And now, a picture of a young boy with an enormous centipede on his head.

And they are quite harmless. They are commonly sold as pets, in fact.

I’ve never owned one, mostly because I think they’re pretty boring. Still, they make for rather unusual and low-maintenance pets.

No no no. This is bugs on your brain.

I tawt I taw a thentipede… I did, I did thee a thentipede[/Tweety]

So, finish the joke already. And make sure it ends differently from my previous post!

And now, a boy with a huge centipede on his brother’s head with a tape recorder up its nose.

Our local Petco sells those things, should anyone want one as a pet.

Mrs Shibb, who is from Thailand, always told me those were poisonous, or bit, or somesuch. Can anyone debunk that, or is there a more dangerous version in Southeast Asia?

Aren’t centipedes poisonous, not millipedes?

And don’t look at me like I’m crazy or something, but whenever I see a huge bug like that, I always imagine how gross it would be to eat it. Is that some holdover from when we swung in the trees, or am I just nuts?

Centipedes are poisonous. I don’t know of any millipedes that are.

Many months back I posted quotes from the Eat a Bug Cookbook, a real cookbook that’;s really about eating bugs. One of my best culinary purchases ever. I don’t think I’ll ever make any of the recipes, but the book is a goldmine of information. Plus it’s fun to read aloud and watch other people turn green.

I learn from this book that centipedes are edible, but that millipedes aren’t – they’re poisonous to eat. Someone else on the Board noted that some centipedes were, too. So don’t go frying up centipedes unless you can tell the poisonous ones from the non-poisonous ones. And always clip off the “poison jaws” before you eat. And the sex organs, if you’re fastidious.

And put a bamboo skewer through it, so it doesn’t curl up on the grill.

That contrary beast has got Fear Factor written all over it.

More like Four Factor, since it has two leg pairs per segment.

pinkfreud, you’re adorable! And you’ve got nerves of steel, I get all jittery just looking at that thing. Look at it! It’s right there! On your arm! ARGH! hyperventilates

Big bugs… ugh. I hate little bugs. But bugs with many, many legs I hate the most. Those suckers can move. A spider (fine, it’s an animal, but it’s bug-like enough to me) with eight legs moves at frightening speeds, I can’t even begin to fathom this… this thing. If it wanted to, it could be up one leg and down the other fifty times before I finally passed out in fright.

Anastasaeon, you need to rent Starship Troopers.
Trust me. :wink:

I found this in a US Army Guide for Staying Healthy in Thailand:

I’m betting those millipedes don’t make such good pets.

Funny, the Bug’s Guide To Staying Healthy In South-East Asia says almost exactly the same thing about the US Army. I love the smell of squirting fluid in the morning. It reminds me of…victory.

I definitely don’t want any centipedes curling up on my grill. No sirree bob!

Looks like a confused kid with a unibrow.

If you were fastidious, would you even be eating bugs in the first place?

Just not on Fridays.