Anyone heard about a kids book series where the author has hidden jeweled insects?

All around the country(or maybe the world), this one author has hidden different insects that are made out of jewels. The series of books he is writing are supposed to give hints as to where they are in the country, but no one has found any yet.

I read about this twice on an airplane magazine, but I’ve forgotten the name of the author and the book titles. Does anyone know any websites about this and what the information is?

Thanks!

http://www.atreasurestrove.com/

Far from an original idea. Stolen wholesale from Kit Williams.

There was a whole genre of these kind of books in the 1980s. The first one to be popular was Masquerade by Kit Williams. Two years after publication the golden hare was found. Kit Williams followed that up with Untitled, or “The Bee Book”. The treasure wasn’t actually to be dug up, but rather the true title of the book had to be figured out and the answer sent to Williams in non-verbal form to claim the jeweled bee.

There was a later book titled Treasure: In Search of the Golden Horse, the golden horse in question not being found before the deadline. The publishers dug it back up and auctioned it off for charity.

Another one, more recent I believe, is The Whistle Pig. There are 10 short stories that have clues leading to an unmistakable key hidden somewhere on public property in the US.

I think I read an article very recently that one of the jewels has been found. Can’t help you with the title or author though!

A good source of information is http://www.tweleve.org/

The author hid twelve (there may be 13) tokens around the country redeemable for a jewel or cash. Once the first one was found and it turned out the code was a deceptively simple cipher most of the others were found in a short span of a month or so. Embedded in the drawings are instructions on how to use the cipher.

All but one of the twelve tokens have been found. If you join the forums at the above site (free) you will find the exact instructions on how they were found and plenty of ideas on how to find the last one (or two).

The author is currently working on another book that is rumored to be world wide. Look for that in a year or two.

David Blaine employed this gimmick as well for his book Mysterious Stranger: A Book of Magic.

The details of the treasure hunt and winner are documented here.

Was Kit Williams the first to use this gimmik in a published book.

I wasn’t able to find that out when I was researching my post last night. Masquerade is the first one I remember, but that may be as much a function of its popularity as the timing (I was in my early teens when it was published, so anything much earlier than that I would be unfamiliar with). I do remember that such a big deal was made of Masquerade that it seemed as if it was some sort of ground-breaking book.

Not exactly a book, but in 1980 the now long-defunct gaming company Metagaming published The Quest for the Silver Dragon, which was a solitare adventure for their Melee/Wizard pseudo-RPG. The game held clues to where a real silver dragon figurine had been buried. That is about the same time Masquerade came out but I don’t know if they were inspired by the book or not.

They later published The Quest for the Unicorn Gold which supposedly did something similar, but it appears as if they never really hid the statue they claimed to.

Ok. I guess all are found now except for possibly a 13th token.