Any More Glory Roads?

At the bottom is the quote from this book that says, better than I can, the sense I’m trying to convey. Read it if you want. But here’s the point: I’m bored and I want an adventure. Part of this is because I’ve been watching Texas Ranch House (and the earlier Frontier House) on PBS. Where’s the frontier nowadays?

I don’t have much keeping me where I am. I’m 27 and I have a part-time job as a bank teller and an apartment lease with a few more months on it. I have a beat-up Jeep that can probably handle a few more thousand miles if need be. I don’t really have any money to circle the globe as a tourist. I’m single and most of my close friends are scattered around the country. I’m close to finishing my degree, but I have no idea what comes after that.

So what is there? Is the French Foreign Legion still around? I’ve been in the military; I never saw combat and counter-insurgency is far too ugly for my tastes anyway. Peace Corps? Taming lions? Lumberjack? Something else? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Look, I realize that these kinds of things are romanticized. And I’m not necessarily looking for something reckless or life-threatening. But I’m still young, strong, and healthy, and I won’t be forever. And sitting in front of this computer is crushing my soul. I want to get out of here and do something exciting.

Might be pretty tame by your standards, but my own gee whiz idea has been to just start out hiking one day, probably just across the U.S. or so, and see how far I get and who I meet and what happens. Adventure is where you find it, I think - and there’s probably more than enough adventure in simply finding out that you hadn’t planned well enough for the weather. Which is to say, indeed, that there’s a line there somewhere between adventure and stupidity.

Also, I think there’s quiet adventure in trying to be a different person than you normally are - in starting a conversation with someone who makes you uncomfortable, perhaps.

No, there’s no need for any of us to die of boredom.

Head down to Terlingua, Texas and become a river guide/desert rat. You’ll find a few people who are doing the same thing you want to do. Even if you don’t stay, it’s worth an extended visit.