Any Lawrence Norfolk fans?

For whatever reason, last time I was in the library something appealed to me about a couple of books by Lawrence Norfolk, and I checked them out. I’m interested in hearing what you folks think of his works.

I’m currently about 70 pages into Lempriere’s Dictionary. I think I like it, but I’m not exactly sure yet what it is about or what kind of a read it will turn out to be. Suffice it to say it is NOT a quick read. In some ways, its dense “baroque” style reminds me of books along the line of The Cryptonomicon, which is good and bad. I know I will offend Stephenson fans, but IMO those books contained some really great writing, characters, and plots - but I think he could have used a good (and ruthless) editor.

And I’m not far enough in to see how well the countless plotlines will eventually reconcile. Right now I’m kind of reading it, and not worrying to much about how everything ties together, just assuming that eventually much/most of it will make sense. But if it is going to continue being opaque to the end, I’d just as soon put it down now instead of forcing myself to wade through several hundred more pages in hopes of explanations/resolutions that may never appear.

I also have The Pope’s Rinocerous, and In the Shape of a Boar. Started with L’s D just because it was written earlier. But do you recommend I read them in any particular order? Are any of the 3 especially worth reading (or not)?

Boy, the lack of responses really surprises me.

It seems that the Dope includes fans of just about every author, and every genre of literature. And this particular book - a mix of fantasy and history, and the style with which it is written, really made me believe there’d be some fans out there.

Suffice it to say I’m about 1/2 way through, and have not yet made up my mind whether I like it or not. It certainly has its good points, but I’m not sure it is entirely worth wading through the chaff to locate the grains.