[QUOTE=fetus]
I live almost as far away from Canada as you can while still doing your History homework in English
[/QUOTE]
So, you live in Perth, then?
[QUOTE=matt_mcl]
Huh. I’ve always heard “buck” as simply meaning the currency: so I could have five bucks regardless of whether it was a $5 bill, 5 loonies, two twonies and a loonie, etc.
[/QUOTE]
You’re right, “buck” is still used that way. But I find that usage to be less common than it once was. Maybe it’s a general vs. specific thing. Consider thse examples:
“Matt, can you loan me five bucks until tomorrow?” (General: I need five dollars; I don’t care in what form.)
“Matt, can you loan me a couple of loons so I can get a Coke from the machine?” (Specific–I need loons; the machine won’t take bills.)
I don’t know. Maybe the times when we have to speak specifically of the coin is why I find “buck” to be less common now that we have loonies and toonies.
No, but I live in its sister city.
:smack: I meant to say “as far directly south”, of course.