Any one seen "In the Cut"

Not in my local movie theater yet, not even in the coming atractions. I thought the book was good, so how is the movie?

Bob Z

I went to the UK premiere a week or two ago and have to say I was disappointed. The movie isn’t really sure what it wants to be. It doesn’t work as a mystery at all, and it is too shallow to be a decent character study so it ends up as an artistic version of a late-night skinemax movie. On the plus side, it is beautifully shot and the performances are good (especially Mark Ruffallo) given they don’t have a great deal of material to work with. On my 1 to 10 scale it is a 5.

There’s a truly awful visual pun, for this movie, so dominated by oral sex, in a scene between Meg Ryan and her cop lover. She “gives him head”, so to speak — but not in the good meaning of that term. Ugh.

On my 1 to 10 scale I’d give it a 7.5. It’s a trashy thriller with good acting and lots of atmosphere. It’s the murder mystery aspect that doesn’t work quite as well as it should. I also liked the cinematography. Meg Ryan had a lot of guts to take a role with this much nudity, and it’s her acting ability that elevates this film above most others in this genre.

I have been driven to distraction by all the coy hints being dropped in articles about this movie, so somebody please tell me: just how graphic are Meg Ryan’s sex scenes? I don’t want to have to buy a ticket to find out. :slight_smile:

Just how graphic are the sex scenes? Haven’t seen it myself, but a friend said it should be called In the Butt. Chances are about 50/50 this particular friend was shining me on, though; so can anyone confirm or deny?

Whenever I want to find out just how much nudity is in a movie, I go to www.screenit.com.

Hah! That reminds me of Prick Up Your… uh… Prick Up Your… ummmm… what was the actual title again? :wink: