Buying a new kitchen sink, need advice...

Stainz and I need to buy a new kitchen sink for our new kitchen. Our delima is our due to the design of our kitchen our sink cabinet is only 30 inches wide.

So our choices for sinks are a standard 31.25" double stainless steal sink or a 27.25" sink and a half. With the double sink the installer would have to cut the the sides of the sink cabinet (there are filler strips on either side) to make enough room for the double sink.

A sink and a half would drop right in.

Stainz and I were wondering if anybody on the board has bought a sink and a half and regretted it? We have a dishwasher, but we still wash our Henkle knives and Lagostina pots by hand.

MtM

My Wife and I bought a big round ceramic sink for a bathroom remodel. It’s sorta ‘art’ and we really like it.

I had to trim the front filler strip to make it fit. We’ve had no problems.

However, a kitchen sink will have clamps underneath it to pull it down onto the counter top. I think there are two front and back, and maybe only one each on the sides.

Triming the fillers to get the sink in may prevent the installation of these clamps on the sides. This could mean that gunk/water could seap under the edges of the sides of the sink and make it harder to clean around it.

But (disclaimers are us) If the sink is calked in, this really may not matter.

Just a thought.

We have a great big double sink at home in the kitchen which didn’t fit coz some dumb builder mucked up the measurements AFTER we had told him to check them coz they weren’t right… anyway, to cut a long and irritating story short, we trimmed it and had to re-tile half the wall under the window 6 months later (and continually every year now) because water kept leaking everywhere and wearing away parts of grout and wall, which is currently a problem which we have yet to find somebody who can fix it. Personally, I would advise the sink and a half because having to spend tons on tiles really gets annoying after a while. If you already have a dishwasher then you only really need the 1and1/2 to do the stuff that can’t go in the washer, which wouldn’t be tons of plates etc., just the small things.

We’re not super-worried about leaking, or it fitting, or anything like that. We’re getting new cabinets and a new countertop, and we have already checked that it will work out perfectly with the faucets that we like.

Mainly we don’t want to be grumbling 3 months from now “geez, this sink and a half is useless” … OR … “I wish we had a few more inches of counterspace, why didn’t we go with the sink and a half” … so we’re hoping to learn from Dopers’ experience! :slight_smile:

S.

When I redid the kitchen in my previous home, the same conflict existed-30" sink base cabinet, and desire for a double bowl. A little filet-o-cabinet later, the sink fit right in and everything was peachy. :smiley:

I have fallen in love with a single bowl sink (very large and deep) with a small corner shallower garbage disposal area. (I’m not sure if SD rules allow me to give the mfg. and model names.) In our ultra-tiny kitchen it makes great sense. I also love the idea that the one extra large bowl should make washing frying pans and large pots a breeze.

Note the ‘should make’, though - we’ve bought the sink, but the kitchen remodel won’t happen til later this year, so this is merely speculation (and finger-crossing!) on our part.

Cuda

I lived very happily in a house with a full sink and a half for the garbage disposal - when washing filled both sinks up, used 1 with soap and the other for rinsing. Works really well for breakfast dishes, pots/knives by hand, and then used the dishwasher for larger loads.

We’ve got an oversized single sink and we’re cool with it. Even when doing dishes by hand occasionally.

How big is the larger side of the sink-and-a-half? You really need something, somehow, that is big enough to wash things like the roasting pan at Thanksgiving. Even a standard 9x13 inch Pyrex pan won’t fit in a standard double-sink where the sides are equal, something that has driven me crazy since the day we moved into our current house. If the sink-and-a-half has the larger side which is roughly equal to an equal-sided double sink - i.e. too small for the roasting pan -that’s a definite drawback. We have to stand anything larger than an 8x8 pan on end and use the spray attachment (with resulting mess) to clean it.

I’d be leery of anything requiring the installer to cut the sides of the cabinet, but I freely admit I know nothing about it and it might work out OK. It still wouldn’t be my first choice.

What about a single large sink? You should be able to find one that would fit nicely into the 30-inch-wide cabinet. It’s useful for washing larger things. It’s not as useful when you want to, say, wash in one side then put things in the other side for rinsing; only you know whether that’s likely to be a problem.

Well the sink and a half we are looking at, the large side is 14.5" wide and the small side is 10.5" wide. The double sink would be 2 14.5" basins.

We currently have a double sink (14.5") and we don’t have too many dishes (that we use on a regular basis) that don’t fit into it.

The sink and a half seems more “stylish” and “cutting edge”. I just don’t want us to either say “Why the hell did we get this useless sink and a half?” or “Why didn’t we get the sink and a half?”.

So we’re just asking if anyone regrets buying a sink and a half.

MtM

I went through this a few years back. My conclusion was that you should buy the biggest darn sink that can fit in the cabinet. And if it doesn’t fit, break out the jigsaw. I ended up with a Kindred two bowl sink, one (I think) 17" and one 10". Total width is 31 1/2". So maybe you’d call it a sink and a half. I did have less than the required 33" cabinet, but I don’t think any surgery was required to make it fit.

I really like having the larger sink, but then, I’m the type who occasionally leaves stuff in the sink for a while, so the extra real estate helps.

My folks have a sink and a half. Having watched how they use it, I’ve concluded that for me, the only real use for the half sink would be to get a glass of water while the other part is stacked full of dirty dishes. Their half sink isn’t even big enough set a pan in, if you needed to fill a pan with water. Maybe if you used the garbage disposal a lot, it would be useful.

Also consider the depth. We were looking at a sink-and-a-half that had a squarish smaller section. The faucet holes were behind this part. The larger part went all the way to the back edge of the sink - more than enough to lay a 9x13 pan into, but the depth of the large part was only 7.5" and the smaller section was even shallower.

There’s no way my 16-quart stockpot would fit into this, so we’re still looking. For now, we’ll stick with the large single bowl we have now, even if it is !@%& white enamel that stains if you even think bad thoughts about it.

Sink-and-a-half owner here. Damned superb sink. We did a complete remodel 2 years ago, and dropped one in (plastic sink, enamel coated, VERY light and easy to put in, and cheaper) and haven’t had a problem since. We went to an island-type situation with the counter, so the sink-and-a-half gave us much more counter space, plus, someplace good to toss the garbage when cooking (there’s a disposal in the 1/2 part). No matter what you do though, caulk, caulk, caulk.

A question for the people who have a half sink: What exactly is a half sink good for?
I like a double sink, but our newly remodeled kitchen has a large (28"x16"x8" deep) stainless single sink. I’m getting to like it, especially for washing large pots, pans, and especially cutting boards. The gooseneck faucet is nice too. We have a a 36" sink base, but it would fit in a 30" base without trimming the side of the cabinets, although the countertop would have to be cut out over the adjacent cabinets and the sink holding screws accessed through there. I don’t think it would be difficult to do though. But my opinion is that a large single bowl sink is really nice, though it does take getting used to if you are used to two bowls. It helps to have a room for a drying rack next to the sink. If we didn’t have that, then I’d probably go for two bowls.

Are you really limited to the two choices you listed? There are a lot of sinks out there.

I suggest you get a nice ceramic sink instead of stainless steel. As I once heard a decorator say, “Stainless steel is the new avacodo green.” In a few years, when the stainless craze is over, your sink will make your whole new kitchen look dated.

(I also think it’s damn ugly, myself.)

I have to think that the decorator was talking more about the stainless steel fridges and stoves. Stainless sinks have been around forever and aren’t particularly faddish.