and the Kitchen sink. What do you like about yours?

My Wife and I are undertaking some major remodling. The Kitchen is going to be ripped and replaced.

In looking at kitchen sinks, we are pretty sure that we want to stick with a stainless steel double. This is what we have always had and have grown up with.

There are the basic drop in sinks (again what we have always had) or under mount.

We like the look of the under-mount sink, but are concerned that it would probably be more difficult to clean the (caulked?) edge where the sink meets the underside of the counter top. It’s an inside 90 degree angle all along the edge of the sink. It’s not an issue with the drop in sink.

Opinions and thoughts? Do you have an undermount sink? Do you like it?

This is better suited to IMHO than GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Yes. Thanks. I had more specific questions at first and then changed and it turned into more of an IMHO.

I think you forgot to move it. Thank you in advance for doing so.

I have a stainless steel double sink. I’ve thought about remodeling the kitchen.
If I did, I’d go with an undermount, because it would be easy to wipe things from the counter into the sink. And I’d probably go 2/3 1/3 instead of 1/2 1/2 for the sink, because I have some pots and pans that don’t fit in my sink right now.

-D/a

We have Staron countertops, which is a less costly Corian clone. We got a free integral sink with the countertop–it’s a seamless transition between the two, the sink is just molded into the countertop. I really love not having any lip at all. There’s no place for gunk to accumulate, and it’s easy to just run a washcloth over the countertop and push all the crumbs into the sink to be rinsed away.

Should we ever decide we don’t love it so much, we can have it cut out and replaced with another sink.

A paste of baking soda and dish soap takes off black marks and coffee stains. I have nothing bad to say about our sink.

Undermount sinks are generally considered much easier to clean than overmount ones, but, of course, you can only get them with solid surface counters. No laminate. Reason being, you can sweep stuff from the counter into the sink without getting gunk stuck on the rim. I’ve never heard anyone complain about having trouble cleaning the seam; they’re usually installed with a negative reveal, that is, the countertop hangs over the sink a small fraction of an inch. Nothing can really get caught under it.

Personally, I would not get a double bowl sink unless you do dishes by hand a lot; a single bowl is much more useful, in my opinion, having had both. You can put much larger things in a single bowl. But that’s coming from someone who puts all dirty dishes straight into the dishwasher, so YMMV.

I had a Corian sink similiar to what Sattua describes. The only thing I didn’t like about it was that Corian doesn’t (didn’t then, anyway) offer double bowls. I hated that sink.

I have a 2/3-1/3, stainless, under-mounted sink in my current house. I absolutely love it. Cleaning isn’t a problem.

We got an undermount with our Staron counters, but it was more an issue of getting a double sink that was deeper than the usual cheapos you find, but would still have clearance underneath for the disposal.

In case you’re wavering, I concur with your choice of stainless. We have white ceramic, and aluminum pans will leave scuff marks if you bump the surface when washing it. Also, when I replaced our matching white faucet, the plastic parts of the new one had yellowed within a year (the painted metal parts stayed white) in a North facing window.

Thanks all. I do think we will go with stainless. We would like to do an extra deep one. But, that could cause problems if the drain in the wall is not deep enough. An undermount makes matters worse for the drain issue.

I’ll have to do some carfull checking.

I am also concerned that an undermount will limit faucet choices since the counter top has to be pre-drilled. One hole, two, three? With a drop in, you just get a new sink that is set up for the type of faucet you want.

Why does the countertop need to be pre-drilled? Can’t the installer drill the hole when he’s ready to install the faucet?

I agree with this, although I don’t use the dishwasher much since I’m only cooking for two.

I installed this Blanco stainless sink. It’s great being able to wash big roasting pans and lasagna pans without having to carefully maneuver various parts of the pan into the sink, with half of it sticking up in the air as you wash it.

There were two challenges after installing this sink. (1) adding a disposal underneath made the waste connection too low to connect to the waste pipe in the wall. I had to fashion a special plumbing trap that was more U shaped than the traditional J shape in order to make the connection. (2) getting up behind the sink was very challenging because of how low it hangs down and how little maneuvering room there is behind the sink bowl.

I may be wrong. But for high end stuff like Granite, I think the sink hole is cut and finnished at the factory. I assumed the same would be true for the hole for the faucet.

Take a look at the composite sinks - Silgranite is one type. Its a mixture of 80% granite and 20% epoxy or something like that. It looks kind of like granite, comes in a few different colors (ours is called Anthracite), it very tough, cleans up easily. There’s a TON of info on the forum linked below. The sink cut out is done at the fabricators with the faucet/soap dispenser holes done in the home. Sink reveals are a matter of personal taste.

Cooking types will enjoy answering this in Cafe Society.

Ellen Cherry
IMHO Moderator

I’ll take a look at that. We are looking at a composite countertop. maybe ECO by Consentino. We where thinking about Corian, but have heard some bad things about it (staining mostly).

I’m really surprised at all the stainless recommendations. In my search for a (recently renovated) house rental for myself and roommates and in accompanying my parents house hunting I have yet to see a single stainless sink in a modern kitchen. Actually we did see one and the whole kitchen was stainless. Everything else is porcelain and the nicer stuff has “farm sinks”. YMMV of course. Haven’t seen a single double sink, either.

Corian is murder for anyone who cooks ethnic foods that can stain, like Indian.

We where thinking about a single sink because we dont’ hand wash dishes. That’s what everyone seems to recommend. But we have deceided against it.

When I cook, I like to pile up whatever pans are done in one sink and have the other sink free for whatever. I can still use the one sink for washing as I have time while I’m cooking too. True, it’s not as good for soaking big stuff, but I like the double sinks.

Sounds like the doubles make sense for you then. Few people actually cook from scratch these days, so perhaps that’s contributed to the rise in single bowl sinks.

I prefer drop in sinks. I bought a double bowl, deep sink. That’s a lot of weight. Especially with a 3/4 horse disposal hanging off it.

I recall an undermount sink in an apartment that pulled loose twice. The landlord sent the plumber to fix it.