An old lady got pissed at me in a bar last night.

Crazy Old Bat: “You got a problem.”

Proper Response: “Yes, I know. We don’t talk about it.” (Turn to face drink; cry, dripping tears into glass)
~VOW

In the grocery store on a Sunday morning. I had just started my shopping and was still in the produce section.
A woman comes up to me a whispers “want to know a secret?”. I said ok and then she whispers “Jesus loves you”.
It being Sunday morning and thinking I am dealing with a religious nut, I say “shouldn’t you be in church?” She replies “shouldn’t you?” and just walks away.
Living in the bible belt, I have encountered plenty of religious zealots and figured this was another one. But for the rest of the shopping trip our paths kind of paralleled each other up and down the aisles and she never spoke to anyone else or to me again. Just went on with her shopping.
Very odd encounter.

Good thing I’m not People.

I had a woman ask me for money once at the local light rail station, and I politely told her no, that I didn’t have any. Which was the truth actually.

She went into a huge tirade about how assholes like me look down on good people like her, and hoard our money, etc… At some point, the terms “rich white men like you” came out of her mouth.

I had to blink at that one; I work for the municipal government and am far from rich. I was wearing a polo shirt and slacks that day, and to cap it all off, the woman ranting at me was as white as I am!

I guess, I’m confused by the OP’s response. If I were sitting in a bar, and someone sitting near me, said I had a problem, I would have enquired what that problem was. Sure engaging drunk people can have its risks, but generally these types of conversations tend to be humorous and enlightening about the emotionally and mentally disturbed in our community.

Brief hijack in response. Calling someone an “old white guy” in an uncomplimentary manner is something I do far too often. I* am* an old white guy.

/hijack

My thought exactly.

Me neither!

:wink:

At first, I thought I might have misheard her, but once she did the zipper pull across her lips, we’d established that she has mental issues… and who knows how deep that rabbit hole goes.

Never engage dumb or crazy people, it’s at best pointless and at worst potentially dangerous. They’re operating on a whole different plane of existence. Let the white coats deal with her.

Crazy Old Bat: “You got a problem.”

What I wish I was fast enough to think of to say: “Is it not enough beer? Because I can fix that: BARKEEP!”

I’m older than your “old lady.” Yeah, you got a problem.

I think the most perplexing part about it is that I’m not old, and I don’t look older than my 46 years. Very little gray hair, wrinkles or anything like that.

So right. Walking out after a late movie our car was all alone in the middle of the parking lot and some guy was slinking along the far (driver’s side). There is no other car anywhere around and it was nowhere near the mall so I figured he was trying to break into it. I hit the alarm button on my fob and he walks quickly off saying over his shoulder, “You didn’t have to do that! I wasn’t going to rape and kill you!”

Wow, oddly specific.

Which word did he stress?! The AND?

the WASN’T

Before key fobs with alarms were a thing, my brother rigged something up to his Jeep. It was a piece of junk Jeep, no one was gonna steal it. He ran around in it all Summer with no top on. But his little noise maker was hilariously funny, to him. He liked putting a dollar on the seat and parking somewhere populated. And moving a few paces away and waiting for someone to reach in to grab the dollar. He would set his alarm off and scare the bejeebers out of them. He had several sound effects. A loud siren, a cow mooing, a explosion and a witches cackle. It was funny.

That could be, but I’m pretty sure the OP didn’t initiate the interaction by addressing her as “Old woman!”

Of course not, she might be called Dennis.

Well, I didn’t know she was called `Dennis’…
I applaud Mike’s ability to walk away from the random odd person, even if it means he’ll never know what his problem is.

I need to learn that trick.