Looking to change my life...

Howdy all, I’m looking for a bit of Doper input. I’ve been feeling rather unsatisfied with my current situation for the past few months. I’m 22 and I’ve basically been on my own since I was 17, I’ve had a fairly steady job helping a family member run their business for the past 2.5 years now and it’s fairly enjoyable work. The main source of my discontent stems from the fact that I need something new. I’m a fairly intelligent guy though I don’t have a college degree or anything of that sort. I actually dropped out of high school when I was 16 and got my GED. I’ve taken a few college courses, and while an education might be something I’d like to pursue someday, it’s really not a top priority right now. If I ever did go back to school it would probably be more for my own enlightenment than a career anyway.

So, that being said, I’m just looking for some unique perspectives. If you were a 22 year old guy with little money saved, no real obligations besides a car payment, and a desire to strike out somewhere new where would you go? What would you do?

For a little more info on me, I’ll just add that I’m your typical übergeek. I enjoy reading books, tinkering with computers, learning new things, etc. I think way too much and I basically, for reasons of personal philosophy, am more concerned with living a relatively pain-free life of learning and wonder than working my tail off to make a lot of money or raise a family. Consider me something of a nihilist, if you will; that or a bit of a nomad at heart. I don’t really feel like I could ever belong anywhere, thus I’d like to just enjoy seeing what there is to see.

Anyway, yeah, enough of the heavy stuff for now, just tell me what you think would be an interesting path to take, please. I’m sort of out of ideas myself, but always ready to entertain new ideas and suggestions.

One good thing you have going for you is that you’re in El Paso and almost anywhere will be…different. On the other hand the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fense. Do you have family or friends anywhere else. It is really hard, but not impossible, to take off and go somewhere where you don’t know anyone. Why don’t you ask your boss if you can take the summer off and go somewhere. There are plenty of places that really need summer help and this would allow you to make a trial run. A couple of problems are that car payment and the present economy. Very few people know what they want to do for the rest of their lives, when they are your age. I have a 23 yo son that is in the same boat.

You touched upon a few excellent points right there kniz! Obviously, I’ll probably feel a bit better just about anywhere else since, as you seem to know, there aren’t too many places quite like Old El Paso. :wink: Also, I do realize that a great deal of happiness does come from within, thus I really can’t expect a change of locale to solve all my problems. I do have some family in Arizona and spread around California. I’ve kind of tossed around the idea of possibly asking for their help in getting established somewhere else.

I really don’t expect this change to solve my issues of happiness and fulfillment for the rest of my life. I just know that it would be nice to live in a new environment for a while. I’ve soaked up all the culture this place has to offer now I’m ready to move on.

Oh yeah, 'cause there’s SO much culture here. Join the military. Just do a nice little 2-year tour if you want. (Of course, if you want something interesting as opposed to “gun-toting”, you’re probably limited to a 4-to-6-year commitment. Regardless, you’ll:

a.) be moved around basically for free.

b.) won’t have as hard a time going somewhere that you don’t know anyone, as you won’t have nearly as much to worry about financially, and through the military, you’ll make just about any acquaintances you’ll need fairly quickly after you arrive at your destination.

c.) will get to see other places in order to “soak up the culture”. Hell, you might get lucky enough to soak up some European culture. Go 74 Bravo with a good ASVAB score, and make sure they write your MOS and first station of preference into your contract before you sign. Then you’ll be set.

d.) will be able to afford to buy many books, to attend many cultural events, and upgrading that P.O.S. Duron you’ve got (though, I’ll admit, 1GB of RAM is nice enough) :wink: to be much more…“tinkerable”. Your truck can be paid off pretty quickly, should you want it to be, since you really won’t have much else to pay for…you won’t be complaining about dialup, assuming they have broadband where you get stationed. Yeah, sure, you’ll have to go through 9 weeks of Basic Training and (knowing you, somewhere around 16 weeks) of AIT, but hey, a small price to pay for the luxury that’s to come.

Oh, yeah, and think of all them chicks that like G.I.s :wink: Especially them high-school aged girls you seem to be into… haha… J/K :wink:

I’m in the same boat as you. I’m 18, planning on going to university in a year or two. But I find I’m completely bored out of my face. I also need something new.
I was pretty tempted once to go move in with my friend in Montreal, that is if I had money at the time.
You should go on a road trip.
Get a good friend, and just drive. Don’t have a set plan, because people obsess over plans and they never work.
Just drive in one direction, pay no attention to signs, and see where you end up.
Camp where you go, don’t pay for a hotel.
Camping makes things a lot more enjoyable.
I think a road trip would give you something new to do.
What I’m suggesting isn’t probably what you’re looking for, but it’s just an idea that I would do.

That’s another thing I’ve considered. Depending upon how things go in the next few weeks, I may just do that. A major problem with my life here is that it’s so easy to be an underachiever. I know as long as I do my part I’ll never be out of a job and I’ll never be broke, but on the same token since it’s so easy to just coast along doing the minimum, I rarely ever try to do more with my life. I keep telling myself I need to snap out of it and do more, but I think a drastic change will be the only thing that gets it done. Perhaps an indefinite road trip will allow me to clear my mind?

This is not a new perspective. I’d go backpacking in Europe.

Another thing I’ve considered. The only problem I’ve seen in regards to that is the whole “little money saved” part means I’d have a hard time getting there, sustaining myself while there, and paying for the car I’m not using while there. OTOH, if I actually got off my ass and worked a bit to save up some more money, I could probably do that with little difficulty. This is definitely something worth thinking about.

i was in exactly the same boat as you, about 2 months ago. but just luckier. i am 19 and finished school when i was 18. but in the year that i had off, i also did a job that was the same thing over and over. but my parents went to korea (i used to live in south africa). they were there for about 3 months, then they invited me to join them. well, to make a long story short, i am in korea now. and it really is worth it. the culture is so different, it feels like another world. and it really opened my mind. i have only been here for a week now, but really go away while you’re still able!!! KICKS ASSS

i was in exactly the same boat as you, about 2 months ago. but just luckier. i am 19 and finished school when i was 18. but in the year that i had off, i also did a job that was the same thing over and over. but my parents went to korea (i used to live in south africa). they were there for about 3 months, then they invited me to join them. well, to make a long story short, i am in korea now. and it really is worth it. the culture is so different, it feels like another world. and it really opened my mind. i have only been here for a week now, but really go away while you’re still able!!!
it took some time to organise the visas and plane tickets, but i am here now.
KICKS ASSS!! leave as soon as poosible.

oops sorry about the 2, no 3 times, i have to get used to this.

You may wish to consider going away to college. You’ve got the perfect attitude for it, in that you wish to learn instead of being indoctrinated for a career.

It will make you a better citizen. Great environment, great way to experience another town or region, great place to learn about what you are interested in, great place to meet questing individuals like yourself, who often can become your close friends for a lifetime. Borrow some money from Uncle Sugar, the loans are not that terrible. Give it some thought.

You know what, Jimmy Quasar, I just may know you. I’m Franklin High class of 1997.

My vote’s for learning a foreign language, and then planning a trip. Hie thee to Amsterdam!

Franklin High, Class of 1997, and you ended up in Chicago? Must be nice…I thought there WAS no escape from El Paso…(Perhaps you should do a documentary of how you did it, and claim it’s a sequel to Escape from LA.)

[Hijack]
And to think I thought El Paso was famous for the brain drain. What are you dopers – obviously intelligent people – still doing there?

Actually, I liked El Paso. Started high school in another state. Do you realize how much of a boon Juarez. the magical land of no rules, is to idiot teenagers Went to UT for college. Am cooling my heels in law school right now. Not sure where I’ll end up.
[/Hijack]

Here’s another option, Jimmy Quasar. Get a group of friends together. Read Kerouac’s On the Road. Reenact. Rinse and repeat.

Or not. Jungle, drugs, booze, and stupidity are not a good combination.

Eh, a number of unfortunate circumstances have conspired to keep me here. Chief among them has been abject poverty, but I suppose that’s the life I’ve chosen. I have a strong feeling that the only way I’m going to get out of here is to up and leave one day and basically just try to survive. It’s totally against my nature, but every other thing I’ve tried seems to have failed. Careful planning was useless. Long journeys have opened my eyes but I still haven’t done anything about it. I tend to think things to death far too often. Most likely I will just put all of my things in storage, save up some survival money and, well, go survive. As I’ve said, though I’ve shunned formal education in the past, I’m far from stupid. I have 2.5 years of experience as essentially being the manager of a retail store. I know the economy is in the tank at the moment, but I’m far from unemployable. I guess I need to just get out there and do it.