Any home rememdies for seborrhoeic dermatitis?

Tried the anti-fungal lotions and creams and shampoos, no help.

Oral ketoconazole, no help but troublesome side effects.

Tried applying milk of magnesia(magnesium hydroxide in water) to my face patches and washing it off in the shower and while initially it looked like an amazing success with a full recovery the scale came back with a vengeance! No redness or inflammation but worse scale than before.:p:mad:

Anyone?

Neutrogena T-Gel is the only OTC treatment that works on my scalp. I’m guessing you already tried that one?

Essential oils of German Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) and English Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) in a base of equal parts your choice(s) of: Rose Hip Seed Oil, Jojoba Oil, Avocado Oil and Carrot Seed Oil. About 10-12 drops total essential oil to each ounce of base oil. Rose Hip Seed and Carrot Seed are preferred, but difficult to find. Apply a small amount topically 2-3 times per day. Follow the rest of your doctor’s recommendations for bathing frequency, water temperature, etc.

Not cheap, but once you get the ingredients to make the serum, a little goes a long way, and it will last a long time.

Note that this is not a cure, it’s a treatment. If it works and you stop using it, your symptoms may return (some people it returns right away, some people will go into remission until they’re under mental or physical stress which triggers a resurgence.) I don’t know of any *cures *for seborrhoeic dermatitis, unless it’s triggered by a diet or contact allergen that is identified and removed.

Moved to IMHO, home of medical threads, from MPSIMS.

Flaxseed oil worked wonders for me. It took about a week or two to see improvements. Omega 3 supplements are natural anti-inflammatories. Use it orally, not topically.

You’ve tried Head&Shoulders shampoo as a wash to the areas?

I’ve never tried WhyNot’s chamomile/lavender/rosehip/carrot oil mixture (sounds heavenly), but I’ve heard oil of oregano works for some to control it. Makes sense since its an antimicrobial).

Coconut oil helps some once I have a flare-up. All I have found that helps is washing my hair with dandruff shampoo at least every other day and making sure I rub a little on my face (and in my ears, that’s the worst for me!) when I wash my hair.

hemp oil, or hemp oil shampoo (the body shop do a good one) has always been an effective way to keep it under control. That and keeping my hair short (1/2 inch)

OTC hydrocortisone once a day keeps mine reasonable. Its what my derm recommended, along with xylogel, which I never bothered to get filled after samples ran out.

Zinc and castor oil - it is sold as a nappy rash cream