Any WWE fans in the audience? (Part 1)

Hm?

Imgur

Or, for a more recent example:

Imgur

The only word I think Smapti got wrong in his post is “only”. Probably would have been better to have said “mostly”. Not that it is totally bad, as a black champion often means other black wrestlers get more spotlight time than they would if there were a white champion…until Vince stupidly disbands the next Hurt Business. :roll_eyes:

AEW Dark Taz/Excalibur moment of the day

Ex is replaced by Tony Schiavone this week.

Anna Jay vs. Ashley D’Amboise

Tony plugs an upcoming show in Long Island.

Tony: I know that’s very close to you, Taz. For you fans, that’s right near Belmont Park.
Taz: That’s right. Belmont Park, which is right there in Elmont New York, heart of Nassau County, Strong Island. I just gotta get on my moat and take it right there. I got a moat, and I’ll just float right over there, know what I mean?
Tony: Heh, Absolutely. I know you got a boat.
Taz: Not a boat, a moat.
Tony: MOAT?!

All I can say WRT Big E is that we all also thought giving the belt to Kofi was a bit of pandering and it came with an air of “oh I can’t wait to see how Vince screws this up!” and Kofi proceeded to hold the belt for close to, if not, an entire year. His squash to Brock when he lost could have been better, but a skinny, black, flippy shit-type guy held the belt for a long time and I see no reason why the massive, black, powerhouse can’t do the same.

It was only 180 days, April 7, 2019 to October 4, 2019.

Cute Tweet by AJ Lee on the occasion of Big E winning the WWE Championship:

Oh damn really? It felt like so much longer! Well, I’m a bit less exaggerated with it, but my point still stands. He held it for a good while and won over a good handful of opponents during his run, I don’t see why the feat can’t be repeated.

Well, this is a surprise, but considering it’s Ric Flair, not really.

Impact suspended Tommy Dreamer for his comments.

Wonder if AEW will take similar action on Dustin Rhodes? Even though he was verbal instead of physical, it’s still not the type of thing they would want to be associated with.

i wonder if its gonna be on any of cornette’s podcasts…

i havent found the details but somethings going on with flair and AEW over it also

Dreamer’s issue isn’t with the flight, which is old news, but with the comments he made regarding the flight for the episode. While I haven’t watched the episode, from what I’ve heard he described it as “boys being boys”. That does not fly anymore. Can’t say for sure, but had he been more contrite and apologetic, which everyone associated with that flight should be, I don’t think Dreamer would have a problem with Impact. As for Flair, he’s standing by “it didn’t happen like that”, though I’m certainly not going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly I’m surprised that anyone’s surprised - Ric has pretty much always been a drunken asshole of a womanizer. Hell, I remember WWE Network advertising a special 5 or so years ago where he bragged about flashing flight attendants while wearing his ring robe with nothing underneath and getting handsy with them.

This is the only time I know of Tommy Dreamer, the Innovator of Violence, getting in trouble with management. He’s always done unpaid work behind the scenes and gone out of his way to help with production. I’m sure this will blow over eventually.

AEW Dark Taz/Excalibur moment of the day

Chaos Project vs. Santana & Ortiz

Ex: Taz, The All Elite Zone is part of Universal Studios, Orlando Florida. You think Luther and Serpentico spent a lot of time at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in order to warm up for this match?

Taz: You know, I got to this arena early. I know you got here a lot later because you’re a “star.” But I know for a fact I saw a camper outside with a big eyeball on it, and they slept in the parking lot overnight before all the Harry Potter Jones arrived and all that, and whatever the hell you just said.

Tonight’s big episode of Dynamite certainly pulled out all the stops. They started the show off with Danielson vs. Omega, which went to a 30-minute time limit draw and was pretty exciting throughout. Sting and Darby Allin defeated FTR, with Sting doing a surprising amount of the legwork and getting the victory with a Scorpion Deathlock, but not before punching out Tully Blanchard when he tried to interfere with a steel chair. Brian Pillman Jr. got a hard-fought victory over MJF, and Malakai Black defeated a returning Cody Rhodes via black mist while the ref was tending to Arn Anderson, who accidentally took a bump from Cody. The main event saw Britt Baker retain over Ruby Soho with some help from her goon squad, protecting Ruby and likely setting up a rematch.

TNT lets me watch their east coast feed live on their website by signing in with my Comcast account, so I was able to watch it all as it happened instead of watching it on a three-hour delay when it airs on the west coast feed. This was definitely the best edition of a weekly wrestling show I’ve seen in quite some time and it blew everything WWE is doing right now completely out of the water.

Missed the edit window: As a tangential observation, TNT played the same commercial for AirBNB about five times during the show. The commercial uses a song called “El Lado Mas Bestia de la Vida” or “The More Beastly Side of Life”… which is a Spanish-language rewrite of Lou Reed’s “Take a Walk on the Wild Side” and uses the same music.

I can only assume that whoever directed the commercial thought the song sounded cool, was unfamiliar with the original, and didn’t bother to Google the lyrics, because that’s the only explanation I can think of for why they went with a song about transgender prostitutes to soundtrack a commercial about a father bonding with his infant son on a vacation.

I remember being able to watch nitro then raw am hour later due to TNT not having a time delay… heh …I remember the horrible shows they tried until nitro went to 3 hours…

It seemed to me when I was a kid that having the Turner channels (TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, etc.) run on east coast time nationwide was a great idea, because in those days before DVRs it meant that, as well as not having to pick a side in the Monday Night War, you could watch their prime-time lineup earlier in the day and then watch something else during prime time instead of having to choose. WGN did the same thing and was a WB affiliate at the time (and WB had a great prime-time Sunday night sitcom lineup in the '90s IMO), so I could catch their shows without having to miss the Simpsons and the other stuff on Fox.

Whoever had the idea to put the west coast on tape delay should be flayed alive and then sent to bed without any supper.

Actually, MJF made Pillman Jr. tap out. AEW is behind MJF as one of their major heels, and he did cut that sick promo addressing Pillman Sr. in hell.

DBD and Omega put on a master-class match TV match. DBD’s kicks haven’t lost a step, so to speak. It could only end in a way where neither participant won, and it drew Jurassik Express and Christian in a long-term faction feud with The Elite. This is getting me as pumped as the Four Horsemen feud with Sting and the Road Warriors back in the day.

I’m kind of confused with what Cody’s doing. He’s making him and Malakai into a Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader trope, but he’s also setting up some kind of split with Arn Anderson. They had a botch with Arn slipping off the apron before the bump, so that kind of spoiled it. Anyways, AEW was built on Cody divorcing from mainstream wrestling and returning to Old School values, so it seems kind of counterproductive to tease a swerve and predilect another divorce from said Old School.

D’oh! I must be remembering it wrong, as I’ve checked and it seems you’re right.