ugggghh. Guys, I’m sure you can all read between the lines and figure out just what exactly she is, as it’s about as subtle as Blake Shelton, and I just hope that someday youth-oriented TV stations will grow a spine and realize that the kids of today can, in fact, deal with reality. Thank you.

= Real 6: Ava Mendler vs. Alex Boyd =
Not much to say about this one. Boyd takes the early lead and never looks back; once it got to Sky Hooks, it was over, Mendler going out at the exact same spot. Geez, was that “failing isn’t really failing” thing at the beginning meant to cover for this?

Huh…is it really going to be a rematch between two thoroughly unimpressive boys to decide 13-14? This is the last match of prelims this season? Huh. All right…

= 13-14 final: Joaquin Rayford vs. Alex Boyd =
Rayford gets through the dipper a little faster and takes the early lead. Which gets a lot bigger as he powers through the hang bars faster and skedaddles past the blocks. If he nails the ring-to-ring, he’s got it…and he does, and he one-times the dismount for good measure. Good night, game over, like and subscribe. Naturally, Bodge immediately demands a celebratory dance, and…huh. Not bad, not bad at all. Wonder how Bodge knew. Whatever it is, he should do it more often.

No one ever mounted a serious challenge to Zach Hammer or Sophia Lavallee, who ice the #1 and #2 wildcard spots.

D3 qualifiers: Reeder Smith, Paul Woods, Joaquin Rayford

It’s over. Whew. I dunno about you, but I’m simply done with prelims. Playoff predictions? Nacssa Garemore is going to kick butt. Kai Beckstrand is going to kick butt. 9-10, I don’t know and neither do you.

Oh, look, having a massive mental breakdown which causes you to avoid starting the obstacle is “playing it safe”. Took him long enough to come up with a euphemism.

AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR JUNIOR 2 - BLOCK D PLAYOFFS

Then he helpfully reminds us that this is the “last time” for competitors…no, Eyes, it’s the last chance for us to watch a playoff, because this crop never had any previous…gah, it’s Friday and I’m tired, I can’t do this right now…

= Wild card match 1: John David Spatola vs. Jeff Baumgarten =
Baumgarten is smooth and fast through the dipper, while Spatola’s eyes wander at the start, then he takes a hard bump to his shin on the landing and struggles to dismount. Baumgarten is first to the free bars by a wide margin; he’s got this so long as he simply executes. Or if Spatola lands in the water, which he does after he comes up way short of end bar. That was an impressive splash!

Shots of mentors Bars, Grant McCartney, and Meagan Martin.

Kaden Forsha is ultra super duper pumped. And apparently “have fun” means “win” now. Too bad it didn’t help…that girl…ahhhh, I don’t care enough to go back and check. :stuck_out_tongue: Then some props given to Ryan Cooper, who hasn’t lost yet, thereby implying that beating Spatola was worth a damn, which I didn’t believe two weeks ago and sure as hell don’t now. (Holy cow, trading cards?)

= First round match 1: Ryan Cooper vs. Kaden Forsha =
Even after two. Still even after three; these boys are in fine form! Cooper has slightly faster feet and pulls ahead on the blocks. On to the free bars; in a contest this tight, it could come down to number of sw…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

Ohhhhhhhh… :frowning: Man. :frowning: Cooper went for the first transition, his hands were on…and then they were off. Just like that. If you can explain why, you’re a lot smarter than me. Eyes helpfully informs us that Forsha Needs To Complete This Obstacle and This Is Not Over, whereupon he completes the obstacle effortlessly, because what the hell did you expect.

Reeder Smith is really good at this! Jeff Baumgarten is not unlike a car! Oh yeah! :rolleyes:

= First round match 2: Reeder Smith vs. Jeff Baumgarten =
Oh, geez…Smith falls at the start of the dipper, giving up the lead. This is at least the third time I’ve seen this. He has faster hands and feet on the walls, though, and it’s even. Smith takes the lead on the blocks; looked a bit dicey but both boys are fine. Now the free bars…which is where Smith slams the door shut, taking fewer swings and one-timing the dismount bar. But just because someone is a fan of bizarre twists, Bars exhorts Baumgarten…who already lost, and at a stage of this contest where times don’t matter at all, just thought I’d remind you of that…up the wall. “You can do it!” It won’t change jack squat, but you can do it! :rolleyes: I just don’t know, dammit.

= Wild card match 2: Luke Milman vs. Michael Sherman =
Milman takes a nasty spill coming out of the steps, and man, is it just me or have there been a ton of inexplicable falls lately? Milman, undaunted, takes the lead on the dipper, does a pretty 3rd dismount, and…he’s not going to lose this one. Stays a step ahead every step of the way, has no more mishaps, and hits the buzzer in plenty of time.

As a consolation prize, Grant McCartney goes up the wall to give Sherman his glasses, if by “consolation” you mean “freaking bizarre” and by “prize” you mean “bizarrely bizaarre bizarreness”. :confused:

Brief clips of Emerson Smith and Nacssa Garemore’s days. Garemore says “This year I hope I don’t get wet,” which is a bit ominous for at least a couple of reasons I can think of.

= First round match 3: Nacssa Garemore vs. Emerson Smith =
Garemore does a quick double-check on the dipper before going…he’s serious about not getting wet! :D…and it’s even after two. On to the ladders where…Garemore whiffs on a transition and Smith pulls ahead! But she has to go to the middle of the second ladder, while Garemore…ooh, impressive 1st dismount!..and he takes the lead. No change on the blocks. Garemore has better form on the nuts, dismounts…and Smith is right there! Ootdia! And…no giant upset; it’s a little close, but Garemore first up, first over, and first to the buzzer. Plenty of credit to Smith for making it a great contest, though; I honestly thought this was going to be a rout!

Going to have to skip past the Woods clips because I’m getting tired of all the misused words. Swear to Reimu, you can replace Eyes and Bodge with a computer sometimes. Then I hear the word “hair” regarding Luke Milman and oh for crying out loud no match deserves this warmed-over crap.

= First round match 4: Luke Milman vs. Paul Woods =
Another fall out of the steps, this one by Milman. Woods pulls ahead on the dipper, but Milman has the better upper body and catches up on the first ladder. They dismount at the same spot, and it’s knotted up.

And that’s all the excitement there’d be as Woods bungles an obstacle he…goddesses, this is getting painful to write… had no trouble with in three previous runs. Replay shows where he went wrong; he skipped the second block and landed in the front edge of the third, it spun, he completely lost his balance and fell onto the fifth chest-first, it spun, and boom goes the dynamite. Too bad. :frowning: I actually thought he had the best chance to beat Garemore, but to beat the best, you have to get to the best.

13-14 wildcard time. Bodge ominously states that while Zach Hammer has only one win under his belt, his time is seven seconds faster than anything Sophia Lavallee has been able to put up. And this is exactly why I stopped giving a crap about win-loss records. It’s WHO they beat that matters…100% absolute zero full stop. Another thing that means jack squat is number of buzzers, and it’s always two steps forward and three steps back for you, isn’t it, Bodge? :rolleyes:

= Wild card match 3: Zach Hammer vs. Sophia Lavallee =
Even after two…oh geez, Hammer flat out atomized her on the hang bars. And, zip, right across the blocks. So long as he takes his time on the rings, he’s winning this running away. Lavallee, to her credit, is going to fight to the bitter end, but we all know it’s only a matter of time. All right, count with me! 1-0. 2-1. 3-1. 3-2. Hammer getting tentative? 3-3. 4…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

:eek: WHAT? :eek: WHO? WHEN? WHERE? HOW? WHY? :eek::eek: Hammer had the third ring by his left hand, and then…he didn’t have the third ring with his left hand. Replay showed that he went sideways after the second ring transfer, and rather than correcting it before the ring-to-ring, he went for it right away, with predictably dire results. Eyes whimpers that Lavallee Must Complete This Obstacle To Win, which she does one second after the last syllable is out of his mouth. :smack: What is even the point of your existence, man…

Arr grills Lavallee on her incredible win that, let’s face it, should never have happened. The usual mush, but we do get to see a nice replay of her on the third ring; she looked stunned that Hammer went out where he did. And was able to recover enough to complete the obstacle. What a champ. :smiley:

Meagan Martin gives the most rushed tippa-tricka I’ve ever seen (Crazy Cliffhanger). I think she’s become as sick of these as I am.

Clips of Joaquin Rayford. Kai Beckstrand is into mountain biking. Nice backlot.

= First round match 5: Kai Beckstrand vs. Joaquin Rayford =
Beckstrand takes the early lead and never surrenders it. The only tiny mishap is when he skews right on the Sky Hooks dismount. Easy recovery, right up the wall.

Our final competitor of playoffs is Zachary Osborn, who’s taking on surprise winner Sophia Lavallee. Eyes says that it’s the third time they’re facing…hold the phone [checks notes]…YES! IT’S A RUBBER MATCH! WE’RE GOING TO HAVE OUR ONLY RUBBER MATCH OF ANWJ2!! :D:D:D Man, given how dismal this block has been, I completely overlooked that possibility! All right, we officially have a match were Anything Can Happen…make it a good one, tykes! :slight_smile:

= First round match 6: Sophia Lavallee vs. Zachary Osborn =
Even after…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

:smack: You cannot be serious. Osborn fails to keep the dipper bar even, the right side gets ahead of the left, and there’s nothing at the bottom but water. Seems like everything this season that’s supposed to have been good has been a crushing disappointment. :frowning:

= Quarterfinal match 1: Reeder Smith vs. Kaden Forsha =
Smith has a slight lead after two, but a little slip on the walls evens it up. Ahead again after the blocks, and at the swinging bars…no contest, Smith has both better form and power. He one-times the dismount bar, forcing Forsha to rush his dismount, and he’s in the water. Huh. Guess Smith really is that good. I mean, you’d never be able to figure that out from his prelim competition, but…

= Quarterfinal match 2: Luke Milman vs. Nacssa Garemore =
Milman has already been bested by Garemore twice; unless he can find some way to beat him, all those other wins will have been for naught. It’s super tight at the start. Both make 1st dismounts from the second ladder, and it’s still locked up. Still even after the blocks! STILL dead even after the first transition on the nuts! Garemore dismounts first, but Milman is faster on the runup! DEAD EVEN AT THE NOTCH! IT’S…

…and Milman’s feet slip on the wall pulling himself up, and that ends his chances. Garemore takes another pretty-close one. Man, nothing fazes this kid! :smiley:

= Quarterfinal match 3: Sophia Lavallee vs. Kai Beckstrand =
Reality slams into Lavallee hard as she gets torched at the hang bars again and is on the outside looking in the rest of the way. Sometimes there’s just no happy ending. :frowning: Thanks for the memories, champ.

Block D semifinallists: Reeder Smith, Nacssa Garemore, Kai Beckstrand

The ones that were supposed to win did. I should be grateful for that, I suppose.

Final day prospects? Eh, more effort than I feel like expending at this point. See you at the finish line.

So it all wraps up tomorrow, and after that, there probably won’t be anything coming up for a long time (I’ve seen no news on americanninjawarriornation.com). May as well draw it out.

Before I get to the competitors for the final day, I’d like to address a recurring gripe…probably my #1 super recurring gripe of the season…about how the foursomes for each individual prelim were set. I bring this up now because you may have noticed a certain…“hypocrisy” may not be the right word, but how about “incompatibility”…with the three specific setups I absolutely loathed. To wit:

#1: No Freaking Battle Whatsoever of the Sexes
Two boys who are capable athletes in one exhibition, usually the first, and two girls who can barely walk straight in the other. This meant that the girls were absolutely going to get stomped in the reals regardless of who faced whom, and the boys were guaranteed to have meet a second time in the final, the result being that everything except the final was completely irrelevant. I’m baffled as to how anyone thought this was a good thing, and the sheer number of times UK pulled this nonsense was mindboggling. (Occasionally there’d be a particularly inept boy in the latter exhibition, but same result.)

#2: Put Through The Ringer
This consists of one boy who’s really good, and three other contestants who…aren’t. Remember how you saw Sean Arms and before he took a step you knew he was going to blow away everyone? That’s this. And the result is that the ENTIRE FREAKING PRELIM IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. Worse, since he’s not tested at all, there’s a chance that he’ll be completely unprepared for playoffs and suffer an embarrassing loss.

#3: Too Much Too Soon
This is what happens when two top favorites are in the same prelim. In the first season, that meant that one of them was royally screwed on day one. Now, with wildcards, one of them is still royally screwed, but he gets to waste more time on the course before it happens. :mad: Look, I’m all for hard-fought big name matchups, but at the right time. You don’t pit Rafael Nadal against Novak Djokovic in the freaking first round!

Now one may look at the preceding and ask…what else is there? After all, there are going to be hopeless girls (and a few hopeless boys), and there are going to be top favorites. Wouldn’t keeping the top favorites apart just lead to more #2-style pointless squashes? Won’t keeping the girls away from capable boys just lead to more powerful boys going home early, a la #3? Wouldn’t outright sex segregation just cause way too predictable playoffs?

I understand that, and I also understand that no setup is going to be perfect. But it’s important that the organizers have a sensible plan of action, so that there’s the least chance for grave injustices, and they can justify their actions should anyone raise a stink.

And that’s why we need seeding. Look, it’s very simple: The better you are, the easier it initially is for you, and that gives you incentive to be better. It’s worked for tennis, which has incredibly diverse nationalities, styles, and body types, for over a century; I don’t see why it wouldn’t work here.

It’s quite simple. Give these kids various tests…sprints, weightlifting, jumping, laches, what have you…get the hard numbers, and use them to rank the entire field from 1-48. 1-4 go into A, B, C, and D, respectively. Then you count backwards from 48 to get the remainder of the foursomes, and backwards from 12 to get the remaining prelims per each block.
Here’s how the exhibition matchups for each day would work out:

Block A: 1/48 47/46-----12/15 14/13-----11/18 17/16
Block B: 2/45 44/43-----10/21 20/19-----9/24 23/22
Block C: 3/42 41/40-----8/27 26/25-----7/30 29/28
Block D: 4/39 38/37-----6/33 32/31-----5/36 35/34

Of course, you wouldn’t want to do, say, 1/48 and 47/46 for every age group on the same day; that’d lead to a pretty dreary day of competition. But you could do one configuration per age group per day, so no one day would ever get too predictable or too unpredictable. As an added bonus, upsets would truly be meaningful; taking out the Blake Feero would all but guarantee a spot in the final day.

No, I don’t think we’ll ever see anything like this. But c’mon, tell me it wouldn’t work.

On to what I’m hoping for/anticipating/fearing on the final day:

9-10
Daniel Woods (4-2) Beat: Barrett Eads, Shae McCarl, Lindsey Zimmerman, Bella Palmer - Lost to: Bella Palmer (2x)
Nathaniel Honvou (5-0) Beat: Noah Daul (2x), Zoe Zogleman, Jake Scionti, Charlie Ball
Owen Pham (5-0) Beat: Kali Pomerenke, Baylee Beckstrand, Vincent Canales, Carter Samuel, Brynli Smith
Reeder Smith (5-0) Beat: Sargent Chizmadia, Amanda Mattei, Kayla Dodge, Jeff Baumgarten, Kaden Forsha

I have an unshakable nagging feeling that it’s going to be Pham. The Acceptable Story, the “inspirational” edits, the shots of the tearful joyous family, they’ve all been pointing to a storybook ending for him. Pretty much the only one here who doesn’t have a prayer is Daniel Woods, but he’s going to be taking home far more cash than he should have no matter what, so it hardly matters.

11-12
Tate Allen (5-0) Beat: Holden McNeil (3x), Iris Flink, Taylor Greene
Sienna Perez (4-1) Beat: Andrew Marr, Rebekah Cornwall, Hunter Rowland, James Scott - Lost to: Rebekah Cornwall
Jack David (5-1) Beat: Benjamin Rutledge, Cassidy Short, Carson Dean, Sean Arms, Jordan Carr - Lost to: Lexi Vasquez
Nacssa Garemore (5-0) Beat: Luke Milman (3x), Serena LoScalzo, Emerson Smith

Sienna Perez is the only girl who made it to the final day and as such can hold her head high even if she gets creamed, which, alas, probably will happen. Neither Allen nor Garemore has been tested, but we’ve seen boys who romped over weak opposition show their true potential in the final. I have to call this a toss-up.

13-14
Devan Alexander (4-1) Beat: Molly Haywood, Nate Pardo, Cal Plohoros, Carson Edwards - Lost to: Nate Pardo
Kaden Lebsack (4-2) Beat: Charlie Ham, Emma Liskey, Addy Herman, Isaiah Thomas - Lost to: Blake Feero (2x)
Vance Walker (5-0) Beat: Caleb Brown (3x), Ceri Evans, Josiah Pippel
Kai Beckstrand (5-0) Beat: Zach Hammer (2x), Katie Bone, Joaquin Rayford, Sophia Lavallee

Okay, here’s what’s going to happen. Lebsack beats Beckstrand. Walker beats Alexander. Walker beats Lebsack. The end. Walker is just so insanely good that this final has all the drama of paint drying. Can we have a “American Ninja Warrior Teens” already? I’d say the time has come.

It’s probably not going to happen, for the same reason that MasterChef Teens isn’t going to happen either; there just isn’t enough of an audience for it. MasterChef Junior works because the kids are young enough that enough adults are interested in their talent.

Also, what’s the target audience? Universal Kids is a fit for ANW Junior because, I am assuming, enough kids of those ages want to see this. I don’t think there’s enough of a teenage audience for it.

Question - if there ever is an ANW Teens, do you use the head-to-head format of ANW Kids, or the “one at a time” format of the main show? I would like to see “everybody runs the same course, and the fastest time wins.” Maybe you can use that as the qualifying/seeding round, but in order to keep sandbagging to a minimum, I would use a system similar to what tennis uses; once you seed everyone, you then divide them into “groups” and place them into the group’s spots in the competition ladder randomly. (For example, in tennis, half of the time, the semi-finals are set up as 1-3 and 2-4.)

I was kidding, dammit. :mad: Sheesh, the last thing I need in my life right now is more pointless arguments.

Okay, where were we…oh, right, final day. Cue intro. Cliche…cliche…cliche…clichefest…cliche-a-rama…clichelapalooza…clichekachidoki…

And Drew Dreschel just said “There are kids running these courses who would beat Stage 2 and Stage 3 in Vegas.” Yeah, make the big grandiose claim that thanks to the age minimum, you don’t ever have to worry about being disproven! That’s a classic…

…hold the phone…did he just admit that the producers for the regular contest overcompensated and made Stage 2 and Stage 3 too easy? And, by extension, he didn’t really deserve to win a million dollars, at least not any more than, say, Joe Moravsky or Brian Arnold? He just went out and bared his soul like that? Oh man… :smiley: I always knew he was a champ at heart…that second chance he gave Jessie Graff at USA vs. The World, just to give an example…but this kind of brutal honesty…wow. :slight_smile: I’m not expecting him to give any of that money back (I sure as hell wouldn’t), but just hearing this on a show so drenched in BS…it’s…it’s just awesome. :smiley:

(Hey! I don’t care! I don’t freaking care! I’ll take whatever I can get! ;))

AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR JUNIOR 2 - FINAL DAY

Thanks for reminding us that the winner of each age group is the “ANW Junior Champion”, Bodge. Wouldn’t want to confuse them with the Dancing With The Stars champion, now, would we? :rolleyes:

All twelve contestants get a quick recap. Nothing special for the first contest, though I would like to point out that “winning when it counts” is getting a little to frequent for comfort. (And that one’s actually used correctly!)

And of course, Eyes has to regale us with the tired BS about the contestants not caring about the money because they want the CHAMPIONSHIP!! Well, of course. It’s after they fail to win the championship, which will be the fate of 75% of today’s field, that they learn to appreciate taking home money unlike those 36 losers.

= Semifinal match 1: Reeder Smith vs. Daniel Woods =
Tight back-and-forth battle through three…and Woods comes out slightly ahead! No change on the blocks. They make the first transition on the swing bars at the same time! And then Smith makes the second transition first, almost casually one-times the dismount bar, and is off to the races. Huh. Gotta say, Woods looked a lot better than some 9-10ers I used to think were superior!

Profile of Owen Pham, and add “solidify” to the list! :smack::mad: STOP ABUSING THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE, EYES! IT WAS BAD ENOUGH WHEN SIMON COWELL DID IT ON AMERICAN IDOL!

= Semifinal match 2: Nathaniel Honvou vs. Owen Pham =
Honvou takes a slight lead after two. On to the…oh, great, now we get a split screen, when the contestants are really close together! :smack::mad: This freaking show…anyway, Honvou pulls further ahead on the blocks, Pham can’t answer on the swing bars, and Honvou handily takes it home. Huh…honestly thought Pham would do better. Never underestimate the power of creative editing, folks.

And…just like that we go to the championship? Huh. Very weird editorial decision, and your guess is as good as mine. You think you can explain this, go right ahead.

Hey, didn’t we already have profiles? Just because you can’t be bothered to have third place matches doesn’t mean you should waste THIS MUCH…haah.

=== 9-10 championship match: Reeder Smith vs. Nathaniel Honvou ===
Smith gets off to a blazing start and takes the early lead. He’s right on to the w…

** SPLOOOOSHH **

:smack: Goddammit. Stop me if you’ve heard this before: Rushes it, doesn’t get his feet set, takes a bath, and Honvou graciously accepts yet another bleeding freebie. :mad: That’s Completely Sucktacular ANW Championship Match number…20? It honestly seems like that many. Honvou looks overwhelmed, as if he has trouble believing that he’s the king of the mountain, and I certainly don’t blame him.

Due congrats to Nathaniel Honvou. Forget this nooteene or newtiene or whatever the freak that is garbage; as far as I’m concerned, there’s just one nickname for him…THE SURVIVOR. From day one he struck me as the “Sure, he’ll win it all…if everyone else doesn’t show up!!” and lo and behold, that’s exactly what they did.

4th place and $2,500 go to Pham, while 3rd and $5,000 go to Woods. Smith takes home $7,500, and Honvou $15,000. In his victory interview, he throws a shout-out to his mom which I sincerely hope is not an effort to prevent her from making all kinds of ridiculous demands on him and his newfound wealth.

Wait…“pool party”? You sure it’s a good idea to have that many bodies in the water before the other two groups have even gone yet? I don’t get this show at all sometimes… :confused:

On to 11-12. Blah blah “early elimination”…wow, Jessie Graff thinks very highly of Sienna Perez! I don’t remember whether that’s a good or bad thing!

= Semifinal match 3: Sienna Perez vs. Jack David =
David in the lead after two. On the ladders, Perez dismounts a rung earlier, but David finds his feet quicker, and they’re even coming out. David has faster feet on the blocks but does a weird stutter-step at the exit, and it’s still even going to the nuts. Both make the first transition at the same time! *And the second! And…*David has finally had enough, one-timing the final nut while Perez gets a bit hung up. David, finally able to breathe easily, takes his time reaching the buzzer.

Nacssa Garemore and Tate Allen are best friends! Lovely! Don’t collude or anything and I’m fine with that!

= Semifinal match 4: Nacssa Garemore vs. Tate Allen =
Allen is a tick ahead after the steps, but Garemore gets a better dismount on the dipper and takes the lead. Allen scrambles across the ladders and makes a great 1st dismount while Garemore is still stuck on the transition, but Allen falls hard, allowing Garemore to take the lead again with a cleaner dismount. Nice contrast of strengths and weaknesses here! :slight_smile: Garemore has quicker feet and is the first to the nuts…but Allen one times the first! :eek: Amazing move! A couple swings later, he one times the dismount bar as well. Garemore’s put up a great fight, but he’s going to come up just short as Allen is the first up the wall…AND GAREMORE GETS TO HIS FEET AND HITS THE BUZZER FIRST! Man oh man oh man, to lose after putting in a run which would have absolutely obliterated about 95% of 11-12, that is just cruelty! I couldn’t even see anything he did wrong, he just got outplayed by a star. I had no inkling Garemore was this good! Maybe next time don’t pit him against two clueless girls and Luke Milman fifteen times! :rolleyes:

=== 11-12 championship match: Nacssa Garemore vs. Jack David ===
And boy, did that ever take the wind out of this championship. Ah well, I made it this far. David…in the lead after two. So far so good. David makes a 2nd dismount on the ladders while Garemore again makes a 1st but needs a bit more time to set it up. David still in the lead after the blocks. And…he makes the first transition on the nuts first! Garemore’s running out of time! They both one-time the last nut! David’s up the wall first, but Garemore…again…

…no! David hits the buzzer first by a split second! I wasn’t sure we’d actually have a sugar finish today! :slight_smile:

I’m…I’m sorry, guys, I’m at a complete loss here. That he made it to the wildcard in the first place was wild enough; there were no fewer than three matches where I thought, “That’s it, he’s done.” Hell, losing to Lexi Vasquez should have been the death knell. And time and time again, his opponent screwed up jeeeuhhhhsssstttt enough to blow the match. Everyone had his number and none of them could close the deal. Man…I never thought I’d be saying this, but he’s the Takumi Fujiwara/Scott Pilgrim of ANWJ. I’m not even sure what to think of him at this point. Honestly, at this point he has about as much of a chance of becoming a ANW star as a basketball star. Anything could happen.

4th and 3rd go to Perez and Allen, as expected. David, who isn’t the teary-eyed thrusting-his-fists-at-the-heavens type of champion at all, quietly thanks his hometown and school, and leaves it at that. Good kid. Eyes and Bodge could learn a few things from him.

And more pool party whatever crap. :rolleyes:

All right, I’m feeling that telltale throbbing behind my temples, so let’s just zip through this last part.

= Semifinal match 5: Kaden Lebsack vs. Kai Beckstrand =
Lebsack takes the early lead and extends it slightly until Beckstrand finds water at the end of Crazy Cliffhanger. Next!

= Semifinal match 6: Vance Walker vs. Devan Alexander =
Alexander is very competitive…right up to the point where Walker engages warp drive and leaves his foe breathing fumes. Next!

=== 13-14 championship match: Vance Walker vs. Kaden Lebsack ===
Walker [stuff, stuff, stuff, stuff] wins. Woo hoo.

THIS GODDAM EXCRUCIATING SEASON IS FINALLY OVER PARTYYYYYY!! :D:mad:

I’m almost certain I’m going to have to step away from this one. Sure I had some pretty nasty beefs about NvN, but there were a lot of high points as well, and in the end I found it an overall positive experience. ANWJ…it’s astonishing how many things I disliked and how few things I liked. And with the direction it’s going (“pool party” is definitely a very, very bad sign), I don’t see it ever getting better. We’ll see if I ever regain any enthusiasm, but don’t expect any more big writeups. Unless something earthshaking happens. Like seeding. :wink:

His feet hit the water on the dismount from the ladders, and he had traction issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2020/08/04/american-ninja-warrior-champ-charged-child-sex-crimes-porn-teen-underage/

Aw, jeez. I’ll wait to see how this develops before deciding how terrible it really is, of course, but I’d just like to say, thank Yukari I’ve never been one to idolize athletes.

I’ve been doing plenty of soul searching about the recently-completed ANWJ2. I have, quite frankly, found it shocking how joyous I was at the beginning and the mile-deep pit of misery and rage I was in at the end. I know how much you enjoy my bombastic recaps, so just fair warning, if there is a third time (and it’s very likely there will be), it’s going to be much shorter and much more to the point. I don’t have the energy for this anymore, and more to the point, I don’t want to expend energy on an exercise that’s going to make me unhappy. I really can’t afford that at this point in my life.

On more pleasant (for various levels of “pleasant”) news…USA vs. The World! It happened! :neutral_face: (Man, all these new smileys rock! :grin:) I’m going to watch it in full tonight. From the few snippets I’ve seen so far, it looks like it’s either going to be less jingoistic or NBC is doing its best to cut out excessive jingoism, which is a plus. Don’t think I’ll have much to say, however, the main reason being that it’s following the same format as the last…two? Oh, man, that’s how you know things are truly hopeless. Well, if our side wins this enough times, that combined with our standing in the world currently somewhere between “abyss” and “bottomless pit” should convince the producers to consider the point made and end this, so that’s something to look forward to, I guess. Yeah, definite :roll_eyes:. (Seriously, so many! I’ll never use them all! :crazy_face:)

Quick rundown of the teams in previous contests, winners in boldface:
1: USA, Japan, Europe
2: USA, Japan, Europe
3: USA, Europe, Latin America
4: USA, Europe, Latin America, Asia
5: USA, Europe, Australia
6: USA, Europe, Australia

Blockquote[quote=“DKW, post:671, topic:694839”]
know how much you enjoy my bombastic recaps, so just fair warning, if there is a third time (and it’s very likely there will be), it’s going to be much shorter and much more to the point. I don’t have the energy for this anymore, and more to the point, I don’t want to expend energy on an exercise that’s going to make me unhappy. I really can’t afford that at this point in my life.
[/quote]

I can take over the in-depth recaps for season three if you want. I think I enjoyed the past season much more than you did.

Fine by me. Always glad to hear someone else’s perspective. In fact, pretty much the only thing left I’d still want cover in-depth would be Ninja vs. Ninja, and that one looks dead in the water.

More on Dreschel’s current woes. It’s looking pretty bad. At the absolute minimum, there’s never going to be a serious push for NBC to bring him back. I actually find this a fairly interesting case, as you can certainly point to athletes in other sports who have committed far, FAR worse sexual offenses and have emerged mostly unscathed. But they’re the best of the best in prestigious leagues and play well-respected sports. Dreschel competed in an adaptation of a corny Japanese game show where every moment is edited to within an inch of its life. In his top year he won $1,000,000, comparable to maybe an NFL second string running back or an MLB prospect fresh from AAA. Averaged throughout his whole career, his $1,100,000 doesn’t even sniff most leagues’ minimums. More importantly, ANW isn’t the type of reality show that brooks bad behavior. For shameless dramafests like The Bachelor, Jersey Shore, or Survivor or fire-breathing melees like Hell’s Kitchen or The Amazing Race, bad behavior is perfectly fine, if not outright encouraged. ANW isn’t like that; it’s all about good and nice and positive and uplifting and supportive and nurturing and bawk-a-bawk-a-bawk-a-bawk-a, and however accurate this carefully-crafted image is, NBC isn’t going to allow anyone to rock the boat no matter how successful he was.

I doubt that the producers will have any trouble writing him out of the picture. If they could get past Kacy Catanzaro, they can get past this. The real question, for me, is if Dreschel can land on his feet and continue being a mentor. Not only do I think he can, I don’t think it’s going to be particularly hard. Just because NBC has high standards when it comes to its stars doesn’t mean the gym-going public is going to be as unforgiving. Count on a lot of his current customers saying “The controversy is overblown”, “I was like that once”, “He’s still a good guy, he just had one little lapse,” “A 15-year-old is practically an adult these days,” “C’mon, he’s a man, what do you expect him to do,” “What he does in his private life is his own business,” “Who doesn’t have some porn somewhere,” etc. etc. etc. etc. In my dreary experience, while Americans talk a good fight when it comes to “protecting their children”, they are incredibly blase about who they allow to do things to their young ones. This is going to play out exactly like Michael Jackson, Kanye West, and Vince McMahon. There will be a lot of loud indignation and then absolutely nothing happens. Bank on it.

Aside: How royally cheesed off do you think Daniel Gil is right now? Had this news hit the fan just a couple years sooner, he would’ve had the top finish of season 11. Now every time he sees Dreschel’s face, he has to think, “Lousy bastard cost me a hundred grand!”

According to wiki, much of Europe has an age of consent of 14 or 15, so it’s weird to call out America for abusing its children in the context of a story where in other countries it wouldn’t be a crime in the first place.

Maybe so, but have you considered that the kids themselves know about this and want nothing to do with him?

Just making sure everyone’s seen this.

[Bunch of other stuff I’ve wanted to start threads about for a while…work’s been tough lately…do I have the energy?..no. All right…]

Firstly, the last thing I’ll say about the Dreschel situation. I will not make any judgments about the man’s character until I get absolutely ironclad information on 1. how much pressure the teenager in question was actually under and 2. how she took it afterward. 18 is a number. I’ve known tweeners who could do an oil change or cook for four, and I’ve known recent high school graduates who couldn’t say “thank you” without a teleprompter. Hell, in my current job I routinely deal with elderly with the intelligence, maturity, and/or worldliness of elementary students. If this person was at least reasonably sexually mature and knew what she was getting into, that takes off…not ALL the heat, but certainly a lot of it. However, this knowledge must come from a completely reliable source. I am not interested in the usual tedious blatherings of armchair psychologists who invariably insist that “she was totally leading him on” or similar bullcrap. And yes, I’m willing to accept the possibility that the truth may never come out.

As for his future training prospects, I find the idea that kids wanting nothing to do with him (and I doubt that there will be very many) will hurt his career in any way laughable. They’re kids. They have no power whatsoever. The horrible, emotionally traumatizing crap my parents forced me to do that I’ve forgotten about could fill an OP. Look up the story of Bob Knight for a chilling case study in how parents will gleefully throw their progeny under a train. And those were college students.

Anyway, the real reason I’m writing this: there was an All Stars Skills Challenge this Monday. The fifth, to be exact. For a while I thought it was a repeat, like the two USA vs. The Worlds that ran last month, but no, this one’s brand new. Well, prerecorded and edited to within an inch of its life, but you know what I mean. One thing that I noticed throughout was all the cosmically tiresome intentional jumping into the water by various participants. I recall the equally ludicrous “pool parties” which closed out ANWJ2. At first I thought that Eyes and Bodge were simply trying to ease the sting of all the ridiculous matchups in prelims due to the lack of seeding losing, but now I see something far more serious at play…the producers trying to make failure cool. Remember all the hype leading up to the season 11 finale, how the promos repeatedly announced that THERE WILL BE A WINNER? Which led to, among other things, the most creampuff Stage 2 ever and Dreschel being all but giftwrapped the grand prize…which ended up biting everyone involved in this spectacle in the butt so hard they needed an entire team of medics to rip the skin off of them? Now the message is clear: Enjoy the sight of the pretty bodies falling into the pretty water, because that is the future of this show. The party is over. Total Victory is strictly optional from here on out, and look for “strictly optional” to become “not happening” before long.

Ah well. Kicking things off, as always, was the…

= TEAM CHALLENGE =
It happened!

Rating: :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless: Honestly, the hosts sounded like they’re getting as tired of this garbage as I am. None of them did any real trash talk or chest-thumping. It’s as if they know that they have no real connection to any of these teams. They didn’t train them, they didn’t feed them, they didn’t provide medical care or transportation. They just wrote some names on a piece of paper and hoped for the best. I didn’t feel anger, or much of anything else, for that matter. Guess every sport needs its dumb traditions.

= FEARSOME FERRIS WHEEL =
The theme for this event is “Mentors And Their Students”, because apparently someone thought there would be merchandising. The opening matchup pits Dave Cavanagh against “wise pupil” Lucas Reale. Cavanagh takes a commanding lead early, and even a very nifty transition by Reale isn’t enough to close the gap.

Next up, Daniel “Dag” Gil faces his young student Mathis “Cougar” Owhadi. Dag went through a very rough patch in season 11, first suffering a humiliating loss to Cougar on the Power Tower, then failing Stage 4 and finishing in second place, which, this being a reality show, was the equivalent of getting repeatedly blasted by a shotgun before being urinated on by an entire herd of horses. (And of course, tack on a Warner Brothers anvil being dropped on a sensitive spot after the Drew Dreschel unpleasantness broke.) A medal here won’t make up for that, but it will ease the pain just a lit…

…oh boy. Eyes and Bodge are going absolutely nuts because the competitors have decided to do this run blindfolded, which gives you some idea of how microscopically little it takes to drive Eyes and Bodge nuts. The contest, needless to say, is a sloppy and mostly forgettable affair, although Cougar learns that it’s possible to look incredibly stupid and get completely clobbered, so live and learn, I guess.

Oh, did I mention that this contest took a freaking long time and Dag had to go right again for the final? I mean, he had to know this, right? What the hell was he doing completely wearing himself out before the money match? Couldn’t he at least have insisted on the first match? Like, TRY, at least??

Final blah vs. blah Cavanagh wins.

Rating: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: Well, this was pretty embarrassing, but in all fairness, it could’ve been a lot worse. At least Dag kept it kinda close at the end. If he can avoid shooting himself in the foot in the future, he’ll claim his hundred grand yet!

= STRIDING STEPS =
Oh hey, the first round will be all moronic gimmick theme matches! That’s always an unspeakably godawful idea, and did we learn NOTHING from ANWJ2?? fun! First up are the “Towers of Power” Brandon Mears and Dan Polizzi, and the fact that no one ever refers to them individually gives you some idea of how much they’ve accomplished. Ooh, they have a bet! :rage:

Second match…ugh. Barclay Stockett vs. a 6’ 6” man…which they requested, because oh who gives a flaming crap why. The phrase “criminally stupid” comes to mind. As does “NO! JUST NO!” :man_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Third…holy crap, this is just agonizing now. You remember Jesse “Clubhouse” Labreck? The indomitable superwoman of NVN1? Who crushed her feeble opposition like gnats? Who outduelled Adam Rayl to one of the most spectacular team event triumphs ever? Who held the trophy in the end? Well, forget about all that, because she is now officially nothing but an appendage of Chris Digangi, and everything she ever accomplished prior to her marriage means jack squat! :rage: (Seriously, how has NVN1 completely vanished into the ether? Heck, even College Madness gets a callback once in a blue moon.) They’re “uber competitive”, which she’s assured everyone has no chance of blowing up in her face! Oh, right, they also have a bet! Loser has to do all the laundry for the next six months! Because no ANW story is more inspirational than forcing a woman to stay home and do the housework! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

And finally, the battle of the hair-obsessed preening musclehead irritating loudmouths, Ben “Chaff” Udy and Grant “Tryhard” McCartney. Yeah, I’m pretty sure I need a drink now.

Chaff [stuff stuff sugar finish more stuff] eventually wins this space shuttle crash.

Rating: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: What the frack were they thinking??

= MEGA SPIDER CLIMB =
Uggghhh…and you’ll never guess what the theme for this one is. City vs. city! Atlanta vs. Chicago! Chicago vs. Atlanta! Metropolis vs. metropolis! Thing vs. thing! X vs. X! Hey, maybe if you didn’t have twenty freaking faaaarrrrmmmm profiles every season, I might buy that you give a crap about this! :angry:

Oh, lovely, Ethan “Lemming” Swanson is a part of this, meaning that about 80% of the coverage is going to be arm flapping. Because no way did that not get completely old hat roughly ten years ago! :woman_facepalming:

Oh, even lovelier, both Chicagoers won, thereby taking a chainsaw to the pathetically…gah, I don’t have the will anymore. Michael Torres wins it.

Rating: :spider: :spider: :spider: :spider:

= BIG DIPPER FREESTYLE =
Last year I thought the idea of a contest determined by the hosts was beneath contempt, so of course it immediately became massively popular and a fixture of this event forever and ever. It’s okay, I’m used to it by now. :anguished: Given that we’ve had a grand total of three objective (not fair, just objective) medals given out tonight…damn, that is paltry…I wasn’t intending to give this complete time-waster any more attention than the inaugural contest. But as I was watching it, something weird happened…

Taking the first plunge is Jessie Graff. Sweet mercy, I used to be inspired by her, but now every time I see her out there I just pray she doesn’t screw up horribly. It’s always triumph or tragedy for her, and as she’s been getting older we’ve been seeing more of the latter. She does a pretty crisp flutterkicking backflip in the air but lands in the water hard. Of course, the rules of Olympic diving don’t apply here, meaning that the hosts are free to be as generous as they want, and the respond by giving her a 23.

Second is Adam Rayl, who intends to do a Heisman pose while Nick Hanson throws him a football from the sideline. And…that’s it. He successfully snags the ball but drops it as he hits the water. Score: 21, including a 6 from Eyes. The crowd doesn’t like this, but for once I agree with him; if all you’re doing is a gimmick, you have to nail it.

Third is Najee Richardson, who does some gymnastics move I don’t know the name of. He struggles to get the bar going but finally does and…does a bunch of stuff in the air followed by a big splash. 25 in all.

The fourth and final contestant is Grant “Tryhard” McCartney, who is wearing a skimpy Speedo, which will in no way cause an unfair bias in the judging. :roll_eyes: (Zuri Hall wails “My virgin eyes!”, and you can point to this exact moment where I don’t give a flying frag if I ever see her on TV again. :rage:) He’s rigged a hoop made out of rubber tubing in midair, which he clearly intends to go through. He’s off…well, after he slams the bar on the track a bunch of times in what is no way an attempt to pander to the crowd so they’ll pressure the hosts to inflate their scores. :woman_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :woman_facepalming: It’s a backflip through the hoop…and he’s through cleanly! Not even a graze! That was pretty impressive! Not sure it deserved a 30, but nicely done!

Second round is up, and sure, why not 3WA-ize Rayl given that we’ve had every other form of BS tonight. :angry: He does some weird tumbling thing which draws an anemic 17, dropping him completely out of contention.

McCartney steps up for his second. The hoop is on the water this time; if he nails this, he assures himself another 30 and nothing but tears for his two remaining foes. He’s off! A pretty double backflip and a fairly clean entry…but it’s short of the hoop! Bodge immediately taunts “airrrrballll”, and while he definitely should get punched in the face for that, he illustrated the risk of incorporating a clear demarcation of success; if you miss, it give the judges free rein to tear you apart. The first time the high-risk ploy worked, the second time it didn’t, and he pays the price with a lackluster 22.

That opens the door for Richardson who’s…trying to one up Ethan Swanson by doing some kind of swan thing? Ooh, double-edged sword, big guy. Eyes and Hall give him 10 and 9, but Bodge didn’t like the entry and holds up a 7. Final tally, 26, 1 point short of McCartney. Accursed subjectivity!

Now it all comes down to ANW’s grand dame. The formidable mark is there for all to see. A 29 ties. A 30 wins. Does she have one more amazing clutch effort in her? She’s going to start with a very awkward-looking inverted split and do a “superhero pose” in midair. And…she does it! The problem is that while she pulled it off flawlessly, there wasn’t a whole lot of technique involved. Or rather, it would be a problem if this was a contest with a nanosoupcon of legitimacy instead of a cornball reality TV contest with cornball reality TV judging, and wouldn’t you know it, they give her a 29! Two can play this ridiculous game, McCartney! :wink:

That means that the top two have to do it one more time, and I’m wondering along with everyone else if they even have a third dive in them. Graff goes first. She’s…going backwards? And does a…pike? Tuck? Don’t know the exact term, but it’s crisp…and a very sweet entry! The hosts are all over themselves praising the Olympic-ness, and whaddya know, Dancing With The Stars judging in full effect! 30! The queen does it again! :grin:

Now McCartney, who was flying high just a few minutes ago, is staring Completely Worthless Reality TV Second Place in the face. What can he even do now? He’s switched to his normal island duds, so you know he’s dead serious about this. And he…calls for Adam Rayl to help him? Holy…he’s going down with Rayl holding onto him! The bar is bending! They go down…a single backflip…and a clean entry! How about that? There’s no way in hell that’s not getting a 30! The scores are up…and it’s a 30! Which should be no surprise as there was no way in hell it wasn’t going to be that!

Graff, after completely dominating Spider Climb two years ago, pulls of an impressive come-from-behind effort to claim her second medal and add yet another chapter to her already-gargantuan ANW book of achievements. Meanwhile McCartney turns in unprecedented bookend 30s to win his first medal and cement his status as the good “crazy” contestant.

Rating: :roll_eyes: :angry: :worried: :slightly_smiling_face: :man_shrugging: Don’t get me wrong, this was every bit as stupid as it was the first time, but credit to the hosts for having some decency and not sending home Graff or McCartney unhappy. I actually was reasonably satisfied by the outcome…if you’re going to be bogus, at least be bogus for good. I’m glad I watched this all the way through, although if the rest of the night was any better I might not be so grateful.

Well, that’s it. All-Star Special the Fifth is in the books. The first season of the post-Dreschel era starts next Monday, September 7. I’ll be back when I have something to say about it.

3 medals: Sean Bryan, Drew Dreschel
2 medals: Jessie Graff, Nicholas Coolridge

All right, three weeks in, going to take off next Monday for the Stanley Cup. My thoughts on this season so far.

It’s official: the music is now the absolute single worst thing about this show. I know, worse than Eyes and Bodge, the endless waiweewuwwaweis, the glurgeriffic profiles, the utterly nonsensical use of timers, the lack of a sensible prize structure, the constant flow-wrecking cuts to the repulsive peanut gallery, the ghastly injuries, and the borderline monomaniacal focus on meaningless trivia? Believe me when I say that the neverending treacly droning leitmotifs leave them all in the dust. There were times when I thought I was listening to one of those save-the-children charities.

Nick Hanson got up the Mega Wall but finished just outside the top 12, and since that’s a hard number this season, this means that he’s not going to whatever-they’re-calling-siffies. Eh. If you ask me, this says more about the ever-growing need for a more even distribution of strong and weak contestants throughout the cities, as the other two definitely didn’t have so many finishers. Regardless, he has the ten grand, which is the only thing that truly matters. This is his second mega wall, which puts him into a tie with Daniel Gil and Ryan Stratus for third all time on the money list. And as soon as I figure out why the hell I still keep track of these things, I’ll be glad to share.

Tough break for Michelle Warnky, who’s almost certainly done. I just hope that when NBC does the big retrospective on her, they do her better than they’re doing Jesse Labreck and cover everything. (Team events, hint hint!)

Austin Gray’s here, and this will completely blow your mind, but it’s been a little over two years since he first bust onto the scene, and NBC still, still, still has absolutely jack squat to say about him other than that one time he donated a kidney! This man is a bigger blank slate than Meagan Martin. I’ve completely given up at this point. It’s tough to put him on the same “not another word until he does something else” with Ryan Stratis, Bret Sims, and Kenny Niemitalo for something that really wasn’t his fault, but I have to do this if I want to avoid completely losing hope.

Completely excising Drew Dreschel was tough to pull off and has led to some very awkward moments, in particular completely excising Power Tower from the first episode with zero explanation. All that reediting must have been a major headache for NBC, and I applaud them for doing what had to be done. That they were willing to stand on principle and deal a huge hassle sent a powerful message, that American Ninja Warrior will not brook creeps and scumbags even if they’re big stars. We’ve seen so much utter trash in other sports endure for season after season after season, never facing any real consequences for their disgusting actions, that for NBC to drop the hammer hard and hold firm is heartening. Not enough to make up for the tenfold hosing of Geoff Britten, but I’ll take what I can get.

Man, that poor guy really did get hosed.

How does the current American Ninja Warrior course compare to the Sasuke course, and what do the Japanese think of our take on their program?