Another UNIX Make problem

$ mk ce_menu_ascii
cp: ce_menu_ascii: No such file or directory
rm: ce_menu_ascii.o: No such file or directory
rm: ce_menu_ascii: No such file or directory
/users/00p9528/gcc/bin/make -f proc.mk build OBJS=ce_menu_ascii.o EXE=ce_menu_ascii
proc sqlcheck=SEMANTICS userid=rpt/rpt dbms=v7 iname=ce_menu_ascii.pc

Pro*C/C++: Release 2.2.4.0.0 - Production on Tue Feb 13 14:39:31 2001

Copyright © Oracle Corporation 1979, 1996. All rights reserved.

System default option values taken from: /usr/oracle/app/oracle/product/7.3.4/precomp/admin/pcscfg.h

gcc -ansi -D_INTRINSICS -I. -I/usr/oracle/app/oracle/product/7.3.4/precomp/public -c -ggdb ce_menu_ascii.c
make: execvp: gcc: Permission denied
make: *** [ce_menu_ascii.o] Error 127
*** Exit 2
Stop.

Why is it denying permission? It’s not clear from the message which file has the privilege problem.

I should have explained that I’m trying to set up my make environment on a new box. Basically I tried to copy everything over en masse from the production environment and proceed normally, but I get the privilege violation described above.

It could be because your user doesn’t have execute permissions on the gcc program itself. Check the permissions, and if it isn’t world read/executable, see if you’re in the appropriate group. Way back when my ISP was cool and gave out shell accounts for free, they only allowed certain users to run gcc, presumably so you didn’t compile exploits and such. Anyway, it’s probably as simple as asking your system administrator to add you to the `gcc’ group or something.

How did you go about copying the stuff? You might have copied some symlinks that aren’t pointing anywhere useful on the new box. You might have preserved the file user/group ownership by UID, and there’s no such UID on the new machine. Maybe the permissions were just screwy to begin with; for example, gcc might have been mode 0655 and now you’re trying to use it as root.

Look at the output of ls -l on the executables, and post it here if you can’t figure it out.

I ftp’d the whole gnu folder and contents (including many other subfolders) from the production box to the PC network.
Then I copied it to the new box. I used Reflection FTP/Smart Mode to do this. Smart mode, in case you’re unfamiliar with this flavor of FTP, automatically determines whether each file is binary or ascii in format.