Andor (starting September 21, 2022)

Loving the show so far. I understand why some may find it slow, but I like the slow parts just as much as the rest – I’ve been a fan of the SW universe since I saw ROTJ in the theater in 1983 (was too young for the first two), and just hanging out in the universe without gigantic stakes is what I’ve been hoping for, and why I loved the Mandalorian’s first season. I like seeing the nitty-gritty of how people survive in SW.

Like it a lot. Sure it is a slow build but the first three episodes don’t try and overreach themselves and I think we have a sensible number of characters that have been given a detailed enough introduction and been left with that most precious of feelings… “OK, what happen now?” because I’m interested to know.

If it weren’t for the Aurebesh signs and a brief mention of the Empire, if I didn’t know this was Star Wars I wouldn’t know it was Star Wars. It’s like they went out of their way to avoid any fan service.

I think that’s a good thing. Assume we know nothing and just tell a good story.

Agree completely that it is a good thing.

This clearly is a different sort of Star Wars show than both other television or cinematic offerings to date. Mostly SW has been fare that a parent could comfortably watch with the kids; this one is aimed as a more serious adult show.

To me the pace is perfect. They’ve established multiple interesting well formed complicated characters, set them in motion, and have us already puzzling over their motivations and histories.

About Kenari - my working understanding is that the accident that left only these kids there was no accident but something done for corporate profits interest, made to look like an accident. Kid Andor wasn’t trying to destroy the ship out of anger of the leader girl getting shot but over the destruction of everything else. For facts on the ground for the people whoever is nominally in charge of the central government is pretty immaterial: the corporations’ heels are grinding them either way, supported by local enforcement arms of whoever is nominally “in charge”.

Andor right now wants to find his sister and cares about a few people. He has contempt for the corporations and the arrogance of those in charge who have no problem if profit requires having many of the little people die. His becoming a person committed to a cause will happen along the way.

I am also finding Syril wonderfully interesting. One can easily imagine a different show that presents him as a flawed hero, eager, dedicated to justice, willing to risk his career to not allow a murderer escape, but naive and awkward. His horror that several men have died because of his unauthorized misadventure was well shown. I’m guessing he’ll double down though.

I love that aliens and scenery FX are clearly serving the story and not just showcased for their own wow or aw cute factor.

He reminded me of someone, and I finally figured out who: Randy Disher on Monk. The appearance and bungling if not the earnestness (which is pure Barney Fiffe).

Yes and I find it very much in line with the tone of “Rogue One” in general.
Which is good, It’d be jarring for Andor to appear to inhabit a different world in this series.

I think it also helps massively that Diego Luna is a fascinating leading man.

I don’t know that particular reference but he reminded me of someone as well. I was put in mind of Lieutenant Gorman in “Aliens”, incompetent and initially timid but when push comes to shove, not as weak or cowardly as we think.
I like his chubby little enthusiastic Scottish psycho sargeant as well. More of him please. That is a double act worth pursuing.

What’s different about ANDOR (the show)? No comedy (so far). And I like it.

BTW, isn’t it interesting that the big boss got the story exactly right? Couple of corrupt assholes decided to shake down the wrong person and had it coming, better to just forget about it? He is not going to be happy when he gets back from the conference and finds out that Space Barney has locked up all of Space Mayberry (metaphorically speaking).

There was bit of comedy with the poor mark trying to shake down Cassian for what he owes with the hulking alien who says he’s just supposed to stand there.

Syrill is certainty ambitious/over his head, but it wasn’t the vandalism of a binary load lifter, it is (in his mind at least) two murders.
So how did the populace coordinate stopping the banging? It started organically – building up gradually, but it stooped almost all at once.
With all the droids and such they still have a guy banging on some metal? I guess Big Ben still chimes.
(these ARE NOT serious complaints just things I find interesting)

Brian

I immediately got a Gorman vibe from Syril, too. However, as depicted in Aliens, I didn’t get the impression that Gorman was incompetent. He was just out ahead of his training. The mission, as originally conceived, would have been a good experience for him, but when the mission went sideways, he lacked the experience to respond effectively.

Syril, on the other hand, was pompous and augmented his uniform with red piping to make it fancier. His boss thought he was a joke.

I did think that the uniform modification was a nice little detail that told you a huge amount about him without hitting you on the head with it.

I got the feeling that was a ritual thing. Or maybe a union job.

Just about every job in the Star Wars universe could be done by droids. As I have argued before, the combination of AI, FTL, and antigravity+artificial gravity should result in a post-scarcity setting. Drop an automated droid factory in a system’s Oort cloud and sit back and wait for all the material needs worlds have to be filled by the exaton. Palatial luxary for everyone. None of the moisture farmer/meat cutter/shipbreaker crap.

The entire interview with the senior inspector at the outset gave me Arnold Rimmer vibes. Except that Rimmer would never have ever gotten into actual authority, and Red Dwarf wasn’t grimdark the way Andor is.

I get a slight Boimler vibe myself, if Boimler worked in the Empire instead of Star Fleet.

Ha! yes, perfect. There is more than a little Rimmer in him. Let’s watch out for him quoting space directive 144 subsection c.

Well put, Han Solo should be a bit more of a smuggler and a scoundrel, but overall Andor would fit a Solo origin story well.