Anyone else like to fall asleep to music?

I sense I’m in the minority in that I like to listen to music as I fall asleep at night. In fact, I find it difficult to fall asleep if there isn’t music playing - a silent room just seems to breed the sort of brooding over my problems that leads to a night of fitful insomnia. Music seem to draw me into the dreamlike state of imagination that’s a prelude to falling asleep.

Of course, I don’t put on something like Operation Ivy or free jazz. I’m a fan of cheesy easy listening music, so somebody like Jo Stafford or Dean Martin usually fills the bill.

Rather paradoxically, I could never fall asleep watching TV. This may have something to do with not having cable for the last 7 years, but I find TV to so overstimulate my senses that I’ll stay awake well past my bedtime if I indulge in watching late at night. Yet I know other people who routinely lull themselves to sleep in front of the tube.

Anyone want to speculate on what accounts for these differences?

I like to fall asleep to music, but it always ends up waking me up again at some point.

The Grateful Dead’s “American Beauty” is great to fall asleep to, but “Truckin’” at the end of the album always wakes me up.

I have to be really tired to fall asleep in front of the TV at night, but I can easily take a nap on Sunday afternoon with football on the TV.

Well I dont listen to music, but i find it much easier to fall asleep if the TV’s on. Strange for me as usually even a ticking clock keeps me awake.

Thank god for the sleep button on the remote so i dont have to get up and turn it off.

But music no. Perhaps its because i would want to sing along?

I had insomnia for years, so I used to listen to the BBC World Service (or Radio 4 - both are current affairs talk radio). Now, I find it’s a good aide dormir, and I find it difficult to sleep without it on.

Well I dont listen to music, but i find it much easier to fall asleep if the TV’s on. Strange for me as usually even a ticking clock keeps me awake.

Thank god for the sleep button on the remote so i dont have to get up and turn it off.

But music no. Perhaps its because i would want to sing along?

Music playing, however softly, keeps me awake (probably cos I always used a radio as my wake up alarm, and not a shrill tone or bell alarm)…so if I hear music (as opposed to dogs barking, F111s passing over head, car alarms, etc), I’m awake like a shot…

I once travelled in a van, road trip sort of thing, with a person who couldn’t sleep without music, and since it was her van, and she was driving, she left the radio on all night…absolute hell!

Call me crazy, but I listen to music both to fall asleep and to wake up. I use the “sleep” function of my alarm clock and also set the alarm to music and/or Howard Stern.

As far as genre, anything I would normally listen to is fine. I don’t need anything soothing. I’ve fallen asleep to Metallica.

Somehow my brain works it out.

Call me crazy, but I listen to music both to fall asleep and to wake up. I use the “sleep” function of my alarm clock and also set the alarm to music and/or Howard Stern.

As far as genre, anything I would normally listen to is fine. I don’t need anything soothing. I’ve fallen asleep to Metallica.

Somehow my brain works it out.

gonzoron, I do the same thing. I usually listen to the music I have on my computer or in my CD player to fall asleep to at night, then use the radio (morning talk show) to wake up in the morning.

I have found that I fall asleep quickly if I listen to classical music, but I’ll end up staying awake and kind of sing along with lyrics.

• Get yourself a pair of cheap but reasonably good sounding cones. The rounder and cushier they are, the better.

• invest in a nice big fluffy soft down pillow

• Fall asleep listening to your favorite songs, wake up wondering what happened.

Music can be a fantastic dream stimulator, and it definitely helps me sleep better. I use headphones because, even though they’re awkward at first when your head is lying down, the music feels contained within your head.

I like to play music on my bedroom hi-fi system last thing at night, so I inevitably end up falling to sleep to music ocasionally, but usually I fall asleep just after the cd ends.

I always listen to music as I fall asleep. That way, I don’t have to listen to the shit that’s going on inside my head*, which usually will keep me up long, long hours. Nothing too hard, nothing too soft, but there’s a wide middle section that is dandy.

*-I actually find Lewis Black to be very calming while I’m trying to sleep. I’m sure that’s a sign of serious mental and emotional problems.

I love falling asleep to music, exactly the way criminalcatalog described. Pair of Sennheisers, nice big pillow and there you go. Did it last night to Windy & Carl’s “Consciousness” but my usual cd for falling asleep is something like Miles Davis’ “In a Silent Way”

I should mention that I recently bought one of these: pillow speaker, that sits under my pillow beaming soothing voices into my ear. Until last month I had no idea that such a thing existed.

I may be eccentric, but at least I’m a demographic!

I could never fall asleep with headphones on. I listen with them at work and sometimes I have to take them off. If I need to concentrate on something, they just demand too much attention. It’s great if you’re just listening to music.

I have the hardest time falling asleep without music…anything though will work for me. Sometimes I fall asleep to Bjork, other days to GYBE and others to NIN…

To up the freakiness, I also continuously turn my head from side to side (for hours, even after falling asleep), and sleep without a pillow…drives my SO up the wall but hey it makes me asleep a lot faster. (friends have tried it and said it gave the biggest headache ever - it doesn’t bother me at all).

I also prefer to hear music as I drift off because I need something else to focus on besides my own thoughts. Philip Glass, Julee Cruise and Slowdive are personal favourites for this sort of thing. I also used to listen to BBC World Service like jjim, but it led to some pretty unpleasant sleep-disturbing dreams on occasion so I stopped it.