An All-Chimpanzee Cast

Hi Everyone!

There was a movie back in the 1930’s called The Little Covered Wagon, and it had an all-chimpanzee cast.

Has anyone on the SDMB actually watched this movie, and if so, what did you think of it?

Have any DVDs of this movie been released yet???

I haven’t seen that, but a 1940s movie named Bill and Coo had an all-bird cast

The iMDB doesn’t list a movie called The Little Covered Wagon, with or without chimps. I’ve never heard of it. might be such a small film it’s off the radar.

If you like all chimp dramas, then you’ll like this (w/Steve Martin as a bonus).

Dunno about an all-chimp Western, but on the subject of oddly cast Westerns there is The Terror of Tiny Town, an all-midget Western that is supposed to be the worst movie ever made …

I don’t know anything about an all-chimp western either, but no discussion of an all-chimp cast can be complete without mentioning Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp.

Reminds me of Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp.

An all-chimp James Bond parody, for TV.

The third post in this thread mentions both of these movies. It references ‘The Terror of Tiny Town’ as a companion piece to the all-chimp western.

There were a lot of wierd Westerns. I recall one called “Harlem on the Prarie” with an all black cast.

Same wierd-western-making machine that directed “Terror in Tiny Town.” Link

This film had a mostly-ape cast.

What?

Don’t forget the Chimp Channel , which ran on TBS in 1999.

Ah, I thought this would be about “North of 50-50,” which I can’t seem to find any info on through Google. We have a copy of it at work. It’s a silent film with an all animal cast about a monkey who falls in love with a duck.

OK, I give up. Vhy a duck?

A search on the internet fails to turn up anything at all on this film (aside from one mention on another Board, cited above, which for all I know might have been made by kitemaker under another name) .

I was prepared to completely write this off, but then I remembered something from my youth. On the Sunday morning WNEW Channel 5 kids’ show Wonderama they used to show a lot of odd short films, and there was a series, IIRC, that had all-chimpanzee casts. It’s conceivable that one of these was a mock Western called “The little Covered wagon”. A lot of those old time-filing theatrical shorts and TV fodder (which is what I['m sure this must have been) haven’t been well-catalogued, and might not yet show up on any internet sites.

If that’s what this was, then it’s not a full-length film by any means, but a 5 minute or so short, probably with a cheap joke at the end.

As tanstaafl, Bosda Di’Chi of Tricor and cochrane have already mentioned, Lancelot Link was what came to my mind. Hearing Mata Hairy call “Laaah-yince” became a greeting for a friend of mine with a similar sounding last name. He was “Lance” from then until this very day. Either that or “Sundance” (primarily for the reference to Larry Csonka of the Miami Dolphins in Monday Night Football and Dandy Don Meredith’s nicknames of that era).

Hey, ArchiveGuy, thanks for that Steve Martin link. I remember those old specials fondly.

And, as long as I’m here:

“I hate every ape I see,
From chimpan-a to chimpanzee,
Oh, you’ll never make a monkey out of me…”

You need to add “why-a no chicken” to your question.

“Well, I don’t know why-a no chicken. I’m a stranger here myself.”

Because one of its legs is both the same! DUH!

Is this movie going to be another Kirk Cameron Nipple?

Maybe Cecil could tackle the trifecta: find a picture of Kirk Cameron’s nipples (or at least find an explanation of why they’ve never been photographed), find the origin of “Hey Motherfcker, get laid, get fcked” in 'Mony, Mony," and now find some info about this chimp western.