Another day, another woman teacher arrested for having sexual intercourse and maybe oral sex too..

Thirty-one is not “aged”. Aged would be my 10th grade Latin teacher: gray hair in a bun, wattles under her chin, shapeless saggy body in her perennial polka dot dress, sensible flat shoes, and bifocals.

Wait. So I said it was a crime, **Gateway **understands it was a criminal act, but wants to know why I ‘feel’ it’s a crime?

If he was 18, how can this possibly be a crime?

First degree: parents and children. Second degree, grand parents and grandchildren; brothers and sisters. Third degree, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, great grandparents, grand grand children.

The teacher/student rules usually stop at graduation, not at age 18. I don’t believe the teacher actually has to teach the student in question. I know that it applies to other school personnel, even those who wouldn’t really have any leverage to manipulate the student.

It happened with a school nurse around here. The guy was 18, actually bragged about it to his friends. His parents didn’t even think it was anything. But there were mandatory reporters involved or something.

The only thing that bothered me about it was that it was an affair.

First cousins aren’t included in that last category? I thought most states had problems with that.

He’s 18 now. But the way the PA law reads it does not appear to have an age restriction. Kind of how our institutional abuse statute reads. For instance it is illegal for a prison guard to have sex with an inmate regardless of age. But I have no knowledge of the interpretations of Pennsylvania law. It’s probably something that has been ruled on in court at sometime.

That sounds so hot!

Boom chicka bow wow!

TSS, a resident of California, a first cousin’s state.

1st cousins are 2nd degree. I didn’t list every possible family relationship.

Prison guards are somewhat different from teachers, it seems to me. one can legally beat the **** out of you for breaking the rules, the other can just flunk you.

I don’t think teachers should date their students, but as long as everyone involved is over 18, I don’t think it should be a crime (they might consider firing the teacher, though). Schools aren’t prisons, and the potential for coercion is totally different.

I’d hit it. Er, “her.” And “hit on,” not “strike.” It’s so hard to keep up with the cant of the urban teen, circa 2005!

“During an interview, the high-schooler admitted to having a sexual relationship with the teacher, saying they’d kissed and held hands.”

Can I hear an “Awwwwww?” And may I ask for his definition of sexual intercourse? Then there are:

“…including one encounter that took place in a classroom as recent as two weeks ago.” It’s “recently.” That’s how you make an adjective an adverb.

“Both devices contained racy photos as well as messages that discussed their hook-ups and plans for after school meetings.” It’s “after-school.” Attributive compound modifiers are hyphenated.

“Nesbit’s lawyer said 'she made…” Nope. Need that comma before the quote.

“…her personal issues that lead to…” Lead is a metal. What the lawyer said was “led.”

Had this article appeared in some podunk weekly-shopper I’d be more forgiving, but this was a bylined story in America’s Paper of Record, the New York Daily News. Perhaps the writer, Philip Caulfield, could hire a retired English teacher as a tutor. I believe Emily Nesbit has some free time.

The relevant issue here be “teacher who extorts” rather than “teacher who has power over her students to get sex from them.” Why not allow teacher-student sex, but once it turns into extortion then it’s illegal?

Besides, a teacher can use the grades as leverage for anything. Should it be illegal for a student to not financially help a teacher out because she will try to leverage more money by threatening to give him a bad grade? It’s not the same thing, but it’s the same principle.

I lol’d at the OP’s comment regarding an “aged snatch”. 31 isnt that agged, I’m 25, and while I admit I perfer women 21-25, I have dated some older cougars, and I can honestly say, it’s not gross. HAHA

As far as the teacher goes, give her a freakin break. I seriously doubt the kid considers himself a victim, nor is he gonna be traumatized by this event. Hell, he has probably done bragged to 90% of the school… lol.

[I’d] hit [it] and hit on have very different connotations.

So he’s already in an adult relationship where the sex dwindles to 2 weeks, aww!

Newspapers (and the rest of the media) don’t write for accuracy but for speed and to beat their competitors to the story. Also when it’s in press, you don’t know if it’s the writer or the editors’ fault. Nice sarcasm (unless I’ve been anti-wooshed?). Would it help accuracy if I also saw this in the always classy Daily Mail? It’s British, so it must be serious and accurate.

How would they know? It’s okay if the teacher says “my grading judgment wasn’t affected by the shtupping.” That and I’m certain that most schools/colleges lay out what you can and can’t do. Sleeping with students is frowned on; sleeping with current students has real consequences.

Again, 31 year olds are fucking gross.

-tlh, 31 in less than 2 months, SO slightly less than a year older.

But how would they know if this was happening if sex was going on and the whole thing was not allowed? Plus what about the “money extortion” example I presented, should students never help out their teachers financially?

I am not a detective, but it seems likely that there are ways of finding out if extortion is happening

What?? No, prison guards cannot legally beat any asterisks out of you for breaking rules.

And in some states there is still corporal punishment in schools.

My district prohibits me from accepting any gift worth more than $50 from a student. I believe that’s pretty common.

I’ve had my Mrs Robinson and at the time I felt unclean, like a real jerk. Now looking back, she was the best gal I ever hooked up with.

Eh, well I guess this isn’t an all important issue for me. But point taken. I am not really familiar with ‘teacher rules’ and all that… it just seems to me that the important factor is to not let the teachers extort the students. If that can’t be kept in check with allowing the teachers to freely fuck students or the students giving charity, than maybe it’s best that its not allowed even if they should be allowed to do so otherwise. I concede, although I can’t say for sure that I am wrong (this isn’t my area of expertise after all). Thanks for the responses.

I didn’t use the prison guard thing as a direct analogy. I simply was using it as an example of another law that I am familiar with in which the sexual relationship between two adults could be illegal due to their roles.

In NJ the sexual assault statute does not make it illegal for a teacher to have sex with their high school student as long as all contact happened after age 18. However they can and have been charged with Official Misconduct. Right now there is conflicting case law on that and there currently is a case on appeal that may clear the issue up. The PA statute reads like it does not matter what the age is but I am no expert on PA law. I guarantee that teachers in PA are aware of the law.

Sex through extortion is rape, regardless of age. The issue here is an older person preying on a younger person. My state has deemed that a 16 year old is mature enough to make that decision on their own. However, a teacher (or anyone else in a position of authority) has more influence and opportunity granted by their position and access to manipulate an immature juvenile. So here there is additional protection for those under 18 in high school. I don’t think a law restricting teachers from using their students as a dating pool is too onerous. Somehow I don’t think you’ll see it that way.