Anyone still not watching Survivor?

Hearing a brief description of the premise was enough for me to know I wasn’t interested in it. It sounds sort of like “Road Rules” meets “Lord Of The Flies.” Why bother? Most TV is bad enough without blaring the sucking noise through conch shells. It’s just never been any sort of priority.

Now, I just might watch maybe part of one segment at some point just so as to avoid being completely out of touch with the culture that loves this. I mean, the Mad Magazine parody of “The West Wing” ends with a “Survivor” reference that I literally had no clue about until someone else explained it to me. So maybe, if just to be au courant with satire … I don’t know. It would be silly to be proud of not watching it just because it’s popular, or to feel superior. Just as silly as to choose to watch every segment just because it’s popular, or to feel average.

Hello Rickjay.

I enjoyed your post to no end.

I am sure we will evolve to that point someday, and then maybe I will start watching these reality shows.

Makes me think of The Running Man. That was supposed to be a parody, but we have embraced such programs already.

I liked the show Climbing For Dollars-

Climb the rope while doberman’s snap at you if you fall.
The rope is greased. Grab money, have fun!

I’m sleepy. that’s why my post is made of short sentences and I don’t sound intelligent.

Nope, never seen any of them.

A bunch of schemeing, back-stabbing people, screwing each other for money? I get enough of that at work, thankyouverymuch.

I do watch ‘Who wants to be a millionaire?’ though, 'cause I’m a trivia buff.
Why is that considered a ‘reality’ show?

[aside] RickJay, I’d watch your shows though, those were great! [/aside]

Speaking of hanging out in a cage with snakes, two Chinese women recently spent 12 days in a cage with 888 poisonous snakes. Apparently the snakes frequently attacked one another, and every day they had to gather up the dead snakes and throw them out so that new ones could be added, keeping the number up to 888. They had a picture of one of the women sleeping, her body covered in snakes…
Brrr.
Oh, apparently one of them was bitten by a cobra while in the cage but successfully treated by the other using (depending on which source you read) either Chinese herbal medicine or anti-venom.

I don’t watch Survivor, or any of the other such shows. Calling them “reality” programs is the most flagrant example of false advertising I’ve ever heard.

Anyway, I choose not to watch because I don’t wish to participate in the decline of our society any more than I already do by being a public school teacher.
:wink:

Nope, I didn’t catch the first one, and don’t see much reason to change the habit. But, I also home school, which means I do housework in the evening, and into the night, sometimes. But, I think THAT is more interesting anyway! :wink:

Nope, not this girl, either. Almost watched one of the first season’s shows at a friend’s house. Too over-blown for me. Will watch “Millionaire”, but rarely make it thru a full episode. Can’t take Regis for more than 20 minutes. However, “Crime Scene Investigation (CSI)” has caught my interest. Who needs “Survivor”?

I started to watch the first series, but ended up channel surfing more than I did during any other program, and not caring that I came back well after the commercials were finished.
Though I did find Fenris’ parody much more entertaining (and much shorter) than the actual shows.

[sub]But I do watch “Cops”.[/sub]

I didn’t watch the first one and I won’t watch the second one. I haven’t seen a single episode of that millionare making show, either. I didn’t watch a moment of “Who Wants to Marry a Total Jerk.”

While I am at it, I have not and will not watch Arena Football and/or XFL.

I may be the only living human being who never watched one complete episode of “Dallas.” I was tricked into watching maybe the first ten minutes of the first episode.

Ah, that’s a bet you would lose, my friend. In fact, I’ve got you beat by about 10 minutes. :smiley:

Hate to belie my name, but I haven’t seen it (them) either. You see, I was in the Peace Corps for two years on an island a mile long by about 70 yards wide in the Pacific, and this surviving seems kind of tame and artificial to me.

My wife and I felt compelled, last season, to watch the last two “Survivor” episodes, after having skipped all of it up to that point. It had become such a cultural juggernaut, we felt like we were fuckin’ Amish or something because we didn’t know what everybody was talking about.

We watched the first episode of the new season, for similar reasons. We tried to watch the second episode, but when they got to where they were eating the bugs, we gave up. I almost barfed in the living room when those guys stuck those big squirming white grubs in their mouths; my wife had long since fled the room.

That was enough. Back to “Whose Line Is It Anyway” for these campers.