Any Dopers ever had a hair transplant?

or know anyone who has? A friend of mine who is balding is considering a hair transplant. Personally, I think bald guys look fine and some are damn hot but he’s very self-conscious about it. I understand they’ve made improvements since the “plug” era but I worry that he’s going to look like he planted his hair. It’s also really expensive (starting around 10K), which he can’t really afford. I’m afraid he’s going to end up into debt up to his ears and looking like a cornfield. So I’m just wondering if anyone out there has had any success with the procedure.

I know someone who has had a transplant procedure. He went through Bosley. It looks good - natural. He spent 5K. It was an all day, out-patient procedure. It looked painful. It leaves a scar running along the middle (back) of the head. It can be 6 - 12 months before you really see the results.

All that being said, he’s quite happy with it and is considering having one more procedure to fill in a little more.

I didn’t think it was such a big deal, but to him losing hair was a hard thing to see every day in the mirror.

You may want to recommend trying Procpecia and/or Rogaine foam to your friend before he tries a surgical procedure. Also, toppik: Toppik Hair Building Fibers and Thinning Hair Products

Hope this helps. Best wishes to your friend.