Amsterdope..... who's bringing the 'amsters?

Morning Trash !
Hoping to book this today (hurrah !) but I’m a little confused…………

The link I’m seeing still has the room rates at:

Single NLG 175 / Double or Twin NLG 200

Am I not looking at the right page ?

errmmm…and this is the page I’m looking at:
http://www.bookings.nl/mercure/amstel

When I booked mine on Saturday, it was still 150. I guess that is a downside to the internet, its way too easy to change prices often.

LC, check your email. I sent you a copy of my confirmation with the rates at NLG 150 single & NLG 175 double. Perhaps if you fax that to the hotel with a request for the same rate because we’re part of the same group, they’ll honor it. I’ll also try to keep my eye on that site to see if it goes down again. Let me know if you have any success.

Nice photo, Coldie – which one’s your girlfriend ?

Thanks kferr and Shayna. I’m exploring options – the ‘group rate’ angle sounds promising. Keep ya’ll posted.

Like the sound of the Turkish Bath - if no one can’t find me, I’ll be there. Possibly the only one wearing the shiny a medallion and flared trunks. Yeah, baby.

I haven’t checked in for the last few days, and now it seems I’m in the market for a hotel room. Shayna, would you e-mail me a copy of what you sent to LC and I’ll try to wangle the same deal.

Well… sinceno one else has said it yet.

You’re all sick sick people. Gerbiling is unacceptable, whether done with gerbils, or the alternate hamsters. I hope you’re all ashamed. And if this is how you get your sick twisted thrills, I most definetely will not be attending any EuroDopes.

hibernicus, you’re still welcome at my place mate (I seem to recall that you were on of the first to express interest, but it’s been a while). If you bring a an air mattress and a sleeping bag, there’s plenty of floor space left. And Spiny ain’t gonna use the shower, so don’t worry about the line getting longer. :wink:

London_Calling: my girlfriend isn’t in the picture, contrary to popular belief. :smiley:

Shayna - Would you please e-mail me that hotel rate info?

I spoke to the hotel (again) today (0031-20-665-8181) – worryingly, they play country and western music when you’re on hold – and they think a consistent discount price for all of us is possible. I said our group has currently made two firm reservations with three more coming in the next day or two and with others to possibly follow those.

Not sure how to handle this as they want all the names faxed to them. I’ don’t know everyone’s surname, no fax at home….How about we ask them to accept all bookings made under the group name to be accepted at the price Shayna and kferr obtained on Saturday ? Plus what is our group name ?

Do we then book through that Agency link or with the hotel direct ?

Coldie, if you’re out there do you think you might be able to pop by the hotel and have a chat ?

p.s. The girl I spoke with said any correspondence should be addressed to ‘Hannea’ at Reservations

LC, you’re such a sweetheart to do all this checking. I will need at least two double rooms (I should have had ten more kids :)) so getting a good cost will give us more to spend on wooden shoes and other necessities.

Who is this He-Man guy? Should I be afraid?

Does anyone know if the van Gogh Museum and Ann Frank’s house are open during the weekend? We would like to visit both so I am trying to decide how long we should stay in Amsterdam.

Those will be open, Diane.

L_C: tell you what. I’ll see what I can do.

Everybody who wants to check into the Hotel Mercure Amstel, send me the following data (also, those who have already booked):

Name
Family name
Nationality, passport number
Birth date
Address, zip code, street, country

I’ll compile the info and drop by the hotel tomorrow night to make a deal with them - it’s just a 5 minute walk anyway. How’s that?

Ba ba ba ba baba ba bump.

OK lads and lasses, I’ve got Diane’s stuff (Diane, no kids coming?) and Kferrs details (didn’t know you were a Yank, mate ;)). I HAVE to have all your info before tomorrow, 19:00 CET (6 hours ahead of NYC, I think). That’s when I’ll take a walk to the hotel.

LC, Shayna, Fierra, those I’m forgetting… please send me the details so I can get everything together for a nice group discount.

Diane & Coldfire, I just sent you both my hotel booking information. Thanks so much for working on getting us a group rate, Coldie! Don’t forget, though, that fierra and I are sharing, so when you get her info, don’t ask for a separate room for her, k?

L_C, perhaps our group name could be The Ad[d]ams Family. We’re all extremely witty, slightly obnoxious and highly intelligent (ala Cecil), plus, we’re a bunch of weirdos and freaks, so it kindof fits, no? :smiley:

Coldfire, can I spend US dollars there, or should I try to get some money converted before I arrive?

oldscratch, from one sicko to another - wish you could be there, but since you can’t… eat your heart out. :wink:

**Brilliant !! **, Shayna. ‘The Addams Family’ is perfect but what I really, really wanna be (ziggy, zig, zag) is Uncle Fester. Please, let me play, please, PLEASE !!

Da da da da click click, da da da da click click………

Diane, darling – I have no idea who He-Man is but shouldn’t you know – at least a little ?!? He’s the b-f you selected from the roster to carry the luggage, see off those dodgy furriners sniffing around your offspring and generally perform kinda …manliesque. I’ve assumed he’s probably something of a He-Man as, one imagines, demands upon his services tend to be not infrequent…………………

Coldie Good Man ! Thanks very much for doing this – we were coming to something of an impasse with time running short so this is much appreciated. Sorry to have to ask and hoping it’s not too inconvenient. Thanks again! Details wending their way………

Shayna - In my experience, the best currency exchange rates (the best deal being a combination of exchange rate and ‘commission’ charged for each transaction) are often obtained at the airport upon arrival in the country. Not always but I find that to be a useful general rule (assuming one can see a competitor or two for your business inside the same airport terminal). Anyone else got a view ?

So, is our group name The Addams Family - as I recall, weren’t they into a different kind of collars and cuffs ???
Well, well…

Oh actually, Shayna. It might be worth checking with your bank to see how competitive their ATM currency rates are and what they charge per transaction as this can also be a competitive option once abroad. Handy as well.

My experience is that ATMs are the most economic option. Best rates, as long as you don’t withdraw tiny amounts. Just take 300 Guilders per turn, and you’ll get the daily rate plus maybe a 5 Guilder fee.

There are no cambios at Schiphol, just a few bank offices (which happen to belong to the bank yours truly works for). You can exchange there, but it’s more expensive than the ATM fee. Check your debit card. If it has the Cirrus and/or the Maestro logo on it (99% of all cards do), you can use it here. If that doesn’t work, use a MasterCard or Visa Creditcard to retrieve your money from an ATM (slightly more expensive, and be sure to remember your credit cards PIN). Debit cards are the best option. Exchanging at the cambios downtown will only make your holiday needlesly expensive.

OK, thanks for sending all the info, guys! Shayna and Fierra are bunking together. Anyone else want to share a room, or is it one double and the rest singles?

Whoops, forgot to send you the info on my kids, Coldie. I’ll send that to you right now along with my passport number.

LC - Ahhhhh, THAT’S He-Man. You had me worried and a little excited for a moment. I guess I didn’t put two and two together since I am the one in this relationship with the muscles. :slight_smile:

I’m all for the Addams Family as long as I get to be Morticia.

Hmm, who should I be? I’m 6’5", so I could be Lurch, but I’ve also got long hair, so I could be Cousin It.