Anybody watching the LLWS? What's up with Taipei's flag?

This should be a great deal less complicated than my last GQ thread. Anyway, I’ve been watching a lot of the Little League World Series. Chinese Taipei’s (sp?) flag on ESPN isn’t anything I’ve seen before. I can’t find it anywhere on the internet, either. I’m used to seeing a mostly red flag, with a blue field in the upper left corner with a white sun inside. This flag is black with a white flower-like thing, and a purple circle inside of that. What’s the story behind this flag?

The flag you’re used to seeing is the “national” flag of Taiwan, or the Republic of China, as they probably prefer to call themselves – and this whole political business of who is the real China has carried over into the sports world, where the Taiwanese delegation to the Olympics is also using a separate emblem and calling themselves “Chinese Taipei” instead of either Taiwan or Rep. of China. From your desciption, their Little League team’s flag is very similar to their Olympic flag.

The flower-like thing is a stylized representation of a plum blossom, which is their national flower.

Thanks, Earthling, that is the flower I have been seeing.