On Monday, I went to the hospital having contractions every 7min…I was barely 35 weeks pregnant. (I wrote a thread about it here.) The contractions weren’t regular, the cervix was very soft but not dilated or effaced, and so we chalked it up to false labor and let it be.
Tuesday-Wednesday I felt…odd. No appetite, queasy-ish, overall feeling like Something Was Changing. Thursday was my OB appointment, and I was 1cm dilated and 50% effaced–not too bad, but interesting as I was at 0cm and 0% just two days before. I felt odd then–crampy, light headed, and just off, so he gave me a prescription for terbutaline. I took one and it gave me the shakes, but seemed to calm the contractions I started having.
Then yesterday, I started having regular, painful (though not too bad) contractions from first thing in the morning. They were 6min apart at first, 5min apart at lunch, and 4min apart by the time hubby took me to the hospital. (Oh, and the terbutaline? I, erm…couldn’t find the bottle. Derrrrr.)
Now, I was 3cm dilated, having regular contractions, and 60-70% effaced. Doh. Sucky thing is, they have my due date wrong by just two days–it’s January 2, not January 4. So while I say I’m 35 weeks 6 days, they say, “Gee, you’re only 35 and 4/7 weeks.” The OB on call says this is too soon, despite my dilation, despite the effacement, despite the contractions, and most notably, despite the fact that in my family we make 'em big and we make 'em fast. My sisters delivered an 8lbs 10oz boy and 7lb 12oz girl at 37 weeks, I had a 7lb 11oz boy at 37 weeks, and my sisters and I were all 8lb babies born just shy of our due dates–and all of these babies were fine. My baby is about 7lbs now–right in keeping with the family tradition. (My OB’s words when he saw the measurement estimatino on Thursday: “Oh my God, he’s HUGE!”)
When the shot didn’t calm the contractions completely, they gave me 5mg by pill. By the time I was disharged, the contractions had quieted, but I felt like I’d had about 6 shots of espresso. I hate this shit.
The doc wants me to try and hold out for 37 weeks (which by my calendar is a week from today), but again…I have serious doubts, terbutaline or not. I’m going to call my OB on Monday–when by both of our calendars I’m 36 weeks–if I can stop taking the terb and let my body finished what it started.
But–big but–is if baby is born and has lung trouble, he’d have to go to another hospital (mine doesn’t have a NICU) while I recover in my own. NO. FUN. So…we shall see.
Meanwhile, I’ll just lie around here and vibrate.