Another Simpsons question - The Australian episode.

the scene with the machine that rotates the toilet water in the proper direction was laugh out loud funny. I love that episode.

I’d have gone with *yobbo *or feral. :slight_smile:

Can’t fool me, that’s Blank Reg from Big Time TV.
And I’m sure there’s been some time in each of our lives when we’ve said: “I’m impressed you were able to write so legibly on your own butt!”

I always took that episode to be a dig on Americans and their silly misconceptions about Australia, for example how one of the buildings says Austria on it with a carat over it and the letters “al”.

And I agree with the other poster that the scene with Homer singing, with a tear in his eye, God Bless America as the toilet flushes the “right, American” way is one of the top ten all-time Simpsons moments.

How can you not love an episode where Bart calls “Disputed Zone”.

This ep is where I learned about the existence of Burkina Faso.

Also, Rand McNally.

Don’t forget Uruguay.

What?! Take that back!

The episode contains an odd contradiction for the sake of making two jokes about Ozzies: when the kid rides off to the neighbor’s to check the direction of the toilet water, the round trip takes him six hours. Later on, his father just leans out the window to complain to his “Member of Parliament”. Funny episode overall, though, whillikers.

Interesting point, Bryan. Little Tobias may not be the brightest kookaburra in the Outback.

Seriously.

The only things I remember laughing at during that entire episode was the Knifey-Spoony game, the B E E R - C O F F E E exchange and Bart and Homer trying out the Kangaroo pouches for their getaway.

It’s definately not in the top 10 for me, I’d say not even top 50.

But if that’s all it takes, why doesn’t all of Australia sound like Humphrey Bogart? :wink:

You mean we don’t? So that’s why my “Here’s looking at you, kid” line doesn’t work :smack:

I’ve been looking for a screenshot of the relevant character as I don’t have a copy of that particular episode. Can’t find anything helpful. Anyone seen one that might make recognising the reference easier?

I don’t know that the guy with the giant boot was supposed to exactly look like anyone in particular. He just looks like one of the generic weird Aussies that show up in the background in movies like Mad Max or Crocodile Dundee or that horrible bit with Yahoo Serious. I do recall thinking as a kid raised in the 1980’s that Australia was some weird dusty outback land full of dirty faced weird guys with sleeveless shirts who all drove jeeps and trucks with the tops sawed off and such.

Absolutely.

(Although I’m fairly certain he actually sings part of My Country Tis of Thee. Namely, “Sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.”)

Or Weird Science, even. I agree with this – scary biker-looking Australian dudes were sort of ubiquitous in movies of the mid-80’s whenever you needed a stock thug character. Why that happened I’ll put down to Mad Max.

–Cliffy

Or Weird Science, even. I agree with this – scary biker-looking Australian dudes were sort of ubiquitous in movies of the mid-80’s whenever you needed a stock thug character. Why that happened I’ll put down to Mad Max.

–Cliffy