Anybody else have to sing Schoolhouse Rock songs to remember their sentance parts?

Just wondering. Am I the only person who, when presented with something pertaining to sentence parts (verbs, conjunctions, adjectives, etc.) has to start singing the appropriate Schoolhouse Rock song to remember what the heck it is?

As seen in an employment application I filled out last Friday:

"What adjective would you use to best describe your working habits?"

Adjective? Er, hang on…

We hiked along without care.
Then we ran into a bear.
He was a hairy bear,
He was a scary bear,
We beat a hasty retreat from his lair.
And described him with adjectives.

Riiiiight. Ahem… “I would describe my working habits as both hairy, and scary…”

Well, not really but you get the idea.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to go drink beer until I can dislodge “Interplanet Janet” from the soundtrack in my skull.

No, but I can’t think of the Preamble to the Constitution without singing it in my head.

No, not to remember sentence parts…but if I want to say the Preamble to the Constitution, I automatically start singing…
We the people, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

It’s automatic, whether I say it out loud or in my head.

I’m just a bill, yes I’m only a bill… sittin’ on Capital Hill…

Although I don’t need to sing the songs to remember the sentence parts, I always think of the songs when thinking of the sentence parts.

Also, about a week ago, I was bored out of my mind at work. I started singing “Lolly, Lolly, Lolly”, and the next thing I know, I’m singing “Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here”. It’s been stuck in my head ever since. It has been over a week and I’m getting kinda disturbed over the whole thing.:eek:

Another vote for the preamble. It’s the only SHR that I ‘sing’ to remember but sometimes I will go through one of the multiplication rock when trying to figure something out - not that I really need that (they now have calculators :wink: ) but it sometimes comes in handy.

I love the way those little things work. They were written by ad people, and they work just like ads-a simple little phrase or phrases set to music helps you remember.

“Conjunction Junction, what’s your function? Hookin’ up words and phrases and clauses.” That’s what a conjunction does, all right.

“Now every person you can know, or anything that you can show, or any place that you can go, you know they’re nouns.” Right again.

“We the People, in order to form a more perfect union…” Right again…except for “of the United States.” But still pretty much right!

They work, and well. Those wonderful admen. Anything can be remembered if put to a catchy song. And these people did it consistently, showed it randomly every Saturday morning, and won four Emmies and countless acclaim for their effort. Wonderful!

[sub]Darn! That’s the end.[/sub]

I actually DO use “Lolly, Lolly, Lolly” on occasion to refresh on adverbs - or maybe I just like the song.

But like others here, every SINGLE time I hear someone start speaking the words “We the People …” that song starts playing in my mind.

Schoolhouse Rock, er, rocks!