Listening to music while you sleep...

Would it have any disadvantages if you put on some music, very softly?
And would your brain have registered the songs, so would you actually get to know the cd?

Thanks…

First of all, I want to apologize to you, TimeStamp, about my snapping at you last thread. I got the wrong first impression of you, and I’m sorry. Secondly, pertaining to your question, I don’t have any sort of scientific knowledge (this might be better in GQ), but I normally listen to music when I sleep and also seem to memorize songs more quickly than other people. I have no idea if there’s any relation between these two things or not, but it’s something to start with.

No hard feelings. I WAS overreacting, but it was stronger than myself for some reason. I can understand that it got on some people’s nerves.

Thanks for your reply.

I listen to music while I sleep all the time and unlike JimSox, I suck at memorizing music. I personally doubt that it helps but that’s just a personal opinion, obviously.

My last post didn’t come out quite right. Instead of saying I had no idea if there was a relationship, I should have said I doubt that there’s a relationship, because I’m normally pretty good at memorizing things in general.

This is my 666th post. I should do something evil. Hmm. . .damn. There. I said something bad. Kind of.

I sometimes listen to music late at night and usually nod off in the middle. Are the songs registered consciously, no not always. It is common IME to wake up and look at the playlist and see songs there with no memory of hearing them play. I doubt it would help with memorizing a CD.

I like having some music on as I fall asleep, but I don’t like the music to continue playing once I’ve fallen asleep, so I usually program the stereo to play about 7-8 songs only. If I’m still awake at the end of the playlist, I’ll just load another one.

I don’t like the music playing while I sleep because more often than not I end up not having a good night’s sleep - I find it disturbing. Curiously, I’m normally a very heavy sleeper, but even soft music causes me to wake up.

In my experience, going to sleep on slow music speeds up the process, and the sleep is deeper too. I have never woken up to having learnt the songs after falling to sleep on them.

When going to sleep/during sleep I only listen to classical or jazz.

I’ve never woken up and suddenly known a song that I previously didn’t, I was just saying that there may (although highly unlikely) have been an aid when memorizing it later.

As a sidenote, isn’t the basis of hypnoaedia in Brave New World?

I experimented with this theory about 10 years ago.

I picked a CD with music light enough that it would not prevent me from falling asleep, even at a moderate volume – Wilson Phillips. Every night I pressed “play” on my CD player just before turning off the light. I did this for 30 days to see if the later tracks on the disc would be at all familiar when I listened to them while awake (it rarely takes me more than 10 minutes to fall fast asleep).

30 days of research later: I didn’t recognize a damn thing after track 5 or so.

Conclusion: Listen in your sleep all you want. Just don’t expect to retain any of it.