Anyone else hiding from Xmas carolers?

I think this is the best solution.

Pssst. Post #12.

Too right :slight_smile:

Aside from the screaming cookbook kids at the church opposite on Friday, this street has been quiet – you get the choirs and brass bands in the high street and town centres (there were a small ensemble of high-school-aged kids playing at the Marks and Spencers on Saturday, and as usual Southampton had a brass band down at West Quays.)

People here along the streets nearby starting putting up lights after Fireworks night. It’s been terribly rainy though which is probably keeping all but the most diehard inside.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Bands of carolers roved the desolate earth looking for prey.

The only time we ever went caroling was as part of a church group.

Now I’m like the Blink 182 guy, I don’t like Christmas music.

1. Many are religious themed. They irritate me. Some people can separate the lyrics/message from the “spirit of christmas” or whatever. Not me. The words get stuck in my head, and then I’ve got religious messages bouncing around in my skull. GET IT OUT!

2. Most are done in “traditional style”, which is bad enough. Then you get the dreadful crooners and jazzy versions that sound atrocious. Please, no.

We get carolers from one of the many local Lutheran churches. They aren’t half bad - and they leave behind greetings tied around a bundle of candy canes. But…

Dang it! They always come singing and ringing the doorbell when I’m on the phone. Last year, it was a friend in CA. This year, it was a friend in India. I’m not hanging up the phone to listen to carolers. But because my lights are on, they keep ringing the doorbell. What’s with that bit of irritation? I’m trying to listen to my friend’s mother.

Next year, I’m going to put a lighted sign that says “Don’t ring the doorbell or I’ll come into your Christmas service singing *Jingle Bells, Batman Smells *at the top of my lungs.”

I got caught by them twice this month. They showed up when I had guests over and proceeded to sing. Then they asked for donations. They didn’t seem like nice carolers…bunch of teenagers. At least 5 or 6 of them. It was too late because everyone saw them and I couldn’t just slam the door in their faces during this festive season. I really felt they were being disruptive. They showe up after 9:00pm at night. I felt very uncomfortable. They got their money and left.

Just today, December 31st, they showed up again at about 8:00pm. I got caught by surprise AGAIN. This time, there were only two of them. They said they were singing carols. It seemed like those two forgot who I was. I think they knew but wanted money. I told them it was too cold and drafty and some other time. They had the nerve to ask for “just a donation”. So, my husband was looking for some change and so I asked them to sing…what the heck. They sang their song…got their money and left. They have an attitude like they are entitled to it. It hit me later…why are they singing carols when christmas is over? learned my lesson. These are not genuine carolers.

Christmas isn’t over. Not until January 8. It is the 7th day of Christmas today. (Don’t let the retailers convince you that the 12 days of Savings are the 12 Days of Christmas). In the Middle Ages, carolers who were often tenant farmers and farm hands would show up during the 12 days.

Not a complete explanation but here’s the obligatory Wikipedia link.

What’s with the donations thing though? I’ve never been asked for donations by carolers. When I was growing up, we would greet carolers with Christmas treats such as spritz cookies and hot chocolate (not as potent as wassail) and it considered an expected part of the festivities in that neighborhood.

When we moved, Mom expected to hand out treats to the new bunch of carolers but they looked at us like we were weird. I remember it clearly though I was only about 7 or 8 years old…

What’s a “genuine” caroler? They came by, they sang. Sounds genuine to me. Never heard of donations before, though. I always though caroling was about sharing Christmas cheer and the baby Jesus, not getting money. Maybe I just don’t remember.

Sounds like it’s a UK vs. USA thing.

I’ve never had carolers or known anyone who has in my life. Until reading this thread I assumed that it was either 1) one of those quaint things that people did a hundred years ago, like ride in one horse open sleighs or roast chestnuts on open fires, or 2) that carolers only go to the houses of people they know and love (or hate), because going to strangers houses, inflicting your singing on them, and THEN asking them for money sounds like something that only the most aggressive panhandlers would do.

Do carolers really demand money from their victims? How much? What happens if they don’t comply? Do the carolers TP the house, refuse to stop singing, pee on your Christmas decorations or what? Has anyone in this thread called the police on carolers and what was the result?