Angel and the Ape

I was bored and looking up online info on comic book series I remember from years gone by. Lesser known non-superhero titles like Kamandi, Sugar and Spike, and The Inferior Five. And one of the titles I looked up was Angel and the Ape.

Now I can remember reading this when I was a kid. And I remember the Phil Foglio revival miniseries in the nineties. So I sort of assumed the title had a little bit of a run.

But according to wikipedia, there were only fifteen issues in total. The original series back in 1969 only lasted for seven issues. There was the four-issue Foglio mini-series in 1991 and a four-issue Howard Chaykin mini-series in 2001 (which I had missed).

Very mundane and pointless I guess, but I’m amazed that a comic book series that I remembered from my childhood in reality apparently barely existed.

I’ve never seen a copy of Angel & the Ape–it was always just something I occasionally saw advertised at the bottom of the story in my comics in the '60s. But I loved the Inferior Five–which was even shorter-lived that Angel & the Ape–and I gather that the 2001 Angel miniseries makes a connection between Angel and Dumb Bunny.

Angel and Dumb Bunny being sisters comes from Foglio’s mini, not the 2001 one. (Howard Chaykin? HOWARD CHAYKIN? Whose bright idea was it to give HIM Angel and the Ape? He’s good in his area…A&A…is not his area.)

Loved Foglio’s A&A.

I picked up the very first issue of Angel and the Ape (although I missed its Showcase premiere). It was kinda interesting, especially the way they portrayed Sam’s boss – Stan Bragg, who gets credit on everything, so he’s clearly a parody of Marvel’s Stan Lee.

Unfortunately, like most of DC’s attempts at humor, there wasn’t much else. I stopped buying after a few issues. Phil Foglio’s four-issue run was delightful precisely because it was funny. And also because it fit seamlessly into the DC continuity, and it had characterization and even a little depth. And it succeeded in making the Inferior Five funny, too – a herculean task.

As for the shortness of the run, that doesn’t surprise me. Lots of comics have short runs. The original Silver Surfer only ran 18 issues.

And, despite its iconic status, and how large it seems to loom in everyone’s memory, I think the Honeymooners only ran for less than two years in the early 1950s.

There was an A&A short in the DC '09 Holiday Special. Short, but present. I think they’ve wandered in and out of a few other places. Batman: The Brave And The Bold (comic book) had an appearance as well.

There were something like 39 official episodes that ran for about a year, but there were many skits about the same characters both before and after the show was on the air in all of Gleason’s variety shows.

I loved Foglio’s take on Angel and the Ape, mostly because of the way he connected it all to the DC Universe. But it was never a great comic success and Foglio was smart to keep it to four issues.

I think the company that did Sugar & Spike and Angel & The Ape also had another comic about a little boy with a giant monster friend that he thought was a prehistoric dog (it looked nothing like a dog). Also, the ghost of Napolean lived in a grandfather clock. What was that title?

Yup. I know – watched 'em as a kid. But that’s not what people talk about or remember about “The Honeymooners” – they’re talking about the black and white show that ran in syndication. It boggles my mind to realize that there were far fewer of these than there were of the perpetual I Love Lucy shows.

Stanley and his Monster. Sadly, Kevin Smith tied them into Green Arrow continuity, and not in a good way.

Phil Foglio did a Stanley and his Monster short run, too. But, despite the presence of a sexy lady demon, some sophisticated humor, and the Heterodyne Boys, I didn’t much care for it.

Short runs?

I still have all four original issues of Prez.

Didn’t he reappear briefly in DC continuity after they impeached Lex Luthor? Talk about reusing obscure characters.

It was weird when they did the Prez/Sandman crossover.