Anyone know some songs about pregnancy?

Knocked Up” by Dan Baird, from Love Songs for the Hearing Impaired :smiley:

Kate Bush has another one that just hits me “right there” (::c-of-cyn points to her heart::). It is called “This Woman’s Work” and the lyrics are from the father’s perspective during the actual moments of the mother’s labor. It is on her “The Sensual World” album. One can also find it on the soundtrack to “She’s Having a Baby” .

There are a few on this aforementioned soundtrack:
"Apron Strings" by Everything But the Girl
"She’s Having a Baby" by Dave Wakeling (also somewhat from a father’s perspective)

On a totally different note, there is “Blessed” by Elton John . Lovely melody, touching lyrics.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by c-of-cyn *
**Kate Bush has another one that just hits me “right there” (::c-of-cyn points to her heart::). It is called “This Woman’s Work” and the lyrics are from the father’s perspective during the actual moments of the mother’s labor. It is on her “The Sensual World” album. One can also find it on the soundtrack to “She’s Having a Baby” .

I love that song. As a matter of fact, Maxwell has covered it, and he’s done quite a good job of it if you ask me.

Another pregnancy song you should probably avoid is “This night has opened my eyes” by The Smiths.

There’s also Outkast’s “Toilet Tisha” which is, like other selections above, more on the depressing side since AFAIK it’s about a girl giving birth in a bathroom, in secret.

Have to second the vote for the musical, “Baby,” by Richard Maltby and David Shire. The song, “The Story Goes On,” does a really good job of conveying what I think parenthood is really all about, and is exciting musically, too. About two thirds of the songs deal with parenthood or pregnancy in one way or another - some are funny, some wistful, some passionate… a song for just about any mood.

• FCF

I feel queasy and I feel bloated
I am so nauseous I want to heave
It’s not easy, no it’s not easy
to keep down food
after you conceive

I feel tired, I am exhausted
I am intrigued how fatigued I feel
I’m so worn out, yes I’m so worn out
I take a nap after every meal

I can’t believe the change I see
Is this the way it is with pregnancy?
I have a glow, friends say to me
but it’s heartburn: Give me sympathy!

My mood can swing,
I can be high and low just like the tide
Please let me off
this bumpy roller coaster ride!

Bwahaha! I was just gonna write my own song, but I see white-tigeress has done the honors! I couldn’t do better than that! :smiley:

I hear the payoff at the end of pregnancy is pretty good. It better be. Pardon me while I go hug the porcelain goddess for the third time today.

–Green Bean, 36 weeks and counting.

“Baby Mine” from the Beaches soundtrack.

Marc Cohn has a song called “The Things We’ve Handed Down”, which is about having a child (but not about being pregnant). I heard him do it live on the radio before he ever recorded it, and was touched. The produced version on the album is good too.

[sample lyrics]

Don’t know much about you
Don’t know who you are
We’ve been doing fine without you
But, we could only go so far

I wonder who you’ll look like
Will your hair fall down and curl
Will you be a mama’s boy
Or daddy’s little girl
Will you be a sad reminder
Of what’s been lost along the way
Maybe you can help me find her
In the things you do and say

And these things that we have given you
They are not so easily found
But you can thank us later
For the things we’ve handed down

[/sample lyrics]

Booklover – Great choice! That one is my favourite! It’s originally from DUMBO. It’s a wonderful scene – Jumbo cradles him in her trunk and rocks him to sleep.

Bonnie Raitt also does a wonderful version of it on the “Stay Awake!” album. (Popular musicians doing Disney tunes).

“Baby mine, don’t you cry/ Baby mine, dry your eyes/ Rest your head/ Over my heart/ Never to part/ Baby of mine”

You’ll love it. Congratulations Shawa!!

“Closer” by Better Than Ezra is an absolutely gorgeous song about having a child.

Don’t forget the Mojo Nixon classic “Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My Two Headed Love Child”. What? Stop looking at me like that!

Hate to admit the first one that came to my mind.

(You’re) Having My Baby, by Paul Anka, came out about '74. I bet it sounds real tacky now though.

Notice it’s "Having My Baby??

Maybe more from the father’s point of view, but if you’re looking for a song just to hum or sing softly, it’s hard to beat Danny’s Song by Kenny Loggins.

People smile and tell me I’m the lucky one
We’'ve just begun
I think I’m gonna have a son. . .

The SONG The Kick Inside on the album is about pregnancy, but it’s extremely dark and depressing.

(The character in the song is pregnant by her brother, so she’s going to commit suicide in order to spare the family shame. The song itself is the suicide note!)

Barenaked Ladies:

Stephen Page Is Having A Baby

Who says boys could never give birth? :smiley:

and She’s On Time.

MOVIES have SOUNDTRACKS. MUSICALS have CAST RECORDINGS. If you posted this on a musicals site, you’d have 9 million fanatics (myself included) screaming at you.

Though I agree it’s a great cast recording.

Just to correct myself: it’s spelled Steven.

And the songs are about pregnancies, but they’re not really ones you can relate to if you’re pregnant. They’re pregnancy songs from a guy’s point of view. They’re still a lot of fun, though.

“Me in Honey” by R.E.M., another “guy’s perspective on pregnancy” song.

Well I thought of Lightning Crashes by Live. But I wouldn’t recommend listening to it until AFTER the wee one is here. Its not a happy song… tho it does have hope in it.