Another thing I do that the internet told me is a New York thing: You're welcome!

I very rarely find myself holding a door open. I’m usually in a hurry, so I’m walking fast. I’m also likely reading texts or listening to a podcast. I’m through the door and onto bigger and better things without noticing if anyone is approaching behind me.

Do you door-holders scan your wake as you go through a door?

Well, it wasn’t her wallet so why should she thank you? I mean, really, you’re just adding to her duties for the day.

LOL. I’m sure that’s the way she sees it.

I don’t want to speak for anyone else, but I usually don’t hear either a sincere “Thank you” or a sarcastic " You’re welcome" when someone merely keeps the door from slamming in the face of someone who is directly behind them. The issue usually comes up in slightly different situations where the door holder ends up passing through the door *after *the other person or people

1. Person A is on one side of the door - let’s say outside the store. Person A pulls the door open and person B exits the store before Person A enters. There’s a variation of this where multiple people exit the store while A is holding the door unless A pushes his or her way through them.

2. Person A pulls the door open but person B ( who was behind A ) pushes past A to go through first. Same thing with multiple people sometimes happens.

I’m waiting for Ambivalid to show up in this thread.

I live in the NYC area, and I do it. And I always say “Thank You” to anyone who does anything for me. Often extending to to “Thank you for the help.”

Not saying Thank You is rude. People should be acknowledged.

Demanding acknowledgement in that way is also rude.

Living in the south I can’t remember the last time I would have had the opportunity to. Everyone is so bloody polite.

So far there are more people not from NY who do it than from NY who do. So not a NY thing at all but a snarky and a bit rude thing. That’s what I thought.

Too late for edit:

Or, it could be there aren’t that many people from NY who took the poll.

The first time I encountered this, it was said to me by a customer service woman in a train station in Amsterdam.
So it certainly transitioned from Amsterdam to New Amsterdam intact.

I voted, “I Do it and I’m from NY” but I grew up in New Jersey and really don’t do it often, but have done it. Born in NYC.

Ha!

Don’t do it, and not from NY. Way to passive aggrieve for my tastes.

Don’t do it, not from NY. I agree that it’s surprisingly passive-aggressive for a New Yorker. Are you from upstate? :wink:

Seriously, I think of NYC dwellers as being very direct. This kind of hinting around is the opposite of what I would expect. The question construction, OTOH, does ring true.

What? You don’t say thank you?!?

Darren Garrison:

No they don’t, unless you have an example not from Moana. In the movie, she says the words “thank you” (though not actually thanking him) before he says “You’re welcome.”

Nm

Only to my kids.

But understand that Melbourne is not a polite as NYC. We don’t normally say “Thank You” for anything.

I concur. I would never do the “you’re welcome” thing described.

The last time I recall someone doing this was when, I imagine, they thought they were holding the door for me. Only problem was that they were also standing right in the doorway. People are weird.

On a related note, a friend of mine, originally from California, told me the other day how much she hates people in Omaha holding doors open for her. She can’t understand it. Everybody’s different.

At least you don’t call your kids bastards.

I guess that would be a little self-defeating.