Another List Assist Please

For some reason my list functions will not turn off.

I seem to recall that you are supposed to use this code:

[/list**]** (please disregard bolding)

Yet is does not seem to work. I will demonstrate.

[list=A]
[li]aaa[/li][li]bbb[/li][li]ccc[/li][li]ddd[/li][/list]
[ol]
[li]aaa[/li][li]bbb[/li][li]ccc[/li][li]ddd[/li][/ol]
[list=a]
[li]aaa[/li][li]bbb[/li][li]ccc[/li][li]ddd[/li][/list]

With the list function turned off this paragraph should not be indented and yet it is. What gives? (please use the quote function to review my coding.)

As you specify a TYPE of list in your coding, you turn it on, you turn it off.

As so:

{list=A} to turn it on.

{/list=A}to turn it off.

(Straight instead of curly brackets, of course.)

Simply going {/list} won’t cancel the previous command.

your humble TubaDiva

Many thanks you wondeful woman you!

[list=a][li]A Midsummer-Night’s Dream[/li][li]Hamlet, Prince of Denmark[/li][li]King Lear[/li][/list=a]

[list=a][li]A Midsummer-Night’s Dream[/li][li]Hamlet, Prince of Denmark[/li][li]King Lear[/li][/list]

[list][li]A Midsummer-Night’s Dream[/li][li]Hamlet, Prince of Denmark[/li][li]King Lear[/li][/list=a]

This is another difference between Netscape and Internet Explorer. Your code looked fine in Netscape 4.74. However, IE5.0 requires the [/list=a] or [/list=1] syntax, but it doesn’t care which you use. You can start a list with [list=a] and close it with [/list=1].

In IE5.0, [/list=a] or [/list=1] will close either ordered list ( [**list=a] or [**list=1] ), but won’t close an unordered list ( [**list] ) and vice versa.

I know this is probably too much information, but the way IE closes lists leads to some kinda unusual things. Like, if you start a list with [**list=a] followed by a 2nd list started with [list], as such:
[list=a][list=a][li]A stuff[/li][li]B stuff[/li][ul][list][li]stuff[/li][li]stuff[/ul][/list=a]you can close both at the same time with [/list=a] or you can close them one at a time by using [/list] followed by [
/list=a]. This may seem logical.[/li]
However, if the 2nd list is started with [**list=1], as such:
[list=a][**list=a][li]A stuff[/li][li]B stuff[/li][list=1][list=1][li]1 stuff[/li][li]2 stuff[/list=1][/list=a]you can’t close both lists by using [/list=a]. It only closes the 2nd list.[/li]
Hope this didn’t totally confuse you. If you do as TubaDiva said, both Netscape and IE will cooperate.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, I didn’t know that. Learn something new every day if you’re not careful! :slight_smile:

I just find it easier to be consistent, so turn 'em on and off the same way. No muss, no fuss.

your humble TubaDiva
Administrator
Member of the belt-and-suspenders-club