Another day, another woman teacher arrested for having sexual intercourse and maybe oral sex too..

Note too that giving one student an unearned A can have negative consequences for others in the same class. (I’m not saying the young man isn’t the victim of a crime, just that he’s not necessarily the only victim of wrongdoing here).

The kid’s 18, which is over the age of consent anywhere, of course. And the article doesn’t even suggest that this started before he was 18, let alone before 16.

She should absolutely and positively lose her teaching position for having had sex with a student. But beyond that, I don’t see where PA needs a special law meting out additional **criminal **penalties for teacher-student sex.

If an adult has sex with someone under the age of consent, that is of course statutory rape (not applicable here, but thinking in general). But if a teacher has sex with a student over the age of consent, wouldn’t sexual harassment laws suffice if the student felt victimized? And if the student didn’t, then ISTM that administrative punishment - loss of job - should suffice.

Loss of job and loss of career, too. She’ll never teach again. What would prison accomplish?

I have to say that the last line of the article amuses me. Her lawyer says she intends to take full responsibility, and tackle the personal issues that caused her to engage in the “alleged” conduct.

Gotta say, this link to another story in the OP’s link is just as sweet:

And the teacher was one of the participants in the homemade sex tape she accidentally showed to her middle school class. Oopsy!

Well, with his inexperience, and if he’s as bad at sex as I was back then, I could see that it would only be worth $20.

This is exactly what happened to the school nurse I mentioned. For once, the disparity of how the sexes are treated seemed to make things work out the way I would prefer. I don’t think she even got a fine or community service. She was a bit of a town pariah, but she moved away, and seems to be happy.

I don’t even think she got a divorce, though it has been a while since I talked to her.

‘Attracted to a teenager’ covers a lot of ground. Being attracted to a 13-14 year old is pretty ****ed up. Being attracted to an 18-19 year old (and the guy in this case was 18) is normal. I’m sure plenty of emotionally sound women in their 30s would love to date an 18-year old, and I doubt it generally does either of them any harm.

They probably should wait until graduation, though. Mixing work and relationships is usually a bad idea.

The law does seem to allow her to date 18 year olds, but just says she has to go hang around the playground of some school other than the one she works at in order to find one.

The only explicit acts I could find in the article you cited were kissing and holding hands. Maybe I’m doing it wrong, but that doesn’t sound like anal sex to me.

I don’t think reporters have editors or rewrite men anymore.

I dunno. While they both are steadfast in their reporting of naughty teachers, the Daily News has provided us with regular updates on Joey Buttafuoco and alerted us whenever an attractive blonde has gone missing. What does the Daily Mail do for us?

Jeez, people are making jokes all over the place, but it’s somehow more wrong if it had been a male teacher and female student? This is just like that South Park episode in which (toddler) Ike got molested by his attractive female teacher.

Even if the guy doesn’t consider himself a victim, we can at least all agree that it’s a conflict of interest, right?

Point of Correction:

First cousins are related in the fourth degree. Jersey’s one of 40+ states where simple sex between two consenting-age first cousins is no offense at all (and in a considerable number of states, cousin marriage is allowed just fine - that’s a separate legal matter). I looked up the text of the NJ Criminal Code section (2C:14-2) and indeed it does look like in NJ you may also bang your consenting adult >18 niece without fear. (*)

OTOH from that same text if the person is “on probation or parole, or is detained in a hospital, prison or other institution and the actor has supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim by virtue of the actor’s legal, professional or occupational status” then there’s no **AoC, they’re absolutely off limits to the correctional/parole officers and staff.
(*Wait… TO the third degree…? Not IN the third degree…?! But… whoa… wha… :eek::eek::eek: [or else :cool: but in a very twisted way…])

There is no incest statute in New Jersey at all. For any familial relationship. As long as both are adults.

She’s hot. Would smash.

If aunts/uncles are third degree, how on earth are first cousins second degree?

I don’t think that’s necessarily the case, A hot teacher would have lots of guys waiting in line to have sex with her. I remember being in high school, there was a French teacher that any of us would have loved to had some private time with. She was probably about 30, but gorgeous with a great body. And if we did actually get with her it would have been like winning the lottery.

Not that I condone the behavior. Teachers should stay away from students, period.

Who determines the monetary equivalent of a teacher’s sexual services? Perhaps this particular teacher has a discount for agedness.

Aunts and nephews (or uncles and nieces, etc.) have a ‘relatedness coefficient’ of about 25%, first cousins are only 12.5%. (You have a relatedness coefficient approximately 50% with your parent or with your full sibling).

Right, but that’s why *she wouldn’t have had sex with you. * Someone doesn’t risk losing their job, their reputation, possibly their freedom out of a vague desire to scratch an itch. Someone who would actually foster and develop such a relationship–knowing all they risk–is someone who is emotionally unhealthy. Someone not looking for sex, but for power, for worship, for drama. Someone that is trying to use an unequal relationship to fill some crazy overpowering emotional need of their own.

Lots of people end up in a roller-coaster relationship with a emotionally manipulative person–it’s often traumatic, but also sometimes illuminating. However, when the emotionally manipulative person is in a position of power over you, is vastly more experienced at manipulating people (and I tell you, teachers are master manipulators), has unique access to your life (after all, you can’t stop seeing them, and they know all kinds of things about you), it’s much much harder to extract yourself, or even understand what is happening to you.

Think of the most emotionally toxic person you’ve ever known–the one that makes you shake your head and sigh. Imagine how that person could fuck up the most emotionally sensitive of boys if they were their teacher–because that sort of relationship is what is much more likely to develop than any hot chick looking for an emotionally meaningless quickie.