Any words you insist on reading wrong (in your head at least)?

Thanks to Christmas Story the word “fragile” will always be pronounced: Fra-geeeel-lay

The image format is always going to be a hard g and never a soft g. It’s not peanut butter.

Thanks to The Great Race, I always read “automobile” as “aw-tow-mow-beel” in full Tony Curtis mode.

When learning to spell “people”, I had to consciously remind myself that it has an “O” in it.

When reading it, my brain often hears it pronounced “pee-oh-pull”.

When I read rendezvous, my brain hears ren-dezz-vowse. I’ll always remember how to spell it.

Yep, that one.

Others for me: “queue” is pronounced the way it’s spelled: “kwee-wee” (rhymes with “kiwi”)
“quinoa” is pronounced the way it’s spelled: “kwi-noh-uh” (“qui” as in “quit” or “quick” + “noa” as in the Ark guy)

Question: Is “hors d’oeuvres” pronounced “horse doovers” or “whore’s doovers”?

Horses’ ovaries.

I used to pronounce it whores de overs.

Lately I’ve noticed trouble with “subsistence”. I keep hearing it/trying to say it as “subsidence”.

I’ve never heard it pronounced any other way than " oar doorves" or maybe “or dwarves”… the h or first s I’ve only heard pronounced on purpose to be funny or by someone with no clue what it is. I think perhaps it’s one of those words I’ve heard pronounced in a real life situation (“Would you like some or dorvs?”) before encountering it written.

I cannot read obfuscate in my head and not pronounce the u.

I’ve only recently been able to read the word indict and not pronounce it in-DICKED in my head.

I also struggle with not pronouncing infrared as in-FRARED.

mmm

The marine corpse instead of core

Also the 4 lbs. becomes 4 libs. For that I blame my older brother who would pronounce it out loud that way when I was young.

Which reminded me that thanks to my dad, who misread it the first time he saw the sign on a road trip, I can’t look at a Popeye’s chicken sign without thinking that they must be owned by a bunch of Catholics, having named their francise “Pope yes”

confused
looks up pronunciation
Well, I’ve been pronouncing that word wrong!

Until a somewhat embarrassingly late point in my childhood, I though there were two words “misled” pronounced miss-lead and “misled” pronounced my-zled that just happened to have similar meanings. So I still sometimes pronounce it my-zled in my head in fond memory.

I pronounce a lot of words phonetically in my head.

Knife = kahniffee
Knight = kahniggt
Wednesday = Wednesday :grin:

And ever since I watched Finding Nemo:

Escape = escappee

Vegetable

I hate the sudden stop after the “J” sound, then having to move yer tongue around to regroup and start the “T” phase of the word, so I leave out the “T” sound and it becomes, “Veh-juh-ble.” I expect you all to follow suit. :wink:

For a moment there, I thought you were channeling T’Pring.

Thinking about this today. In English translations of manga, they often use “fufufu…” to represent a type of laughter. I prefer to always read it as the person saying “Eff you, eff you, eff you…”

There is a local restaurant named Master’s Wok that I think of as Master Swok and a medical franchise named Doctor’s Care that to me is Doctor Scare.

(And from a similar recent thread)

When people mean “its” but write “it’s”, I pronounce it “it is”, as in “I grabbed the cat by it is tail”.

Me too!

That reminds me. Thanks the the wonderful Swan and Flanders song, gnu is pronounced GUHnew in my head