Anyone Know WTF Is Up W/ Randy Quaid?

Sampiro said:

To me, the fact that she’s claiming that Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, David Carradine, and Natasha Richardson were all murdered for their connection to her and Randy is the most damning evidence. That screams paranoid delusions right there.

MPB in Salt Lake said:

Actually, I think it’s more connected to the paranoid delusions. Staying at hotels because you don’t want to be found. Leaving suddenly. All the antics in Marfa.

Well it is an odd coincidence they all had a VHS of CHRISTMAS VACATION 2: COUSIN EDDIE’S ISLAND ADVENTURE inscribed “Evi Quaid says Hello!” in lipstick at the scene of the death when they died.

Apparently, Evi was arrested in Texas Dec. 20th.

I just saw that Randy and his wife were arrested again yesterday in California, for squatting in a vacant home (they apparently owned the home in the 1990’s but sold it years ago) and damaging it to the tune of $5,000.

They are both being held on $50,000 bail, and I think that they are also both on probation, so this could be more than a slap on the wrist for them this time (of course, he is a celebrity of sorts, so in CA. all bets are off).

I hope I can speak for everyone and say we are profoundly grateful for the hard work you do keeping us informed of their situation.

I know I, for one, sleep better knowing you’re out there taking care of all of our important gossip needs.

Meh, I see nothing wrong with MPB keeping us abreast of Quaid’s contretemps. Plenty of people have found the thread interesting, it has over 4,000 views.

Thanks, but valleyofthedolls was clearly attempting to publicly shame me into taking a hard, introspective look into my pathological gossip-mongering ways in respect to the Quaid family, so that I may be a better, less judgemental person in the future.

Valleyofthedolls is the finest man I have ever known, and his Solomon-like wisdom is a bulwark to all who interact with him.

Besides, I was honestly a bit shocked that a once popular, wealthy actor like Randy Quaid is compelled to commit the same types of crimes over and over again, despite getting caught repeatedly.

No prob. :wink:

Me, too. And the funny thing about it is that all this has seemed to come from out of nowhere. For years and years he was just this funny, successful actor; and then all of sudden he seems to have gone nuts. Even stranger is that he has a wife who is totally sympatico with him, or vice-versa, and they keep doing these very odd things together.

In France, they may call you “artiste”- in America, we call you “thread shitter”.

Nothing of the sort. As I said, you’re doing us all a service and I wanted to thank you.

I’m sorry you feel that way.

Know what happens when valleyofthedolls posts on this thread and then goes to an all you can eat buffet?

“The Thread shitter’s full!”

Personally I think the schadenfreude aspects of the guy are really interesting. Is it because he’s broke (because he can pay bail) or just thoroughly schizo or drugs or…
It’s an interesting celebrity gossip case.

It is threadshitting, and it is considered very bad form. If you don’t care about the topic of a thread, stay out of the thread, don’t come in and make snarky remarks about the topic, the people posting about it, and the people who point out that you’re acting like a jerk.

Thanks,

twickster, Cafe Society moderator

Wrong Thread

It’s hard not to think that mental illness must be an issue. But you’d think that in the course of all of these legal troubles, someone would have ordered a psych evaluation.

When I read the news article about him today I decided to do a bit of research into his personal finances.

Just from what IMDb lists, he has made 10.8m just from these movies:

Christmas Vacation $1m + 5% of Gross (~$5.3m)
The Adventures of Pluto Nash $1.25m
Kingpin $2.25m
Goya’s Ghosts $1m

Just off the top of my head, that’s not mentioning several movies that were big money makers:

1. The other National Lampoon’s movies he did
  2. Independence day
  3. Days of Thunder

Not to mention Brokeback Mountain (which grossed something like $160m), which as has been mentioned he sued the producers over and they settled with him for an amount that left Quaid pleased.

In addition to those big name movies he has 115 actor credits to his name since 1968, and I believe he’s worked as a full time actor since the early/mid-1970s. Obviously the explanation for where it has all gone is disastrous productions like “The Debtors”, but it’s pretty amazing the raw amount of money he must have pissed away to be reduced to not paying hotel bills and squatting on previously owned property.

The main reason I feel bad for Randy Quaid is because his brother is so hot and he is… well, less so. That’s gotta sting.

I like following this thread. It’s amusing, in an absurd sort of way. It’s unbelievable the shitty luck the guy has. Or, it seems law enforcement all over the country just has it out for him. He couldn’t pee outside a crowded back alley bar without a cop being there to arrest him. Again.

They filed for bankruptcy protection in 2000. They got in IRS trouble for not paying taxes in 2004… and so on.

The Quaid’s have demonstrated a lot of paranoid and generally abnormal behavior over the past bunch of years. Mostly it appears that his wife is quite paranoid, but Quaid’s behavior got him a lifetime ban from Actors’ Equity.

The one time they were arrested, Evi produced a handwritten statement saying that the arresting officer, Deputy James Davis, was conspiring with their former business manager and a stagehands’ union, to extort money from them. She asserts that there is a murder plot in the works against them, hiring “the Mob” to kill them — poof of which is that Heath Ledger, Chris Penn, Natasha Richardson, and David Carradine were all murdered for having some kind of professional connection to Randy. Mercedes Benz is trying to collect on $60,000 they still owe for a car, but Evi wrote a letter saying they abandoned the vehicle because they believe a bugging device had been installed.

So you have allegations of drug use + crazy… it sounds more like they wouldn’t trust institutions or real financial planner to take care of their money. These are people who would probably hide money in a mattress and then run away from the mattress because it was listening to them.

With Quaid banned from stage work and fewer production companies unwilling to cast him (insurance liability) he’s not actually generating much as far new income either.

Huh? I don’t see how luck or cops having it out? for him have anything to do with it. It’s a crime to run out on your bill at a hotel, it’s a crime to squat illegally on someone else’s property, etc. He’s actually doing these things.

No kidding. Dennis was hot like a curry back in the day and Randy was just…Randy Quaid. I’ve always felt a little bad for him.