Anti-snoring sprays. Do they work?

I’m going camping for a week and want a way to sleep relatively soundly without taking my anti-apnea, CPAP machine along.

Have any of you tried those anti-snoring sprays in the stores? Did they work for you?

Doing a quick google;

The FTC charged the manufacturer and promoter of Snorenz, an anti-snoring mouth spray, with making unsubstantiated claims that the product could reduce loud snoring, daytime sleepiness and other symptoms of sleep apnea. Snorenz was advertised as a dietary supplement containing oils, water and vitamins B6, C and E that supposedly helped lubricate the back of the mouth to reduce the noise of snoring. But according to the FTC, the two companies had insufficient evidence to back up their claims.

July 10, 2003. Fresh from its successful action against the makers of Dr. Harris Original Snore Formula, The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has announced a proposed settlement with Wellquest International, whose infomercials for its anti-snoring spray Dsnore run on late-night TV channels. The defendants will pay $3.2 million in consumer redress and agree to possess scientific substantiation before making certain claims about dietary supplements, foods, drugs, or cosmetics. The order also covers breast enlargement and male virility products marketed the same way.

SnoreStop Extinquisher, Homeopathic Anti-Snoring Oral Spray <- Keyword “Homeopathic”

Overall, my guess would be that unless a lightness of wallet eases your breathing–no, they probably don’t work.

NPR talked about snoring treatments on Science Friday awhile back. They said the same thing about the spray. Link if you’d like to listen.

According to my wife, none of them work.

We thought they were working but then our doctor told us that we were falling under the spell of the placebo effect.

What works better is those Breathe-Eez (sp?) nasal strips. They open up your nasal passages a bit and you’ll snore a bit less. Not an ideal solution, but definitely worth trying.