And One Ring To Bind Her...

The “two months’ salary” rule of thumb is “traditional” all right – it’s traditionally the way DeBeers convinces men who are already anxious about the whole prospect of proposing (“what if she says no?”, “what if the ring isn’t right?”, “what if I’m making a mistake?”) that one problem at least will be solved if they fork over 16 and 2/3 percent of their annual income. A factor that’s conveniently elided is that very few people, particularly the ones in their twenties who make up the bulk of the engagement ring market, were making as much last year as they are this year, so that “two months’ salary”, figured in terms of your current salary, represents an even larger chunk of your actual income for the last twelve months. Factor in that people in this age range have typically not been in the workplace long enough to have begun an effective savings and/or retirement plan, and you have a recipe for financial disaster, particularly since so many people don’t actually save the money first, buying that big honkin’ diamond with plastic.

You, and you alone should detemine how much to spend on a ring, taking into account all aspects of your financial situation and the tastes of yourself and your intended. In my personal situation, I spent slightly under a thousand dollars, which represented the money I’d managed to save expressly for that purpose in the time between deciding that I intended to propose and the time when it made sense to do so. The ring means all the more to both of us for this reason, since it represented the first and to that point only fiscally responsible thing I’d done in my adult life; I’d been in a very sad way financially most of the time my wife and I had known each other (in sharp contrast to her), and that I had managed to save the money (and do so without her noticing) meant a great deal to her.

As for the process of selecting the ring, I selected the ring the same way I selected my wife – carefully, with an eye to the overall quality and not how showy it is. The setting is extremely simple – far simpler than she probably would have chosen herself, but it had the merit of having nothing too unusual to object to, and I’m very much in the camp of classic simplicity when it comes to apparel, furnishings, etc., so it appealed to me. In the case of the diamond, it’s not quite one full carat, but it’s a very high-quality stone; I chose quality over size. A good jeweler will take the time to explain the good and bad points of any particular stone and help you arrive at the best option for you – if you want something bigger and don’t mind compromising in the color or clarity, the jeweler will help out. Things you should absolutely require of any jeweler you’re considering doing business with: at least 72 hours to return or exchange the merchandise (particularly important if you select the ring by yourself), ability to handle adjustments and repairs, willingness to explain things and answer your questions, and NO PRESSURE – if someone tries to bully you into buying something, walk away. At this point, it’s still your money and you get to decide who you’re going to give it to.

This may sound scary, but try Ebay. You can get some GREAT deals on there. Since you’re not looking for a huge rock (which is great–they’re ugly as hell), check for antique or vintage engagement rings on Ebay. Those rings tend to have smaller stones in really gorgeous ornate settings. That’s what Brian and I did, and we ended up getting a beautiful ring for about a third of its appraised worth.

Avoid the seller MrAntiques, though. While he was totally cool when we returned the ring, we had to return the ring because it wasn’t what he said it was and couldn’t be resized. I think we ended up getting our good ring from preciousmoments, and she was very, very professional.

You might try antique stores. I’ve gotten several beautiful and unusual rings and the most I ever spent was $300 (for a green tourmaline in an “art-deco” type setting of white gold.)

I bought my wife’s engagement ring via an estate, and managed to get a good-quality Tiffany diamond at a very reasonable price.

I actually like the idea of shopping with her, because that’s what I did, and it really worked. The thing is, she doesn’t necessarily need to know you’re seriously shopping. My wife and I went out to jewelry stores a couple of times, just so we could talk about her preferences, her favored styles, and so on. We weren’t really concerned about price; we were just trying rings on, checking the color of the diamond, debating white gold vs. platinum, filigreed or not, and so on. On the last shopping trip, I totally surprised her: She had no idea that I was planning to propose that night; she thought we were still just looking.

So maybe try that approach. Just check out styles, pay attention to what she likes. Tell her not to worry about the cost; you’re just asking her opinion. Maybe do it over a couple of days, so she gets used to the routine. When you come across something she likes, sneak back and buy it without her knowing about it. Giving her the ring she looked at six hours earlier will be a huge, and wonderful, surprise. I know it was for my wife.

I recommend apatite. It’s a stunning stone, and not too expensive.
http://www.jewelz.com/gembox/rare/290.html

A solitaire setting (w/out the stones) will run you about $80-100; you could probably get a nice setting with a decent sized apatite in the center and two little diamonds on the side. One problem is that it’s not the most common stone for your average everyday jeweler, so it might be hard to find. Tourmaline is also gorgeous, and not too expensive. Do you live in the Chicago area? I still have some jewelry contacts; my Dad owned a jewlery store.

I also agree that you can get a really good deal if you get one from a private buyer, instead of a store. Make sure it has a certificate, though.

Just one comment:

My dad took his current wife shopping for her engagement ring. They looked at several, and finally narrowed it down to two - one that he really liked, and one that she absolutely loved.

He bought her the one he liked best.

Don’t do that.

You might want to consider a London Blue Topaz. It has a nice blue color and you my be able to find one in your price range.

I wanted a colored stone for an engagement ring back in 1977 and had a very hard time trying to get jewelers to even comprehend that I wanted something other than a diamond. My suggestion is to look at different stones and not tell the jeweler that you are looking for a diamond. Having worked in a jewelry store before, they will do their utmost to steer you to a diamond. Better commission. Good Luck.

The double ring thing.

When my husband and I got engaged we shopped in the West Village. We were (and still are, really) quite poor. I got a delicate (read tiny) diamond in a simple gold band and my husband got a beautiful aquamarine . . . earring.

I had been wanting to get a hole in his head (he needed a wife like he needed another. . . you know) and so he got pierced with an engagement ring.

My point? Make your own story. We didn’t spend $400 between us, but it was still sweet and romantic.

Everyone else has already posted good ideas, and I just wanted to add my kudos to you for not buying into that load of obligatory diamond crap. I’ve always thought that spending the price of a car, a house downpayment, a gorgeous bedroom suit, or a trip to some exotic land on – drumroll – a rock on a band of metal! – is ludicrous beyond belief. (Bloom County had a funny strip where Opus went shopping for a diamond ring for his fiancee; wish I could post it, as it is ever so pertinent.) I’m like your GF in the sense that I’d be incensed if my SO went out and blew all that money on something so useless. The symbol of your love is that you are comitting to a life together, not how big a rock you can put on her finger by hocking everything you own.

Buy something beautiful, something that speaks to you, and don’t give a thought to what other people “think” would be right to “prove your love”. :mad:

Did someone already mention antique shops? Sometimes a great source for unique and beautiful jewelry at affordable prices.

BTW, Congratulations! :slight_smile:

Some stone recommendations for you, John:

• lapis - a semiprecious opaque ultramarine blue stone that often has flecks of gold running through it.

• jade - a translucent stone that is very hard and ranges from milky white to deep green.

• opal - a milky white translucent stone with brilliant flecks of color in it. You can also get a fire opal or black opal.

• pearl - most pearls these days are cultured.
    On shopping, I would also like to add that in addition to antique shops and ebay, try your local Renaissance Fair, Highland Games, Irish festival, or ethnic get-together. There are always craftsmen and other jewelers working there that either have something unique, lovely, and not-to-pricey OR you may even be able to work with one and design something your SO will love, while still staying in your price range. At Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie, TX, I picked up a lovely silver puzzle ring with a mounted opal for around $80. The gold rings were about $100 more.

Good luck, and congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

With both my first and second wife, we chose the ring together. After all, it’s going to be on her finger for (hopefully) the rest of her life.

Best solution – walk her by a jewelry store, look in the window, then look soulfully in her eyes and say “They’re beautiful, and I want you to have one. Will you marry me?”

I just knew I got here so late that all the good answers would be taken! Something to keep in mind, colored stones are sometimes fragile, like opals for example. This ring is something she will wear, 24/7 for the next hundred years or so, it’s got to be tough. I’ve shattered opals and jade myself doing dishes. Check out the rest of her jewelry for ideas about the setting and how ornate she would want. I figure you can’t go wrong with a solitare on a plain band. Then she can dress it up, or not, with her wedding band. Check out estate jewelry, if used wedding stuff doesn’t creep you out. And I know you are just as committed to this engagment as she is, but I’ve never met a man who wore an engagment ring, and if one did, the bride to be should buy it. So IMHO, you’re off the hook for that one. Good luck, congrats!!

[hijack]

What better place to advertise? This is the smartest thing a jewelry place could do. I’d say that the average Springer fan probably buys 5 or 6 engagement rings in his lifetime…Try to name a better concentration of the divorced-four-times-by-age-35 crowd than a Springer audience/fans. You just can’t do it.

[/hijack]

No advice, just a pre-emptive congratulations. Or is it too early? I always screw these things up.

Years ago, the tradition was to give the bride-to-be a ring with her birthstone in it. When I bought Momma Jesus’ ring, she had told me that’s what she wanted, so my shopping was easy.

I got a 3 carat, heart-shaped Garnet for less than $100.

One thing you need to think about also is how to give it to her. Especially if it’s a surprise.

We so many alt.religion-types here (no offense intended; Animism has a long and glorious tradition) that somebody has to know the meanings and usefulnesses of various gemstones. How 'bout some suggestions?

My brother got a beautiful half carat triangle cut diamond for his fiancee for 300 bucks at a pawn shop. It appraised for $800. Get someone in the know to look at it first. Pawn shops have a great selection of jewelry (with all kinds of different stones) for cheap.

BTW - I like the idea of a different stone in an engagement ring. My birthstone is a diamond and I’m sick of 'em!

As dragonlady pointed out, some colored stones (if you go that route) are fragile. A friend of mine cracked her emerald engagement ring just days after recieving in. So if you don’t go with a diamond, take into consideration what your fiancee-to-be does with her day (my friend worked in a commercial kitchen and banged her hand against a sheet rack) and the relative brittleness of various stones.

Don’t bother to get an appraisal if you go to a reputable dealer. Appraisals are mostly useless, the only reason you would need one is if you’re planning on insuring the ring (don’t bother…most homeowners policies have blanket coverage for anything valued under $1000), you’re selling it, or you are unsure about the reputability of the seller.

If you feel you absolutely must, make them throw it in as a condition of the sale. Most big stores have one or two GIA certified appraisers able to sign an appraisal. Anyway, all they really do is write down the specifics, list the “full retail price” and sign away.

Make sure you haggle, those 50% off sales only work because the prices are so jacked up. I worked for a small local San Diego chain and their internal policy was to never sell anything for less than a 200% markup. The sales people LOVED the guys who came in and didn’t question their prices, because their commission was directly related to the profit. Bares bones sale = little commission. Full retail sale = maximum commission.

I agree with taking into account the fragility of the stone. You should probably stay away from opals, onyx, lapis and pearls (those can’t even be cleaned normally). Emeralds are better, but still pretty fragile. Hell, even a diamond will chip it you hit the thing right.

This sounds stupid, but take into account her personality. You don’t want to give a fiery, hot-blooded woman a delicate, antique ring. You don’t want to give a woman who favors black clothes and pale makeup a pink tourmaline.

Stay away from tanzanite. It’s a beautiful stone (clear bluish purple) but wickedly expensive.

Be aware (not beware, just be aware)of “lab-created” emeralds and rubies (they may be doing sapphires now too). They are true stones, yet less expensive because they didn’t occur naturally. They are also (usually) flawless, which is a dead give-away. A flawless naturally occurring emerald would be worth a mint. These might be a good choice to go with actually.

Personally, I find topaz, amethyst and citrine stunning. I tend to favor the lighter, clearer (but still vibrantly colored) stones rather that the more opaque ones. I like them in modern, simple settings too. Good for me, I get to pick out all my own jewelry. :smiley:

Good luck!

If you decide to go for a diamond, for heaven’s sake do all you can to avoid “blood diamonds”, that is to say, diamonds that come from wartorn countries like Sierra Leone and were sold to pay for weapons. To pay for war in this way would be unconscionable.