Ever cured your own snoring?

First off, a teensy tinsy itty bitty rant: It’s not like I can control it! I’m not doing it on purpose! This may come as a huge shock, but when I snore, I am very often unconscious!

Having said that – Have you ever cured your own snoring problem? Did you do it without hooking yourself up to some medieval-looking contraption?

My wife rarely complains now that I’ve lost a bit of weight, and mostly sleep on my sides

Steroid nasal spray made a huge difference. I rarely need it anymore, but apparently I had some inflammation from allergies.

Ditto. I lost 25 pounds and my wife has stopped complaining that I snore.

I’ve been told by previous bed-sharers that rolling me onto my stomach works. Hey, I don’t care what you do to me when I’m sound asleep.

Ditto others on the weight loss.

I am a big guy, a heavy snorer and have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I was prescribed a cpap machine, and as much as I tried, I could not get used to it. I tried every nose piece and mask known to man and I just couldn’t tolerate it.
Not an uncommon problem , so I’ve hear, but very frustrating (not to mention expen$ive) to say the least.

I now use a mouthpiece that a good friend recommended to me that has been a huge help to me.
It pulls your lower jaw forward and helps to keep your airway open.
I bought this appliance as a last ditch effort and it was horrible, at first.
It hurt like hell.
I stuck with it, a few hours a night, till i was accustomed to it.

After 2 weeks of using this mouthpiece I was sleeping 5 hours straight without waking up and was able to go back to sleep for 3 more hours.
I was sleeping better, longer and according to my SO, not snoring and my obstructive sleep apnea was very much improved.
I have been getting better rest and am not nodding out in the middle of the day anymore.

IANAD nor do I have any medical training at all. I have heard Doctors and other experts say that these appliances do not work, period.

All I know is that after trying many other options, I found something that worked for me.

From the google ads I see, now that my membership has lapsed, this stop snoring thing is big business.

I will post the link to the product I use here
http://www.allegromedical.com/personal-care-c532/noiselezz-mouthpiece-effective-snoring-relief-p216835.html
and let the user read the ratings and compare to all the other products out there.

Sweet Dreams

I do it when I’m drunk, so I try not to drink too much before bed (unless she is too, then we both snore.)

My husband informs me that I’ve become a snorer. I gained some weight, but at 126, I didn’t think this would put me in the “buzz saw zone.”

Add me to the weight loss cure column. Lost 30 pounds and the snoring stopped.

Diabetes got much better, too.

I’m not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination - when I snore, it’s from stuffiness.

I started using antihistamine spray before bed if I felt anything less than totally clear - and later switched to a neti pot because it was pretty damned constant for a while. Strangely, after a week or so of using the neti pot, it cleared up completely.

Hrm… so as a fat guy who drinks a lot, I have some work to do. :confused:

Apparently I’m okay on my stomach, and neti potting and/or not drinking and/or Breathe Right strips help.

All great ideas, thanks. I’m working on the weight thing. I might try the neti pot. I’d like to avoid the mouth guard thing, though. I know I wouldn’t fall asleep with it.

I love my CPAP machine. It took me a couple of weeks to get used to it, but it stopped my severe sleep apnea and horrible snoring.

And I can stay awake while driving now! :smiley:

I have sleep apnea and the CPAP machine stopped my snoring completely. I am one of the lucky ones that had no problem adapting to the machine.